getting single minded

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by zoombapup, Sep 3, 2009.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Back when I was working on worms, there were times when I was REALLY single minded. I mean literally only concentrated on one thing. It wasnt just the work hours, I mean those were harsh, but even non work hours were concentrated on the game.

It faded off just before I left the industry, turns out that was partly due to a medical condition (now fixed).

And now.. damn I'm back in that groove! Cant stop thinking about my game.

Which is a bit of a mare considering I have to be back at work on 21st :)

Do you guys get single minded like that?

2. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Not that I consider it a good thing for myself, but absolutely.

3. ChrisP

Indie Author

Yep. To the extent that it gets you into "flow" state, having that intense focus can be useful. Of course, if it interferes with other things then it does become detrimental. It's important to be able to recognise when that's happening and break out of it when necessary.

University has taught me enough self-discipline to be able to break out of it, simply out of necessity - i.e. I need to stop thinking about my games so I can get my assignments done! :) It's not fun and it's not always pretty, but it's necessary enough that I can push myself into it.

Now to learn the self-discipline necessary to stop posting on forums when I have assignments due. :rolleyes:

4. richtaur

Indie Author

No, I never get that really. I get intensely into one project, but then I'll go home and work intensely on something completely different. I've always got a handful of projects going, some professional and some not. Unsure if that's a good or bad thing ;)

5. princec

Indie Author

Definitely. I usually end up working till 3am most nights. Lately though I have to wait for Chaz to do some contract work so I've been spending my time developing a unique pen-and-paper RPG system, and I've been up till 3am working on that instead. Then even when I go to bed I'm still thinking about it!

Cas :)

6. cliffski

I don't really pay attention to my games. I spend a lot of time watching daytime TV and eating cakes, and I normally get around 20 minutes coding done in-between web surfing each day.

Not really.

I'm pretty focused on the games, even though I can flit between doing a dozen different tasks. It depends what you are working on. if I'm optimising code, I can work a good 4 hours without moving from my chair, eating, drinking or taking my headphones off. Thats not a good way to be, but it does get results.

7. JGOware

Indie Author

I will "hyper focus" for 12-18 hour sessions. Lose track of time, lose track of family and friends, etc, etc. Then I'll look forward to a few days off where all I'm doing is thinking about code again. Horrible...but it's been that way since I first booted up Atari Note Pad. ;)

8. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, I'm the same.

Only I tend to find I work best in bursts rather than long sustained effort.

I find that I'll be totally focused for a few days / weeks, depending on what else is going on in my life, during which time I can work seriously hard for long hours but then I just coast for a similar length of time.

I've also found that it doesn't seem to matter if I've been working focused during the sprint time or not, during the coast times I just can't work as hard. :rolleyes:

Iain

9. royb20644

royb20644 New Member

I think sometimes we need to get single minded like that but we should be like that when its needed. But when it isn't then we shouldn't be single minded.

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Recently when I was crunching to get Spring Bonus done I was doing extremely long weeks and working at the weekend, and there was even a week when my family went away and I worked like crazy. During those times I only thought about the game. I didn't even leave the house, I just ate, slept and coded. I had a really good comprehension of what was left to do for my game and what next etc. but it was hard to stop thinking about it and go to sleep.

11. MindToy Games

MindToy Games New Member

Umm, that sounds really unhealthy if I may say so. :) I did have a project that I did that on, and it took a huge toll on my health at the time (gained like 4 pounds in 5 days, ouch!). To be fair, Spring Bonus was a slick, well-made game, what little I played of it.

12. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I used to get that way when I had more time to spend on game development (after school and into the night), but nowadays I just spend one night a week working on game development so its hard to have that same mindset.

13. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Haha Novelty Cake Tins... spam posts are getting more advanced I swear!

14. Karja

Original Member

I second this. When I was at the university I could take weeks working on music or programming or whatnot in a flow mode, but nowdays the context switches introduced by work/commute/spending time with significant other/worrying about various things makes it impossible to go into a hyper flow like that. I can still get completely hooked for a few hours, but rarely more than that.

15. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I coded the whole game at a standing desk, so I actually lost weight and got strong legs :) Also the crunch was only for a few weeks, but afterwards I was burned out.

16. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

This thread has been bumped by a caketin-selling spambot.

17. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

a standing desk.... uhhhh... yikes, thats hard-core dude

18. ManuelMarino

Original Member

hyper focusing probably it's common for programmers. In music you have to wander with your mind and catch the right inspiration, and focusing then on the score when you have the idea in your mind. focusing and wandering and vice versa. is it the same for you?

19. Grey Alien

Indie Author

It certainly added an extra dimension to the challenge of crunching to get an Easter-themed game out on time.

20. Shaz

Why, and would you do it again? (the standing desk, not the weeks-on-end of 24/7 coding)