games like Dungeon Keeper?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by bvanevery, Sep 3, 2007.

1. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

Did anyone ever do anything like Dungeon Keeper? I suppose Evil Genius did. But somehow, playing the demo, evil bad guy bases just don't feel like the same thing as digging holes in the dirt and building dungeon walls.

2. MrGoldfish

Original Member

I liked Evil Genius. Had it's flaws but what game doesn't. Can't think of any other games with the similar concept of building tunnels etc.

#2 MrGoldfish, Sep 3, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  3. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Evil Genius was fun. You *might* like also Overlord (AAA game - it has a free demo somewhere). There you control minions, but it's more action oriented than Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius (which I both own)

4. tagged

Original Member

My game actually started out as a tribute to dungeon keeper and theme hospital (love those games!).. Unfortunately I doubt you could see it in the game now, it was changed way too much.

But I have already laid out plans for games heavily inspired by each, not really spiritual sequels but the influence will be very in-your-face. The first one I plan to put into development, after the Design Document and prototypes are done, is very Dungeon Keeper-ish, so I'm glad people are still looking for games like this as I really felt my heart break when bullfrog was killed :( Peter Molyneux hasn't been the same since (IMO).

Both games really need a sequel/continuation, and it's really sad that both had plans that were brought down. I'm not so sure a DK3 on land would have been as fun, but I would have liked to have decided that myself! Oh and don't anyone dare mention Hospital Tycoon :mad:

5. arcadetown

Loved the Dungeon Keeper series. Always wondered if anyone would try it in download market as it's much more simple than your typical harder core RTS. It could be simplified even more and think could do well in download/casual market. A good example is Escape From Paradise which is an uber simplied RTS (could be simplified even more IMO) and it's performed very well sales wise across the board.

Your Bio Deamon has become angry and left the dungoen.

6. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

[Overlord] demo is awesome. I cleared the Demo, and liked it. But [Overlord] could be different from [Dungeon Keeper]. In fact, has something common with [Pikmin] style. :)

7. voxel

voxel New Member

A Pikmin Dungeon Keeper would be hilarious. Somebody make it so!

8. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

The Overlord demo is cool! I'll probably buy that when I have the time. I think it's a pretty effective demo, I dig the humor. Like joyously slaughtering sheep and pumpkins.

9. Game Producer

Aye - it's nice :)

10. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

I'd like to see more dungeon keeper like RTS games, just loved the way they played :)

11. tagged

Original Member

I forgot about Dwarf Fortresss I have played it a few times but I admit I can't get past the whole ASCII thing :eek: If it had a graphical GUI and tiles/sprites I believe it would be a game I would always come back to play. It has a whole host of really neat features, so if you can bare the lack of graphics you will love it :D