Game Music ( only 40$/track )

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by Barlok, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Leper

Original Member

I design music for free, because I've already got a decent job and I'm just looking for a good reason to be passionate about songs I create. It doesnt really cost money to design music, it just takes time. Of course you can say "Time is money" but only if you're on the clock.

I've got some tracks you could always listen to, and they are royalty free. I also design music for specific games (am working with two different developers atm) and I'll do it for free.

I figure once I have a very strong portfolio built up (maybe 5 years from now) I'll start charging...

2. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Uhmmm ;)

This is weird, because a developer will always ask you to charge, or the licence agreement would not be legal.

Also 1$ :D lol, but it's a charge.

By the way, if you don't have music production costs then... well, this is weird too!!! ;) I don't believe it. Maybe you just like to produce music and invest your money in it but don't tell people you don't have costs. It's impossible.

3. Leper

Original Member

License agreement? My music is licensened for public use. Custom music I make for developers is not under any license agreement. I wont complain if I'm in the credits.

4. ManuelMarino

Original Member

It's risky for a producer to hire you for free. Think about it. Think about the legal issues about it.

5. Leper

Original Member

Considering I design the music myself, and I already purchased the software that designs the music a year ago; I have no costs. If I want I can say, "Well the computer costed me $1500.00 and the Software costed me $1000.00" but that's like saying "I only bought this computer and the software to make music for YOUR game" - Thing is; I bought the computer to play games, I bought the software to make music for fun. I've been making music my whole life and never charged anyone a dime. I get more satisfaction that people actually are listening to it. Granted, I'm always about making some cash, but I dont see why I should considering I have a weak portfolio.

6. Leper

Original Member

Risky? What am I risking? What am I liable for? If there is no money on the line there is no liability. I also feel that most people will go with someone who charges money and who is set up as a business just because they probably seem more reliable! :)

Granted, I just want to be part of development of an indie-game. I am doing this because I want to :)

#66 Leper, Sep 14, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  7. ManuelMarino

Original Member

No... not you :rolleyes: Oh well, forget about it... :cool:

8. Leper

Original Member

Than whats the developer risking for using a free-track I've created?

9. Melin

Original Member

<insert reply here about the risks of having the composer working for free, and therefore have no obligations whatsoever to finish the music>

10. Leper

Original Member

I'm not here to ask the big dawgs who've got the money to use my tracks. I'm here to help those who dont have the money! Now since I'm doing music for free, what am I gaining? I'm building a portfolio Melin. A portfiolio that will someday be filled with games I helped develop. At the same time, I'm improving my music design skills. In a few years or less I'll have a portfolio that will entice people to purchase music that I create. Consider this similar to getting "credentials" at a college. I find building a sweet portfolio worth it more than some cash for stuff I can't back with games.

#70 Leper, Sep 15, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  11. Melin

Original Member

I'm not talking about the risks YOU'RE taking.
    The company take a big risk, since they won't have any security that you will finish the music in time, let alone finish it at all.

I think it's great you want to offer your services to the Indie developers.
    But your statement about building a portfolio doesn't hold ground.
    Take it from someone who's been in the business for ages. Bigger companies don't care if you've worked on 1000s of sharewares. What matters most is your demo. Always. So if you really want to be a game composer, I suggest you work hard on creating a kick-ass demo reel.
    If you plan just to work for indie companies in the future, you might as well charge money for your services right away. If you're good enough to write music that someone would want in his game, why shouldn't you get rewarded for it?

Don't say "I'm doing this for fun", cause you said yourself that eventually, you'll start charging for your services.
    If you ever need advice or feedback on your music (I've listened to most of your tracks, but I don't want to post comments about it here) feel free to pm me or drop me an email.

Wish you all the best,
    Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

12. Leper

Original Member

There are always risks when using a 3rd party. Even if you do have a financial contract with someone, they can still back out. The composer can take the money and run, the composer can get ill and have to pull out and cause problems anyway. Only this time money IS involved. Money makes things more complicated IMHO.

When it comes to an indie-developer, I think I'm providing a sweet deal. I would recommend they use my free tracks and find it rewarding that 3 developers in fact are. Any of the developers will testify that I am a work-horse. I get the job done, no questions asked! You can trust me!!!

Ok the demo reel is a great idea. I might do that some day in the future. Right now my passion is helping people make games. I dont think you understand that? Because the real reward is seeing my name on the credits. The real reward is seeing that I was part of it! Maybe that's something you don't understand because you're caught up in the business end of it?

I am doing this for fun. I might charge for services one day. Then again, I just might work on my own game. It's really all up in the air to be honest!!

13. Sysiphus

Original Member

I instead think is a very generous offer. I am listening to the tracks, and I am liking it. :)

14. Melin

Original Member

I replied in the nicest way possible, expressing my thoughts on the matter. I also tried to give you good advice, to help out a game composer starting new.
    Why you felt the need to insult me, saying I'm in it just for the money, and you're some saint who just do this to help people, I don't understand at all.
    It was very uncalled for.
    I consider this my job, and therefore I need to make profit. Sure I love to make music, but I also like to eat.
    You're just being rude, so this will be my very last post concerning this matter.
    Have a nice day,

Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

15. Leper

Original Member

That's the way I took it, sorry you feel that way. I in no means meant it as an insult. But that's how I was taking what you were implying.

Point blank, I dont want to do this for money, I dont feel like doing it for money so I'm not. There's nothing anyone can say or do to change my mind.

I apologize for being rude, I did not mean it that way.

16. Barlok

Original Member

Hi! We are updated our page -- http://swargo.com/music.html and release new demo for your ears! ;)

Also, we accept payment via any possible and convinient way (bank transfer, PayPal, cheques), except payment systems of CIS.

Good luck!

17. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

How many hours do you think goes into conceiving, composing, arranging, performing, mixing and mastering one track of music? Divide $300 by that number and see what it is per hour. Now take into account the fact that being a composer involves running a self-owned business, maintaining technology, paying for health care, and hopefully putting something into savings. Do you really think that $300 is a fair price for a 3 minute piece of original music by anyone who hopes to earn a living doing it? Brian May would consider $300 per track to be below the bottom of any fair price for composing services on a for-profit project, even for a first timer.

18. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

This is the strangest portfolio thread I've ever read through.

All-caps and bold. Impressive.

Anyway, I agree with Jesse Hopkins. $300 is not a lot of money per-track. If you're an indie and can't afford anything, you don't stand up and say, "Hey idiot, can't you see we're poor? Forget feeding your family- lower your prices to a stupidly low level." You say, "Sorry, we're poor." or you say nothing, and let the composer go and get paid properly for their time by someone else. Then, you go out and get creative about finding an affordable music solution for your game.

My two cents, carry on.

19. Barlok

Original Member

Hi, developers! :) The are new soundtracks added at swargo.com/music.html

Ps. Me and my composer are now in the army, but we are going home on 7 july. And my composer will be ready for to work! ;-)

20. Barlok

Original Member

• Added new soundtrack "Romantic Theme".