gDebugger now free. Brilliant toolset.

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by zoombapup, Dec 11, 2010.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Couldnt help but share this..

If you are doing ANY opengl work. This is a must have tool. It used to be quite expensive, but its now free.

http://www.gremedy.com/purchase.php

Basically, its a frame debugger, like microsoft pix (if youre using directx you should already know about pix, if not, go find it immediately).

I've already seen some horrors in my own render code spotted with gDebugger (like 34% of my batches having 1 vertex in for some reason). It can help you see the wood for the trees, specifically about batches, because you might have duff models in your scene and not know they are killing performance.

highly recommended.

2. princec

Indie Author

Brilliant! I was just lamenting thinking about spending actual money on it the other day. And now it's free!

Hmm, 33% redundant state change calls.

Cas :)

3. Tobias

Indie Author

Finally... the lack of reasonably priced tools hasn't helped OpenGL.

4. vjvj

Indie Author

OMG, thanks for the heads up! My license just expired last month and I was about to renew it! LOL...

It's great both for profiling and debugging... Debugging OGL can be a pain in the ass sometimes (like when it fails to load a shader and then silently replaces it with a default shader, grrrr), so gDEBugger can really save you some time and headaches.

5. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

I haggled with their sales guy a while ago, but the best offer was a few hundred dollars for a year's license, so I'd been putting off paying until I _really_ needed it. If they'd sold it rather than trying to rent it out, I'd have happily paid up.

It's a great tool.

6. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Android going (more) Native; gDEBugger going free; Merry xmas coders!

7. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Explain please? android? native?

8. Julio Gorge

Original Member

Starting with Android 2.3, you can now write Android apps without a single line of Java. Problem is the adoption rate of Android 2.3 is likely going to ve very slow, akin to 2.2. But good news anyway.