Game publishers

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by synchar, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

I think you'll have the best chance if you find another programmer (who knows server stuff) and an artist, team up with them (splitting any future profits three ways), develop the game, server, with all the art and everything, and start making money from it.

Once you have players and the money is coming in, contact a publisher and you'll have a good chance to get yourselves a deal.

2. RyanB

RyanB New Member

You need a working demo, not necessarily the entire game. In some cases, publishers will accept a video showing simulated gameplay from very experienced developers.

From your description of the game, you could probably make it entirely in Flash. You don't really need a publisher for a Flash game.

#22 RyanB, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  3. synchar

Original Member

I thought about flash...I've decided to stay away from that if possible because I just want the game to look a little more full then that...Plus in the long run I think it might possibly offer me some more controll over what all we'll be able to do.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I'm gonna go and finish fleshing out my idea, find the help I need (hopefully, I may have to call in a favor or two :p) and get to work.

4. mooktown

Original Member

:p

5. Obscure

Indie Author

You mentioned earlier that beggars can't be choosers but here you are choosing again.

• You have a game idea but don't have the resources to make it.
    • You also don't have the necessary industry experience to get a publisher to fund you (small publishers will work with inexperienced developers but won't fund development, large publishers will fund development but only work with experienced development teams).

So, instead of wasting time chasing impossible funding you need an alternative plan. Mattias Gustavsson's plan is the best one, team up with some other indie developers and make the game in your spare time (funded from day/part-time job) and then offer it to a publisher when its finished.
    An alternative suggestion would be to stop trying to be a big development studio ('cos your not), put your big idea in the draw and come up with a smaller idea that you can accomplish. Get a small game finished and work up from there.

As for Flash.... The Behemoth are a game dev studio born from a flash game. They made Alien Hominid as a Flash Game and then built on its success to get console versions made.