Game Music ( only 40$/track )

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by Barlok, Jun 3, 2005.

1. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Hello Roman, we are searching for musicians to collaborate with, I see that you work in a studio, so maybe you are not interested. In case, contact our A&R Department.

2. Barlok

Original Member

Hello!
    Our promotion will finish October 1st. After the 1st of October the cost will increase to $300 per music track.
    Clients who order from us before October 1st will pay only $40 per music track.

#22 Barlok, Sep 2, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  3. Robert Cummings

Original Member

See how thick you lot are encouraging him? :)

4. Ricardo C

Original Member

$300? Not unless your first name is Brian and your last name is May ;)

5. Barlok

Original Member

Hi! We offer discounts in some cases. If you are interesting, you can contact us about them.
    We have a music studio here and use live instruments. We don't think that a price of $300 per track is too high for such quality.

6. Robert Cummings

Original Member

lol it was $80 and then he edited it to $300 :) what a joke.... count me out

7. CPacaud

Original Member

Barlok, if I were you, I'd take the hint. Those are the people that are going to buy your products.

300$/min. is almost half the industry standard for pro composers, and I doubt indie developers have half the budget the big devs have... Gotta make a compromise somewhere.

8. Barlok

Original Member

I wrote - there will be discounts. :) Besides, ~300$/track, but not for 1min.

9. Sybixsus

Original Member

I can get very high quality music for between $10 and $50 per track, depending on length and style. Why would I want to try and negotiate down from $300 when I can just save myself the bother and get the music I know is good and cheap? Maybe some people will enjoy trying to haggle you down to a reasonable price but I think most will save their haggling skills for when they really need them. Like trying to get deals they can live with from portals and publishers.

10. Barlok

Original Member

Hi! These prices are too low and looks too strange for me. Maybe, they sell you stealed music? As co-owner of music studio, I can say that these prices are lower then self-cost of quality music.
    And by the way - I would like to say again that we still work on very discounted price - as low as $40 per music track, and this price is active until 1st of October.

11. papillon

Indie Author

And the prices we pay for artwork are a fraction of the cost of "quality" artwork (ie, museum) but that doesn't mean we're likely to pay anything resembling those prices OR WANT those results.

$40/track? I'd pay it if the music was a good match for my project. I generally pay less, but that's because I can't find what I really want and settle for okay-but-cheap instead. Over $50? Sure - if it comes with a VOCALIST. Otherwise, no.

$300 is more than a lot of people's entire budget for a game. And you want that per track? Setting your prices at that rate is going to make most folks around here delete you from their bookmark list.

It's a perfectly price if you've got performers involved - but it's still out of our reach. Thus my comment about museum artwork. Hiring a full orchestra and choir to record for you doesn't come cheap - but most of us don't want that anyway!

(Hrm - I wonder what kind of game would go well with a full gospel soundtrack?)

12. Ricardo C

Original Member

Way to generate goodwill, man.

Depends on the location of the musician, and his relationship to the customer.

Yeah, I think I'll pass.

13. soniCron

Indie Author

Seriously? :eek:

You've got to consider what goes into writing music. At these prices, a 2-4 minute music track would end up costing you $10-$20 per minute of music. If you can find a musician to write good, original, mastered music at a rate of 1 minute per hour (making it worth his while @ >minimum wage), I'd like his contact info. Is >$50 a track unreasonable? No, I think it stems from the industry's general lack of respect for the aural side of the art. You get what you pay for. Of course, you've already said that. ("And the prices we pay for artwork are a fraction of the cost of "quality" artwork (ie, museum) but that doesn't mean we're likely to pay anything resembling those prices OR WANT those results.")

That said, I wouldn't pay $300 for Barlok's work, studio or not. ;)

14. Barlok

Original Member

We make professional-quality music for professional-quality games. If your game budget is less then $300, then you are definitely not our client :)
    We have big experience in game development, and know the needs of our clients and their customers. And I think we set reasonable and pretty cheap prices for professional-quality music.

15. Ricardo C

Original Member

Keep digging...

So, tell me, what professional games have you scored?

16. Barlok

Original Member

We had a long term contracts with some game publishers, and according to that contract we cannot use their titles for our portfolio, so I am unable to name those games :(
    But we put our samples on the webpage: http://www.swargo.com/art.htm, and their number will be increased soon. Also, I want to say that $300 will be a variable price and it will depends from many parameters.
    By the way, did you notice that we currently offer our service for such a low price as $40 per track? This is because we currently work for our portfolio. So everyone can try us before October 1st. And our clients didn't pay us intil they are satisfied with the results. Thats actually what I'm trying to say - try us for as low as $40, and then decide if we worth $300 per track or not.

17. Ricardo C

Original Member

Barlok, the thing is, you started out with a very competitive price, and the second some people told you you could get away with charging more, you jacked up your rates by 750%. And when told such a price was unrealistic for most indies, you turned to personal attacks. One does not need to buy stolen music in order to get a low price. And a small budget does not equal a low-quality game. If you think your work is worth $300 per track, then good luck, and I hope you find willing customers. But our budgetary constraints are a market reality, and if you hope to get business from indies, you're going to have to adjust to them. I understand that you're willing to negotiate, but please understand why the staggering price raise put people off.

18. papillon

Indie Author

Dude, "most" people on this board are not very successful. Some of them are trying to set up shop on freewebs sites because they "can't afford" webhosting! :) (No offense to the most recent person in question - if you're brand new at this, it can be pretty scary to make the first investment.)

I don't think >$50 a track is unreasonable for custom-made music. However, I don't HAVE enough to go around for that (generally, maybe in the future) and I don't NEED custom-made music. When I was working on that pop idol game I mentioned once (and have since dropped) I was much more interested in getting high-quality music for it and was hitting up indie musicians and stuff - but I *still* didn't need or want exclusive custom-made music. Music that someone had heard before would be a GOOD thing!

19. soniCron

Indie Author

*CHING!* *CHING!* Touche! ;) Seriously, though, there's no ground to compare custom music production with pre-made, licensed music. Apples and oranges. :)

20. Andy

Original Member

Well Ricardo. You have beaten them. ;) Good job bud!
    Could you please make a personal favor for me now? - Leave them alone. They are good guys really. A little bit young - but this is not too serious fault. They will learn one day... how to cheat. :)

Barlok. Following by feedback from guys around you probably should agree that 50-80 per track sounds more reasonable for your studio on current stage. Don't be so greedy at the very beginning. :)
    Just my two cents of course!!!