GDT Ratings & Reviews -- Now Live

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TMichael, Sep 2, 2008.

1. TMichael

TMichael New Member

The GameDeveloperTools.com Ratings & Reviews system is now live! Please stop by and rate your favorite books, engines, libraries, and other tools.

At the heart of the new system is the Total Score, which is calculated using both the average rating and product popularity. Read more about the Total Score here.

A number of other features have been added since launch. Highlights:

- The database now includes more than 2000 books, engines, libraries, and other tools
    - There are now more categories in Engines/Libraries
    - There is now a full directory option in Engines/Libraries
    - Tools->Physics now has four categories
    - Tools->File Management has expanded to eight categories
    - Tools->Audio now has two categories
    - Perl and JavaScript have been added to Books->Programming

About GameDeveloperTools.com:

GDT was created to provide a one-stop resource of available tools for game developers everywhere. While there are many great resources currently available, few are kept up to date, and nowhere can you browse every category in one place.

The website houses an ever-expanding database with links to more than 2000 books, engines, libraries, and other tools. Our goal is to be as comprehensive as possible, and in that vein I encourage visitors to contact us with submissions, corrections, suggestions, or questions.

2. Red27

Indie Author

Looks very promising.

Have you thought about perhaps adding a "guest" rating?

Sometimes people can't be bothered to register just to vote. I know that this offers opportunities for devs to vote on their own products, but would allow quick ratings for "active" products.

3. TMichael

TMichael New Member

Hi Red,

Thanks for the suggestion!

I would have avoided the entire registration project if I could have, but it was necessary. Having visitors register before adding a rating/review helps to prevent some people from repeatedly spamming ratings to artificially inflate (or deflate) rankings, which would render them meaningless in my opinion.

Of course, you can only do so much to prevent cheating, but it does help. On the flip side, registration is easy, and unlike some other sites, a comment/review is optional.

PS: Devs are encouraged to vote on their own projects! Everyone should have a vote, so there's no reason why a developer can't get the ball rolling. :)

4. JGOware

Indie Author

I "think" you have a bug...

When I click on the wide button "Latest Tools" it takes me to.

http://www.gamedevelopertools.com/middleware/index.php

Which then displays: Showing 1 - 8 of 35 results for "2DGraphics"

I didn't search or enter anything about "2DGraphics". ;)

Plus along with the general information about each product, I think you need a few lines describing the product. As it is now, you can get more relevant information doing a Google search.

I LOVE the idea of your site, but it needs to be more than a search engine for long term success. ;)

5. TMichael

TMichael New Member

Hi JGO:

2DGraphics is just the default page you reach after clicking Tools. It's the first category alphabetically on the menu.

Thanks for the suggestion! I like the description idea, but it would be difficult to populate and maintain. A good description is not always listed on the product homepage, so it can be quite subjective. To be fair, I prefer to simply categorize and let the product homepages speak for themselves. ;)

An editable description has been discussed (like a mini-wiki), which would allow developers to describe their own products, so that's one option. Of course, the rating/review system also serves the same purpose.

Good ideas, keep 'em coming... :)

PS: Another thought-- now you've got me thinking JGO.

Now that Ratings & Reviews is live, I could create a new homepage for each area populated with the top ranked products. This would eliminate the need for a default search page or any other type of filler. I'll work on this after I complete editable reviews...

#5 TMichael, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Very nice, very nice!