Good multiplayer game programming tutorials? (from beginner to advanced)

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Game Producer, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member

I tried checking out gamedev.net and googling for multiplayer programming information, but after searching for while I decided to the easy way :)

Do you guys have some links to multiplayer game programming? I've been doing this for a loooong time, but I think I might be blind to some better solutions and would like to get guidance on this.

Any recommendations?

2. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

And forgot to add that I'm especially interested in combat (close-combat) situations. I'd like to hear efficient solutions on how to inform about attacks, special moves etc.

3. dislekcia

dislekcia
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Yeah, most multiplayer tutorials out there seem to stop at the "establish connection" milestone. Very few people seem to think what you actually send is important at all... Meanwhile that's probably the hardest part of the whole exercise.

In any multiplayer game you've got three problems you need to solve: Timing, Identification and Determinism.

Timing is simple to explain: If you don't have a unified, identically progressive time system on all connected machines, you have a problem. You need to be able to sync time to be able to identify when things happen in the game and when messages arrive. The simplest timing system to use is a turn-based one, where machines move in lock-step through the game according to whose turn it is at the moment. The most complex is a real-time system, for obvious reasons.

Identification is all about being able to direct the correct data to the correct area in your game. You shouldn't need to worry about routing with most networking implementations, but you do need to come up with a way to uniquely identify each machine and have all other connected machines aware of that identification and "who they're talking to". You also need in-game identification to make sure you're sending info to/from the right objects. A grid-based identification system (as in chess) is the easiest to implement because it provides inherent identification via positional info. Once again, realtime games have the hardest time with identification because each object needs to be issued a unique (but synced!) identifier across all machines.

Determinism is the predictability of your game. You only need to send as much info across the network as you need to ensure matching game states across the board. So a very deterministic game will only require small amounts of information (ie: the exact choices the user made, because these are the only points that difference can exist in the system) whilst a completely non-deterministic game will require all the info that describes a state to be sent, sometimes as often as every timestep! Things like creating lists of random numbers, broadcasting or re-seeding them in chunks and creating time-based lookups for random-equivalents are ways to help creating deterministic gameplay that doesn't look pre-determined... Determinism also helps in lag-elimination and prediction in realtime games, but that's a whole different level of implementation.

Good luck. The key part of any multiplayer endeavour is to build the whole game with multiplayer's three problems (and their solutions in each case) in mind.

4. impossible

impossible
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Unfortuanately, like most things related to games that don't have to do with graphics, there isn't much information out there on multiplayer programming.

Brian Hook's Introduction to multiplayer programming and Quake 3 Networking model and both great high level resources. I would look into using a networking library like RakNet, ENet or OpenTNL, or at least looking at the source and tutorials to get some ideas about how to implement a UDP networking library. For a lower level guide to socket programming Beej's network programming. Googling client-side prediction and dead reckoning also might be useful.

It sounds like you're making a fighting game. Although there is very little information on networking fighting games out there, I think you'd want to go with a RTS-like peer to peer lockstep model. The game runs at a certain number of turns per second and each turn players send their inputs and an acknowledgement to move to the next turn. Turns per second can vary depending on network latency, but you'd try to update at a decent rate. The game simulation runs independently on each player's machine. Latency is covered through a combination of client side prediction and clever animation. DOA4 on Xbox 360 seems to work this way. When there is network lag the game seems to run animation until there is a "decision" point where it pauses until you receive the other player's input.

I've never implemented a networked fighting game or any kind of latency sensitive networked game, so take all my advice with a large grain of salt.

5. nick

nick
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I agree, despite the pervasiveness of multiplayer game modes, information on network programming as it pertains to games is sorely lacking. That page on Brian Hook's site is probably the best overview I've read so far, thanks for the link.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any tools (software or hardware) that can simulate various types of connection quality issues, such variable latency, packet loss, disconnects, etc? I saw an ad for the KillerNic "gamers" network card and it had a feature that let you set the amount of latency (faking a higher ping). Ideally, I'd like to be able to reproduce typical WAN connection problems in a controlled LAN environment.

6. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

We've built all that nasty stuff into our engine layer. You can set a few variables for packet loss percentages and stuff. I'd recommend this as it's the simplest way to do it, you keep a 100% speed connection if remote debugging, and its fine if you don't cheat. (Just throw that packet away, don't simulate it, ack it, anything. Just return false and ignore it).

One key point to be aware of is that there's a big difference between 2 player and multi player modes, especially for peer-to-peer. If you're playing chess and the other guy disconnets, the games' over. If there are 4 guys playing something and someone quits, you need to tell everyone else about it and carry on. If he was the host, you should consider promoting someone else instead of this lame "the host has shut down, we're done here" cop out.

