Game Tunnel redesign complete...I hope...

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by cyrus_zuo, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Gmicek

Original Member

If there's factual errors in the review I'm sure Russell would change them. Early on I noticed a review on GT that has a factual error that really affected the score. I emailed Russell and it was fixed, and the score was adjusted appropriately.

No, to help promote the larger scene. If all your interested in is promoting your own game then you're going to be very lonely. Most developers see the wisdom is supporting gaming news sites/publications because generally speaking it helps everyone, even if it's in an indirect way.

I got a PM from you saying to check it out, you said in it you didn't care whether I reviewed it or not, just wanted me to check it out. I won't even comment on your developer interest note because it's just too funny. With any luck you don't use the same wording with other review sites.

2. tentons

Indie Author

Well, you've got to make money to survive. And how many print magazines do you read that don't contain ads every 1-3 pages? How is that different from a web site that also has to survive?

It seems that some developers here creating games to make money don't seem to want to acknowledge that necessity in others. :rolleyes:

3. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

For the record, Bytten has not made any money at all in 18 months. Andrew and I never intended Bytten to be commercial, I want to illustrate it is possible to run a website without making money from it! The subsidiary benefits of new friends and contacts, staying in touch (by force of deadline) with the indie game world and the occasional review copy of software can equal the sometimes large workload of running a website.

Mark
    Bytten Independent Games Magazine
    http://www.bytten.com

4. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Hey Mark,

I know I am taking your quote out of context, but I am pretty sure this was proven by quite a few companies in the year 2000. :D

All kidding aside, the important thing to remember here is the term "free press" does not mean you work for free. It means you are free to report on anything (well it used to). Mark is in a unique situation because he has a coulple of quality shareware titles to sell.

I would be interested in hearing people sugestions on business models for sites such as Game Tunnel. I am pretty sure charging the end user is not workable?

5. Gmicek

Original Member

You also develop, and sell, your own games. At least one of which is advertised on Bytten. Think of it like this. If the staff of PC Gamer released their magazine without advertisements every month, but also created their own commercial games, how do you think people would react?

Illustrating that you can run a website without making money from it doesn't accomplish anything, because millions of people do it every day. Having GT and DIY generate income is a good thing in my opinion, not just for Russell and I. I know that at DIY we've managed to pay for our next two years of hosting. Next we'll spend our money on advertising and helping to pay for IGC and GDC. That income is helpful for everyone involved with DIY (whether it's the staff, or the people who have their products featured there) because it means more traffic for DIY, more exposure for indies in general, and (hopefully) more exposure for individual games and developers.

6. fusionlab

Original Member

Er, you probably didn't pick the best example - in the UK at least, PC Gamer has its own budget label of PC games (in conjunction with a company called Mastertronic). They even have the cheek to review their own games!

I agree with you Gmicek that there's nothing wrong with mixing editorial with self-serving advertisements. I used to publish video game magazines which were crammed with adverts for our own gaming products (and the odd feature too!). Neither game publishers nor readers seemed to mind - I think I only ever received one letter from a reader complaining about the ads.

At the end of the day no one is forcing you to have your games featured on any of these sites. If you don't like the way they act then, with all due respect, their are other gaming sites out there which have much larger readerships so perhaps you should be focusing on them.

#26 fusionlab, Sep 24, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  7. Gmicek

Original Member

You actually lost me about halfway through your post. I know the first two paragraphs were directed at myself, but I'm not sure about the third, hehe. Anyway, I think the point of the whole conversation is that if someone doesn't like the way things are being done they should possibly make constructive suggestions, or spend 30 seconds to think about the situation. There most certainly are websites with much larger websites than us, but very few websites post about the latest puzzler, or side scrolling coin collection game being released, much less actually reviewing them.

8. fusionlab

Original Member

I just re-read my post Gregory and you're right - the third paragraph wasn't directed at you. ;)

9. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Well here are my verdicts (for better or worse ;))

I'm leaving my downloads section as is.
    No-one had any suggestions on how to make the changes that had been suggested, and I'm affraid that no work on my part to keep a download section that is continually updated and generates a large percentage of my site's revenue is a no brainer.

I will, however, be changing the front page so that the downloads listed there are 'recommended downloads' that will list whatever downloads I'm high on at the moment. The list will probably look something like:

Gates of Troy
    Wik
    Outpost Kaloki
    Gish
    Chromentum
    Global Defense Network
    Airstrike 2
    Ricochet Lost Worlds
    President Forever
    Smugglers 3

Anyway, thanks for the input. I do want to just agree with what Greg has stated here thoughout. More indie exposure helps everyone, and GT and DIY do more and can do more with more income, its just natural. I'm pretty sure none of you started a 3rd game without any hope of making income on it. And there have been plenty of developers who have called it quits after not making enough off of their first couple of games even though they did it for 'enjoyment.' Same goes here, I do the site b/c I enjoy it, however there comes a point where if there isn't enough pay for the time, then it is time to move on to something else (which would only thrill my wife and family ;) ).

Thanks again for considering the sites as you consider how to plan your marketing strategy and for wanting them to be better, certainly if Greg and I had unlimited time and capital they would be giving Gamespot a run for its money. :D