Go see ROTS

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by ggambett, May 22, 2005.

1. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

People were literally laughing out loud at the dramatic moments and love scenes in the cinema I went to see it in. I've never seen a film with such corny dialog.

2. Barknee Holden

Original Member

Then you certainly didn't see the first two. :p

If you thought the acting was bad, imagine having the task of acting out the crap that Lucas put down on paper. If you need validation that Portman is a good actress then see Leon the Professional.

3. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Happily, the vast majority of viewers rated this film over 8 out of 10. I think thats a good indication of taste for the casual market...

As for the 8 out of 10, don't take my word for it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121766/

This is my favorite all time film. It's a brilliant end to the star wars saga.

4. Abscissa

Original Member

"It's hip to be a square! Da da da da da!" (sorry :D )

Holy shit, that works for me! :eek:

5. Raptisoft

Indie Author

6. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Having made the mistake of seeing ep1, I avoided 2 and I'll avoid 3. It's probably much better than ep1, but I've seen nothing to convince me that it will be better than terrible.

7. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

I love the old trilogy (well, Star Wars, Empire and parts of Return of the Jedi).

I was shocked how bad Episode 1 was. I still went to see Episode 2, and I thought it was even worse. (And, no, the end-battle in Ep. 2 is not cool. Watching 20 minutes of computerized armies shooting in random directions, followed by a green frog hopping around Count Duckula doesn't exactly save a bad movie).

I still went to see Episode 3. :rolleyes:

It was "okay". Some scenes were fun, some scenes were dumb. Yes, the acting and script is still crap, but somewhat improved from Episode 2. (And BTW, the acting in the old trilogy is pretty bad too, but those movies didn't rely on long expository scenes with talking heads). I actually didn't care much for most of the action scenes (see below), but at least this movie had an actual semblance of a plot.

I also thought it was a frustrating movie, because it actually came close to being as cool as the old trilogy movies, if it weren't for some of Lucas' stupid ideas. Take, for example, the opening battle: it starts so promising, proto X-Wing fighters getting into position, huge battleships looming ahead, music is swelling. Then cute little droids that make funny sounds attack the ships and R2-D2 has to zap them with his cigarette lighter for the rest of the scene. What?!?!? What happened to the cool space-battle?

So I kept getting into the movie, only to be thrown out again by stupid "humorous" battle-droid dialouge (they sound like electric Urkels to me) or Wookies doing the Tarzan Yell (again! I can't believe Lucas used this "joke" again given how reviled that scene is in ROTJ).

Still, there were some good parts, and I might have even liked it a little. I might have to see it again, just to be sure, though. ;)

8. electronicStar

Original Member

It's funny how many people take the side of the empire now, I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of some sort of analogy between the emperor's rise and some recent geopolitical events (it's funny how the above article belittles the UN and compare the trade alliance to OPEC :rolleyes: ), analogy amplified by LUCAS' choice for certain sentences in the dialogue...

Anyway back on topic: After seing episode3 I saw episode 4 (the TV here is broadcasting the whole 5 movies one every week) and now I can't help to feel depressed. I don't know why, maybe it's because I know the story is complete now, maybe it's because the old trilogy doesn't excite my imagination anymore...I feel a bit sad. Let's call that "post episode 3 depression syndrome":p

9. Vorax

Original Member

I hope it's not dead, because that's the kind of game I am making :)

10. Lerc

Indie Author

Probably a good plan. I thought episode three was quite good, but if you had to endure episode 2 to see it then it's probably a pass.

I did actually watch Episode 2 a couple of weeks ago and remember thinking at the end of it "You know, that one could be edited into a good movie"

I still hold out hope that they have a lot of the raw footage of eps 1-3 so that one day someone can re edit them all to be a lot better.

The advantage of Jar-Jar being totally CG is that he coulde be taken out completely.

11. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Those who haven't seen it and are star wars fans - just have some faith, spare a couple of hours for me. I'm asking you to see it - it is on par with empire strikes back. It deserves to be seen in the cinema.

12. etali

Original Member

All I can say is it is a million times better than episode 1. I thought episode 2 was OK (bit soppy, but after the shock of 1 it was alright) and 3 felt a little clumsy but still interesting - it was more 'star warsy' than the rest.

I agree there were some flaws to it. The version I saw at the cinema had some horrid jumps and skips in certain scenes, but I'm guessing thats just the cinema I went to being rubbish.

I would see it, but not because its great, just to complete the series.

Yes Lucas, you won, you got my money by releasing mediocre stuff under a good name :(

13. Ricardo C

Original Member

I've seen it five times so far, and plan to go at least a couple more times before forcing myself to give my wallet a break and wait for the DVD.

I loved Episode I, liked but didn't love Episode II (it's a collection of great scenes wrapped in a shitty love story), and I'm not exaggerating when I say I rank Episode III as the best of the six. I've argued the naysayers on film-related boards, but I won't do that here. Too happy to care :D

14. soniCron

Indie Author

At the risk of causing a commotion, could you tell us why you thought it was the best of the series? Or, more specifically, what did it for you?

15. Ricardo C

Original Member

I think it's a very touching tale of how low a basically good person can fall, all through poor choices. I also like the reason Anakin has for turning rogue. He wants power and control, but only so he can save someone else. He's a mass-murdering fascist with a heart, what can I say? :D

While I'm aware that the film derives much of its emotional impact from being informed by the rest of the series, it's also true that it lends new emotional weight to key parts of he original trilogy, and makes the Return of the Jedi sequences between Vader and Luke that much more emotional. So it's a two-way street. "I am a Jedi, like my father before me", already my favorite line from the originals, is now that much more dear to me now. And Vader's funeral pyre scene will never feel the same again.

And from a strictly fanboy perspective... I get choked up during the "Order 66" montage :eek:

16. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Ricardo, it's nice to see someone else who enjoyed Episode 1 :)

17. Sharkbait

Original Member

Just saw Episode III yesterday. I think the movie ties reasonably well with the 'old' episodes IV, V and VI and it illustrates Anakin's fall as the classical saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I must say I also found the change of allegiance a bit too drastic.. in particular I couldn't fathom how he could have brought himself to kill the underling jedi's.

18. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

(spoiler) I wondered about that as well, but then the question remains... how persuasive is the Dark Side? For me, I think the rapid change had a lot to do with the almost mystical effects of the Dark Side (something we've seen all Jedi fight against mentally in all the Starwars movies), and not just a change in Anakin's attitude.

19. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

I loved the old Tie Fighter PC game. On the PS2 there was Star Wars Star Fighter and it was great! There's been many great space fighter games, atlas most on the consoles.

You know in ep 1 if you ignore all Jar Jar scenes it actually was pretty good, ep 2 was great if get over the bad dialog, ep 3 was awesome and little bad dialog.

Question... why do Jedi get weak equipement and make such poor decisions? How about a portable shield generator and a blaster in the other hand. In ep 2 why squander 10s of Jedi to save 2 and why not wait 5 minutes for backup? In ep 3 why pause when could have easily finished off both Sith. When have the "good guys" ever failed to accomplish the goal by doing the dirty deed... did the Yankees not burn Atlanta, did the Allies not fire bomb Tokyo, did they not drop the a-bomb?

20. Abscissa

Original Member

I don't know if you've played it (or are even intersted in the series), but that reminds me of how Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2) explains the origin of Dracula. Different details, of course, but still another tale of a basically good person falling, and how it can happen. (Heck I can kinda sympathize more with Dracula than the Belmonts after that.) But I'm getting a bit offtopic now...