GDC 2005? Whos going?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by NANDO ARCE, Oct 7, 2004.

1. NANDO ARCE

Original Member

Anyone heading out to GDC 2005 in San Fran?...Im gathering some info and might possibly be looking into spliting hotel room costs...I hear this one (as well as other ones im sure) is not to be missed...this year it seems everyone will be a little out of their element from past GDC's since the venue is new so im glad is my first one... :)

NANDO
    Damselflymusic.com

2. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I will probably be going through work.

3. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

I will be going again this year. (err, I mean next year) I submitted a couple of proposals for speaking. They have always rejected me in the past. Maybe this will be the year they pick me. I spoke to one of the panel members who decides which topics are picked and he said there was a huge number of proposals for talks about casual/downloadable/web/indie games. This particular panels is a console guy so he wasn’t excided about this.

4. Jim Buck

Indie Author

James, were you the guy from Reflexive at Steve's roundtable that was tall-ish with blonde hair and glasses? I always that you were that guy, but I was never sure.

5. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Sounds like me. Especialy if I always had something to say. I was at Stev's roundtable last at the last GDC

6. rmxsteady

Original Member

i hope to attend this one. it being held in sf is a plus, but it's not like it makes much of a difference cause san jose wasn't that far away anyway. is this where they plan on holding the conferences every year now or does it change every so often? oh and i was wondering, what type of passes do you guys plan on getting?

7. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Ok, now I can associate a few names on this board with faces. :) Yeah, I remember you had a lot of input with the various topics discussed at that round table. Very interesting stuff. I did stay overtime for the very last session, but eventually my wife dragged me out of there.

rmxsteady: The GDC is usually in San Jose but has on occasion been in different places (from what I recall).

8. Chaster

Original Member

I plan on attending. I skipped this year for the first time in like half a decade. The best one was when they had it in Long Beach.... That was a lot of fun and well run... Lately, it's become a lot more "corporate" and the price has been going up and up while the food has been getting worse and worse... But oh well, that's the GDC for ya...

Chaster

9. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

If there was any possible way I could justify the expense, I would go.

10. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Does anyone know if Steve Pavlina will again be doing an indie game development roundtable? I know he may be too busy with his current endeavor. That alone was worth going to GDC for last year. (I went to the last two of the three he had earlier this year.)