For your first time out, get it working well with 2 players before adding the code to support >2. Staying "up" when one player leaves is actually quite a lot of the low-level work and for 2 players you can ignore it for a bit.

We've got a fairly decent network layer in our engine, but I didn't read much theory about the high-level side before starting. When you sit down and think about it, the problems kinda present themselves and are nicely summarised above.

Contrary to other opinons expressed above, I found it harder to do the low-level stuff tbh. Proxy issues, ICS, NAT punch-through and shared connections etc add a load of shit to your todo list once you try and deploy something in the real world and you find that only 10% of your audience can see each other.

I'd recommend a very thin "introductions only" server model that clients log into to find players, and then the game launches peer-to-peer when some are found. There will be no in-game server induced latency and you can run the intro server on any box - it doesn't do any game processing so can be done from your own website if need be. This is extra hassle but it does solve lots of problems getting clients to see each other as the server collates all the IP addresses and passes them back out. The fact that the clients connection to this server is "outgoing" means you'll actually *get* an IP address at that point that can make it back through a firewall and all the other crap.

7. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

Hi and thanks everybody for your assistance.

I print & read some of the articles: Q3 model, AoE1-3 models, RakNet tips. I also tried to find some more articles and came up with these:
    - http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=30 (gamedev network programming category)
    - http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2319.asp (server optimization)
    - http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20020916/lambright_01.htm (states & object views)

I also read some cubic splines & that sort of stuff.

key findings
    I'm still amazed that there's so little articles in this area of programming! Majority of articles are somewhere around 5 to 10 years old - and maybe it's just me, but it looks like the fundamentals have not changed much (of course we now have more bandwidth available and stuff like that, but there's for example one dead reckoning article dated back to 1997). Basically the Q3 system (and use of states) is something that's applied in modern games and so is the stuff that was explained in the Age of Empires article.

It strike to me that "big companies" aren't doing the networking in some "secret ways" (or they just don't share 'em ;)) - it looks like developers are using the same "basic" ideas (like defeating lag, using states etc.) and combining the stuff to make a good multiplayer experience.

So far I didn't find many new things, but rather got convinced that I'm going in the right direction already.

peer-to-peer?
    Brian Hook's article describes peer-to-peer as something where "client decides things" (like "did I hit the other player?")... but isn't that misleading? I mean... client can still "decide things", but the messages can go through server-client system (client tells server "I hit something" and then server tells other clients "who was hit").

Isn't the basic idea behind peer-to-peer that "everybody tells everybody" and in server-client "everybody tells server who tells everybody". Neither system is NOT saying "who can decide things" (=where game logic can be run).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

MTU
    RakNet has some programming tips and the MTU was totally new to me (thanks again for sharing this articles!)

It gave the following numbers:
    Basically this would suggest that 576 bytes would be the typical max packet size for dial-up users. I have wondered what the max packet sizes are and this info relieves my pain: I've wondered whether to send 40 byte or 100 byte packets as they get so big.

I still have a question: do you know if bigger packets have greater odds to get dropped? I mean... if you send 10 packets containing 50 bytes each, or 10 packet containing 500 bytes have these bigger packets greater chance to not to arrive their destination?

sharing my ideas
    Basically my game is sort of combination of RTS+FPS in terms of network programming. I don't need fast paced strikes or fast movement like in FPS games, but I will probably need bit faster updates than in RTS games. There will be something like 10-30 units fighting at screen (and none anywhere else).

I'm not going to go into peer-to-peer things, but rather use server-client model. The basic network logic will be something like this:
    - server tells everybody where everybody is and what their status are (with possible exception)
    - client tells server where they are going, who they want to attack and what powers/special moves they want to launch

That's basically it - I'm going to test what I'm doing with client movement: should server always check the real positions and let everybody know what's happening, or should the clients be able to move their OWN character right after they've clicked somewhere. I might do some sort of "lag calculation" and timestamp moves so that when ping is around 200-300 all units would start their movement same time.

8. electronicStar

electronicStar
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

9. Linusson

Linusson
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

10. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well, you can do that of course, but it'd be easier just to do it p2p. The main reason for using a server is that clients give it all their inputs, the server itself resolves the frame, then all the clients render the results. In this way there is no room for games going out-of-sync, and less potential for hackers to cheat. The down-side is that hiding the increased round-trip latency is an even bigger issue which generally scales up you code still more. p2p is not always an option, but ime it's one you should take if available.

