GameStop to own Impulse service

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Musenik, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Musenik

Original Member

2. electronicStar

Original Member

Wow, after kongregate, Impulse. Gamestop is up to something...
    And both of these acquired websites are relevant mostly to indie devellopers...

3. HMAudio

HMAudio New Member

I guess it's good they're trying to break out of the used games business? Waiting to see...

4. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I have a lot of respect for Brad Wardell and not so much for Gamestop so I have mixed feelings about this.

5. terin

Original Member

We can all agree that their customer service in store is lackluster, but that doesn't really mean the company isn't profitable. If the amount of sales they lose is less than the cost of paying competent employees ... well, lets just say nobody is in a position to judge if their plan is a good one unless you know people who work in their HQ.

What we DO know is they've been acquiring very specific technology companies. They're not doing it accidentally. They're snagging high profile, high market share, but not DOMINANT companies. Why? Well, they have a plan. I don't know if its a GOOD plan, but given the state and certain death of brick and mortar game stores I have to say I applaud them for diversifying, to me it is a sign of smart management making a difficult decision to leave their dominant industry and focus on new technology and new outlets. Of course, it could blow up in their face and bankrupt the company before just sitting on their funds would... but I like to see a company on the move.

So, whatever, I am all for this acquisition. I think it has the potential to create a second steam size portal and for you who care about selling your games- this is a golden opportunity to get in good with the a new content stream. They're going to want to make a good impression on developers AND they are going to want to test the waters with products that may not have normally caught their eye. Don't screw it up ;)

6. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

This is good news, Stardock (Impulse) are still the biggest seller of our games by a long way and have been for over 6 years. This can only mean more cash for us full-time indies (as of next week anyway) :)

7. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

That's some good advice. We do already have Pahelika on impulse though. Too bad steam wouldn't take it :(