Game Maker tool is getting serious nowadays

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by stanchat, Mar 10, 2012.

1. stanchat

Indie Author

I use to use the GameMaker tool to prototype games back in the day. I accidentally hit a old bookmark and ended up at their site. They have made some serious improvements to this tool. It is completely cross-platform now. iOS, Android, Windows, Symbian, HTML 5. I haven't tried it yet but it looks very promising.

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/

2. gamer247

gamer247 New Member

wow, I haven't been there for ages. Looks very advanced from what I saw a couple of years ago. How is their tutorial base now?

3. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

4. stanchat

Indie Author

I took a lok at moneky and it looks pretty good. It may have it in the full version but I did not see a "Level Editor","Particle Editor" or "Sprite Editor". I do not have a lot of time to roll my own for these so if i'm going to invest in a tool that is what I would look for. As for Game Maker the last I played iwth it you did not have to use the click based features of it. You could code all scripting modules if you liked so it may have changed. If Monkey has some of those game tools baked in somewhere then it looks like it would be high on my list.

5. speeder

speeder New Member

I dumped Game Maker when I paid for it twice and YoYo still refused to support me. (and later went to things like deleting support tickets, insulting me on the support system, and whatnot)

6. gamer247

gamer247 New Member

Wow that was that bad?
    What do you use now instead ?

7. Greg Squire

Original Member

I know YoYo Games is trying to make GameMaker into a more serious platform. In fact, they were at GDC last week touting what the new GameMaker Studio (which is in beta) can do. They want it to be more than just a hobbyist engine. It's becoming that all-in-one tool that I want to use, however it's still not quite there yet. I tried the beta out and it does have some stability issues right now. I can get some things running, but not others. I'm hoping they get these resolved in short order. If they can make this stable enough, then it's something I'll be using (otherwise I'll be looking elsewhere too).

Monkey doesn't have a built-in level editor, sprite editor, or particle editor, however I'm told there are some off-the-shelf editors that can be used in conjunction with Monkey. Yet this means you still have to write some code to integrate this into your game.

8. Ratboy

Original Member

I'm playing with the beta in my rare moments of free time, and I'm finding that it suits my artist-engineer brain better than straight coding ever did. I wish there'd been a program like this when I was still a teenager and had lots of time on my hands...

9. speeder

speeder New Member

For desktop games I am using Novashell...

I heavily modified my version in some aspects, but stock Novashell is already great, but the thing still would feel "incomplete" near Game Maker, because well... It never reached 1.0 anyway.

For web games I am learning now Flixel, that does not have integrated editor (it does have third-party editors made for it though).

10. LiquidShock

LiquidShock New Member

The new game maker is pretty nice with a lot of new features. We actually used it to prototype a game for the local community college admissions dept. They liked it and are formulating an offer to purchase.

We used it mainly for the quick turnaround on the prototype and actually used all code for the game. The thing that was nice is the use of rooms with quick background/music setup. All the object events can be codded using GML which is quick to learn if you have any other programming knowledge.

We where actually going to use a different language but the school requested GM specifically the HTML5 for their website. I think they also plan on using it in Angel.

11. electronicStar

Original Member

Did they fix the horrible screen tearing problem when using horizontal scrolling? Game maker is a very good tool , but this particular problem was a show stopper for me

12. stanchat

Indie Author

The official version has been released for $99 USD. I think I will get a copy for this even if only for prototyping purposes. It also has a new source control widget.

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio

13. electronicStar

Original Member

Self answer: they didn't , it's right there in the demos, in the PC version at least.
    It's interesting for android IOS dev, but the $300 per platform price is a bit high

14. Greg Squire

Original Member

Just to clarify, GM Studio is $99 base price which includes Win and Mac. Then other platforms are $99 for HTML and $199 each (not $300) for Android and iOS. (see http://yoyogames.com/game_showcases/294/purchase/express) Still might be steep for some, but it's a one time purchase instead of a subscription like some engines like Corona ($200 or $350 a year).

15. stanchat

Indie Author

Good catch guys. I did not see the added price for individual add-on modules. Still a bit steep at $99 plus $199 per add-on. I did find another alternative from Dark Basic called App Game Kit that is priced more in my range. It costs only $59.00 USD and it covers iOS, Android, Bada, Meego and has Windows Phone in its roadmap.

You can check it out here:
    http://www.appgamekit.com/