Getting on PSN?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by zoombapup, Aug 8, 2009.

1. zoombapup

zoombapup
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member

I'm interested in getting my game on at least one of the console platforms.

My intention is to get the game to playable prototype stage and then fund the dev to completion on whatever platforms I can get it on.

So I'm wondering, whats the skinny on getting a game on PSN?

Ideally, I'd like to just get hold of the various devkits and pay someone to work on the game for me on one of them (so at least we have a console port already to go at release then) while I make sure we can run the PC/Mac versions.

The reason why I'm interested in getting it on PSN is the potential to use the PhyreEngine code for it. Ideally if I'm going to go that route, I'd rather get the engine code knocked up using it sooner rather than later. I know how much of a pain it can be to get the bloody playstation version of a game to work when you've written the majority of it on a PC. Not having any of the Xplat stuff I used to use, it scares me that we'll get so far into PC dev that its basically a complete re-write to get the same thing on a PS3/Wii/360.

Is it possible to get approval for a devkit without having a publisher? Can I just pitch a particular game and then buy a devkit if that gets the ok?

Its not really a huge sticking factor, I'm just trying to think ahead a bit.

2. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

We've recently done this and compared to both Nintendo and MS it was joyously pain free. Literally a couple of emails.

We now have the right to buy kit, plus a designated product manager to handle their side of coin, and the cool thing is we haven't even pitched our proposals yet. (We did mention what we intended and they'd said there'd be no problem. I kinda think that unlike MS they'll let market forces decide who the winners are)

I'd advise signing up as soon as possible so you can get on the dev's site and download the SDK and docs etc.

3. zoombapup

zoombapup
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member

Thanks Paul,

I think I'll do that.

4. chubigans

chubigans
    Expand Collapse