11. nick

nick
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

12. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

Oh this is good stuff - thanks again. Let the printer sing! :)

@Applewood: the problem with peer-to-peer is that increases the bandwidth requirements for clients - I'm not sure if modem users could handle that load very efficiently (at least in my case). Anyway - I'm not going to argue whether to use server/client or p2p - I'm using server-client already. :)

13. Marshall

Marshall
    Expand Collapse

Is that for your game coming out in Q3 ?

Marshall.

14. jwc

jwc
    Expand Collapse

I see you've read his business plan too. Maybe he changed to Q3 2007 ?

15. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

It's for the game that's mentioned in the article although the deadline was postponed couple of months ago. There's some major changes in the development (and I'm announcing them "soon" in my blog ("soon" being somewhere before the next ice age)).

And feel free to start a new threads (or try some other threads) telling about my game deadlines, business plan, whatever... But please, I'd like to keep this thread on-topic: (high-level) multiplayer game programming resources.

Thanks.

16. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

It's for the game that's mentioned in the article although the deadline was postponed couple of months ago. There's some major changes in the development (and I'm announcing them "soon" in my blog ("soon" being somewhere before the next ice age)).

And feel free to start a new threads (or try some other threads) telling about my game deadlines, business plan, whatever... But please, I'd like to keep this thread on-topic: (high-level) multiplayer game programming resources.

Thanks.

---

Now... back to topic:

Thanks again for the Unreal article - http://unreal.epicgames.com/Network.htm - looks like a decent resource (for anyone in doing multiplayer games)

17. zoombapup

zoombapup
    Expand Collapse

You could do worse than check out the "Massively multiplayer game programming" books.. Those with Thor Alexander. Seem to be reasonble.

I'd also point you to the Tribes 2 network model paper the guys did for GDC a few years back.

http://www.garagegames.com/articles/networking1/

Multiplayer programming is definitely a fun little thing. Especially for physically simulated objects. I've still not seen a paper that actually does that subject justice.

18. impossible

impossible
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

You can't do this without massive cheating in a client server model. In client-server, you want the server to decide everything. Anything the client decides (collision detection, hits, etc.) is just prediction and if the server tells a client it is wrong it has to correct itself. In peer-to-peer, each client is authoritative and runs their own personal version of the game on their computer. They can cheat, but in theory cheating won't ruin the game for other players because players are running a "correct" version of the game on their machine.

The big problem you'd have with implementing a FPS style multiplayer model (with lots of prediction, throwing out packets, etc.) peer to peer is the game can quickly go out of sync because there aren't any discrete turns, this is why you need to do things in lockstep. If you're working on a FPS-RTS hybrid with 10-30 characters on screen client-server is the best way to go.

The answer is both. The client starts moving their own character right after you click and also tells the server "I want to move here." Then the server decides where the client is going and sends that update to all clients. If the client side state is out of sync with the server update, you have to correct as smoothly as possible... If you have a RTS\Diablo style click on a location to move its a little bit more lag tolerant than using direct keyboard input. You can send the destination and clients can pathfind on their own. I would still have the server send regular position updates.

This is a really good one that I forgot about.

These are all really nasty issues, but you also need a good high level architecture before you have to deal with them. Networking libraries like RakNet will take care of these low level problems for you, but high level stuff is tied to your game. Some pretty good info on NAT is available here. Check out the rest of the site for some other good articles on networking and game programming in general. He also has a NAT\match-making library called libintroduce.

Lots of good advice and links. This is definitely one of the better technical threads on indiegamer.

19. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

Hmm... well, it was focused on Massively - which goes bit different zone. Your suggestion made me think if there's any other recommended books (about "multiplayer game programming"). I tried search at amazon.com... with varying results. No proper book was found.

I checked it briefly. The concept of using bits to flag what to update seemed like a good idea.

I bet the physics add another dimension into it. I have no plans to use network physics in this game. Only for visual purposes if any. The gaffer.org article seemed to get quite deep into this subject.

@impossible:
    At least if you program things in that way in client server model. Which is not always the case (like massively multiplayer movement might be given to clients or something like that).

Luckily I won't need ultra-fast (like in FPS)...

Yes. I sort of thought that this would be how it will be done. Server is the authority and I'm going to read carefully the articles that dealt with smooth movement. Destinations/waypoints will be sent... and regular position updates as well.

I agree - great to see these comments/resources/links from everybody. This thread needs some sort of summary soon ;)

20. yanuart

yanuart
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

what about books ? can anyone suggest good books on this matter (network, multiplayer games, MMO development )?