Getting into Writing?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Tanner B, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Tanner B

Tanner B New Member

So I've always loved writing and I have had my writing published on small sites. (Non-fiction) But I'm more interested in writing fiction, especially for games. I figured this was the best place to start, and wanted to know if writing is something that you just fall into, or if you work into it like all others.

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks all.

2. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Silly or not, I can relate to you on a few levels in terms of writing actually. Though the answer for this is all based on your background and history for writing. Some have that natural interest, some just have the job of getting into it.

3. arzi

Metacritic 75+ Indie Author

I have a couple of published short stories and have done writing for a handful of games, and I can say it's definitely something you need to put a lot of work into. Writing is a craft, the same way as programming, art or any other aspect of game development and writing for games is often harder than for traditional media. Fortunately, there's a ton written about creative writing for books, film and television, which is a good way to start learning the craft. I don't have any references right here, but I can give some recommendations later, if you want.

4. Saneia

Saneia New Member

5. Darkscript

Darkscript New Member

As it has been my experience, writing comes predominantly from the soul. Sure there are innumerable technical aspects to writing such as proper grammar, punctuation, formatting… so and on so forth. To me the most important part is one’s own dedication and passion.

Like anything else, the more you practice the better you’ll surly become. I’ve been writing for most of my life, and I constantly look back on older stories and think, wow this is terrible. Then I rewrite them and think, this is incredible, only to later compare them to my current level of skill and once again wonder why I wrote so poorly.

Writing, especially fiction, is a lot like other forms of art. There are few wrong answers and a lot of it is up to personal interpretation. As far as game writing goes, that really does depend on what genre you’re writing for, as well as other factors. However, like any story I believe that the key components involved in crafting a well written story are developing dynamic, believable, personable characters with real world problems and emotional attachments, so that to the user/reader feels a deep and human connection with the story. Good writing embodies the best and worst parts of what makes us human, and allows us to examine ourselves in a way that we might not have considered previously, from new angels. It tells moving stories, that don’t always need to be Epic.

What I would advise for any writer, is work on developing meaningful characters with relatable experiences. It’s my opinion that the silliest idea can be made into a moving story with good characters, whilst the most rational idea can be soiled by faulty and underplayed ones. As for the technicalities of writing, well I’m not one to speak on that. With practice and dedication virtually anyone can become great and virtually anything.

Write what you love, and write for yourself. You’re always your toughest critic.