Game Music ( only 40$/track )

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by Barlok, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Ricardo C

Original Member

I know they are ;) I was just rather offended by the whole "maybe they sold you stealed music" bit. Like I said, I wish them luck, their prices are just too much for me :)

2. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

If you don't have $300 to spend on your game, you're doing this as a hobby, not as a business. Which is fine, but not particularily relevant to a discussion of professional game development services. In terms of living expenses, how long will $300 last you? Maybe a week? Do you really mean that you can't afford to invest a week of time on your game? That said, I also think that $300 per track is ridiculous.

Just to put this in perspective: My own game Feyna's Quest has a budget well over $300. I started working on the game over five years ago. I spent about $3000 on artwork. It has 24 music tracks. If I had paid $300 per music, that would have been $7200, more than twice the cost of the visual art. Instead, I decided to write my own music. Took one month. The results aren't particularily fancy, but they do the job, and I've been complimented on the music in the game several times.

3. Ricardo C

Original Member

Well, I've only spent about $300 on Boom Boom Jax, all told. And it's no slouch, visually. It's not how much you spend, but how and where. Connections can count for a lo.

4. papillon

Indie Author

I think the biggest reason some of us are looking at you funny is that you put the $80 there (which seems reasonable for good service) then quickly changed it and tried to justify the MASSIVELY increased change as reasonable and what you meant all along. Well, it isn't, or you would have said it in the first place. :)

That's not a small adjustment, like you said $80 and then decided $95 was a little better. It's a huge difference, a completely different market.

So it sounds like you're throwing numbers around at random to see what reaction you get - therefore, you get a reaction!

5. sparkyboy

Original Member

RANT!!!!!!

I've been watching this thread for a while now, and the responses before me are not without merit!!! ;)
    What you have to realize, as I see the state of affairs, is quite simply that.......WE CANNOT AFFORD $300 A TRACK!!!

Now, I for one, as everyone before me, has no mistrust nor doubt in your abilities as a musician,BUT..........I have also seen, albeit in the past, just how quickly a musician can put together a piece!!

All the talk about it takes this and that........maybe it does.......but did you know a little known musician called ELTON JOHN wrote the music for the Lion King......all 10 or 17 tracks in 10 or 17 minutes...........that's 1 minute a track!!
    Now I'm sure you'll agree you are not in HIS league, or maybe you are?????
    In that case, call on Andrew Lloyd Webber and not us struggling indies trying to keep a bleedin' roof over our heads, food in our bellies, and relationships together!!!! :mad:

Horses for courses Barlok!! Walk before you can RUN!!!

RANT OVER!!!!!

All the best

Mark.

6. mhuang

Original Member

I believe elton john only wrote three songs for the lion king soundtrack, the rest of the soundtrack are by Hans Zimmer. :p

7. sparkyboy

Original Member

Well maybe so (but not according to UK sources i.e. REG DWIGHT'S homeland ;) ......but this isn't about Elton v Zimmer nor for that matter YOU V ME....
    Read my post and the others.....in fact...read the entire thread!!!!!

My rant still stands!!!! :D

All the best

Mark.

P.S.

From the post above:-
    'the rest of the soundtrack are by Hans Zimmer.'

I do believe that should be 'is' .......correct? ;)

#47 sparkyboy, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  8. Sybixsus

Original Member

Ricardo C already covered this, but that's a very unprofessional attitude to be suggesting illegal actions on behalf of your competition. Particularly since a number of them are posting in this very forum. Good job I didn't name any of them or you'd probably be hearing from their lawyers about now.

I've paid more for music in the past. I've paid as much as $100 per track, but as Papillon says, more and more musicians are offering their services for very low prices, so I no longer *need* to pay more.

EDIT: Actually with regard to Sonicron's comment above, perhaps you actually *should* consider non-exclusive licenses for your music if you really need to make $300 per track, because I think it's the only way you'll get there.

9. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

I'll tell one little thing. Except guitars your music sounds like amateur midi track without a touch of mastering and mixing (clipped signal is really lame) with many composing bugs, false notes etc... I suggest to learn how to quantize notes in your sequencer software and prepare better demo songs for your site. Now your price is professional but quality not. Just friendly advice, no offence.

10. David John

Original Member

Barlok, if there is one thing you should take from this whole experience, it is do not openly advertise prices! Just state that you are willing to work within the budgets of small indie developers and leave it at that. Then you are able to work out prices on a case to case basis. If you ever do decide to raise your fees in the future, you don't have to do it publicaly, and take the heat for it.

Cheers,
    Dave

11. Barlok

Original Member

Ok, guys. What prices for music looks reasonable for you? Lets discuss it. :)

12. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

The absolute maximum that I would spend on the music for one game is $1000. The absolute minimum number of tracks I would want for $1000 is ten. So $100 per music track is the absolute limit for me.

13. Melin

Original Member

Odd, since you clearly stated in a previous post that if one didn't want to spend $300, your services was not meant for them.
    That, and the fact you're saying you've been working on professional games, makes this sudden willingnes too co-operate seem a bit weird.

Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

14. ManuelMarino

Original Member

If you need royalty free music, check our site and listen to our previews. We've got some cool clips in our online catalog.

15. bluejay

Original Member

advertising your music service in another person's music service thread = not cool... :(

16. Nikster

Original Member

agreed, that just plain sucks.. I guess the musico's desperate for work are helping to put nails in Barloks coffin.. very sad.. :mad:

17. ManuelMarino

Original Member

No, the services are different. I'm talking about royalty free music. Also, I've seen that the thread is very long... don't think it's anymore a "musician post", but a more complex thread.

And I'm not a newbie here... so... sorry if I offended anyone, but I can't see the offence.

Don't consider my post then, but really... I can understand Bluejay post, but it's totally unacceptable Nikster one... too much aggressive for something that does not deserve such aggression.

:) let's forget about it ;)

18. Nikster

Original Member

It's not aggression, I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy other musicians tagging their stuff onto the end of your advertisement, that and you also bumped your own thread anyway, anyway, I'm sorry you felt it was aggressive and feel thread stealing is OK.

19. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

I agree with you Nikster, but don't you think this is not the place for long offtopic discussion? I think it should be placed in neutral thread.

20. ManuelMarino

Original Member

No ok.. don't worry. I'm sorry.

I appreciated Nikster more moderate tone, so... ok, I can apologize, but really didn't think it to be a so bad post, mine.

As I told in the previous post, royalty free music is different. The musician who started the topic is offering exclusive services. Different things, totally different.

But I can apologize, no problem. I'll be more observant in the next posts, I can assure you. If everything is ok, we don't need to continue in another thread ok? I'll be more careful, really.

By the way... this thread seems to me MORE A DISCUSSION than a service offering thread... :rolleyes: