Game Music ( only 40$/track )

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by Barlok, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Barlok

Original Member

#1 Barlok, Jun 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

Can you make mod tracks?

3. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

My main concern is that $40 per track is extremely cheap which leads me to think that the quality will suffer. Or do you require royalties from each product sold?

4. Barlok

Original Member

2ZuluBoy:
    Unfortunately, music in a format mod is not so qualitative yet.

2Indiepath.T:
    I hasten to assure - music will be qualitatively made. You pay only 40 dollars for one track, and more than any deductions it is not required.

5. anklebiter

Original Member

I would disagree. A lot of times people do things because they enjoy the work they do. If you have a question about quality, check out the work on his web site. I particularly enjoyed this piece of music:

http://swargo.com/crossfire/track3_www.swargo.com.mp3

6. gpetersz

Original Member

If somebody doesn't require payment for his work then s/he is a hobbyist.
    You are right, you cannot expect the same quality from a hobbyist. (sometimes hobbyist make better quality then pros but if you don't pay somebody than you don't have "power" over her/him. Leave you at will, do what s/he want and so).

On the other side $40 might seem cheap "only" for US or W.Europe. I think I've done works cheaper than any artists from the named territories, and I don't regard myself a hobbyist.

So the "pairs" in my opinion are:

Not cheap, professional.
    Cheap (or free), hobbyist, might be full of problems.
    Cheap, professional, AND from an other country. Sometimes it is the best to
    outsource your art or sound to people in Eastern Europe, or Asia.
    It would be definiately cheaper. Salinsky sounds Polish for me (and I welcome him).

(4.
    Cheap, professional, without problems. You are a lucky guy.)

I've heard some music of this guy, and he IS a pro. Good style and quality, clean music.

7. anklebiter

Original Member

I don't really see any sense in trying to stereotype a hobbyist vs a pro. Fact is, they both can suck. It is really up to the individual.

#7 anklebiter, Jun 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  8. David John

Original Member

I think Barlok is just trying to be in line with some of the smaller indie budgets and land some work to build up his portfolio. Which is the way to go for us game composers. Why would he go to the trouble of setting up his website, posting here if he planned on being unreliable and wasn't really dedicated? $40 for a track is a smokin deal, and last I checked, most indie developers don't have $4000 kicking around to drop on 5 or 6 minutes of music.

Cheers,
    Dave

9. gpetersz

Original Member

Both can but what you said is exception. Usually was right what I wrote, I think.

On the other side, I never replied to this topic if some strange opinions hadn't shown up... ;)

10. KNau

Original Member

Way to jump all over a guy for posting a work request :) Most music "clearing houses" charge about $50 per track (albeit with caps on how many units can be distributed) so this deal isn't so outlandish. I'd like to know what you guys normally pay because if it's more than $100 bucks a track, you're being robbed! Cut the guy some slack, sheesh!

11. soniCron

Indie Author

You've got to be joking! $100 for a custom track is a steal! You're absolutely right that royalty free music exists for cheap, but it's in the same vein as using stock sprites or models. Sometimes (usually for casual titles) it's ok to use stock music, but for many games it's best to use custom tracks, especially if you want to be unique. And for that, this guy is your man. Custom tunes for less than stock tracks. But it's possible you'll end up paying for it in quality.

12. Nikster

Original Member

Bandwagon time :)

To say music would suffer due to it's price tag would surely mean the same would apply to an actual shareware games, the more it costs the better the quality.. crazy talk, his demos are good and to be perfectly honest if I was working on a racing game or maybe even a beat'em up I would use his services for sure.. nice change to have "proper" sounding music rather than computer generated stuff..

Keep it up Barlok and I'm sure some people will use your services.

13. soniCron

Indie Author

Hehe, have you seen some of these games lately? :D

14. anklebiter

Original Member

I agree. We are indie game developers, what is wrong with indie music? rar

15. tentons

Indie Author

I couldn't find any links to music samples on swargo.com. :confused:

16. Barlok

Original Member

Probably, it is necessary to raise the price for one track up to 100-150 dollars:). The fact remains the fact but so still anybody and has not ordered music. Or examples such bad?

17. soniCron

Indie Author

Not bad, just not typically what's sought after in game music. You'll just have to wait a while. In the meantime, try submitting your work to other places as well. There are many great resources for musicians to find contract work, you'll just have to look for them! ;)

18. Melin

Original Member

There are?

A few examples maybe?

19. jankoM

Indie Author

I used Swarog's service this week and am very satisfied. I am not experienced at this - but: they made 3 tracks for me to choose one - they worked faster than I could review and decide - I really like the final music - $40.

best regards,
    Janko M.

20. Ricardo C

Original Member

Hear, hear :) Viva los indies :D