Going full-time indie

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by zoombapup, Jun 30, 2010.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Recently I was looking around for other jobs (I currently teach game dev) and after meeting with a few middleware companies to see if I would fit in there, I've decided that my real passion lies at the creation end where design/programming meet. It felt like I needed time to work on my games.

Looks like now is the time. I'm finally going to concentrate most of my time on my indie dev. Although I will have some reasonably long-term commitments otherwise to bring a bit of income in, my primary focus will be on making games.

This is really a long time coming for me. I've got plenty of money stashed, low outgoings and some pretty neat game ideas. Plus I have low sales expectations and a generally robust set of skills which will focus mainly on social AI based gameplay (my main area of research interest and really the thing that excites me the most).

First project will be a full-on 3D thing, which I hope to make absurdly stylish and slick. I've got what I think is going to be a great asset pipeline in place (I'll be using UrbanPad to generate a lot of my content and pureLIGHT to light it all).

I'm probably going to make a crap ton of mistakes on the business end of things, but I dont care anyway. Life's for living right?

So wish me luck.

2. vjvj

Indie Author

Good luck! And don't slack too much! :D

I've been thinking about taking up a job similar to yours; I've been doing game contract work to pay the bills, and I think it's a mistake. Even part-time game dev has a really unpredictable schedule, so it's easy to fall out of your groove on your own projects. Plus, I personally just suck at context switching between different games. Maybe I should just get a job at Starbucks and be done with it :p

3. Vino

Vino New Member

Good luck!

My advice:

* Keep it small and simple, focus on time to market. You can't afford to work on it forever.
    * Break the project into many small goals for yourself to meet so you can always be making progress on something tangible. One or two weeks is a good length for me.
    * Prototype the gameplay early and make sure you spend a lot of your time on design, not programming and art.

4. MFS

MFS New Member

Good luck amigo!

QFT

5. J Fizzle

J Fizzle New Member

6. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

Good luck Zoom!

It's a tough decision and a scary one to make. Hopefully, you have what it takes and are able to make a ton of $$$ so you never have to worry about a "job" ever again.

7. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Congratulations all around for the new full-timers :)

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

"Wahay!" as you Northerners say. Good luck man! It'll be fun and a great learning exercise for sure.

9. thomasmahler

thomasmahler New Member

Congrats!

We also just went full-time indie.

Yay!

:)

10. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Do tell Thomas. To work on your initial prototype?

11. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

Yeah, good luck zoombapup, I hope it works out well! :)

(And well done to JForce too! - who would have guessed? :D )

12. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Congrats and best of luck.

I went fulltime too! Ah, wait, that was 6 years ago :D

Not to discourage you but I believe that right now is one of the toughest moments to be a fulltime indie!

13. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Great decision!
    Best of luck, Phil!

hope you don't forget all of you indie mates when you strike it mega-rich :D

Iain

14. hippocoder

Indie Author

Yup remember to buy all my games as a gesture of peace and harmony to those who didn't make it once you're a millionaire.

15. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Good luck! I hope to be joining you at some point in the distant future.

16. defanual

Original Member

Good wishes dude (and anyone else taking the plunge), I've always believed you make your own luck in this game so to speak. ;)

17. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Yesterday was my first day working as a full-time indie, too! Must be something going around...

Congrats, zoombapup! And to all the others, too!

18. Yshaana

Yshaana Guest

Congratulations and welcome to the party, we jumped this line a year ago today, and it has been nothing but blissful, sweet and tasty story of horror and hardships. But ain't it fun ???

19. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Sshhhh.... don't scare him ;)

I used to believe that, think I must have lost the luck generator source code somewhere though :p

20. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Not if you do $30 niche games that nobody else does though. :D