Game Maker Speed Problem?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by bob123, Oct 14, 2005.

1. bob123

Original Member

Does game maker(http://www.gamemaker.nl/) have any problems with speed?
    It looks capable of making commercial games,but the loading requires a little more time,and it requires a loading picture.
    Would it be able to make a decent enough speed game :confused:

2. Mickey Crocker

Mickey Crocker New Member

Actually...

I've tested game maker on 7 different computers for performance and speed. On both laptops and PCs (old and new).

The results were horrible. "Each" computers ran the games completely different. Some made it impossible to play, others would play but had annoying glitches. It just isn't a very good program to use for commercial programs.

I was very stubborn about this because I really wanted to use game maker and it took me a long time and a lot of tests to finally give up and switch to BlitzMax (A very wise, although slow, decision).

3. papillon

Indie Author

It's perfectly usable if you are making a game in which consistent speed is not all that important. A card game, for instance. (Well, almost perfectly usable. There are still the occasional compatibility problems...)

If you want smooth action, then no, that's not a good choice. There are lots of small problems that will drive you absolutely MAD trying to sort them out, and many of them will turn out to be due to something you can't fix. :)

Still, it's a great toy for playing with if you don't have much experience in making a full game.

Why am I still playing with it? Er... because my university programming background never bothered to tell me ANYTHING about windows programming or graphics.... I'm working on it. :) (Stupid useless computer science classes! :) )

4. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

fyi... I've heard mostly nothing but good about using BlitzBasic for games.

5. bob123

Original Member

Blitz basic costs more money tho......and I didnt really get to try it much during my trial period since I was busy. :(

6. Greg Squire

Original Member

Blitz and Game Maker are two different beasts. Game Maker is a tool to create games "without programming". Blitz is language/engine used to make 2D or 3D (in the case of Blitz3d) games. I'm using Blitz3D and have been very happy with it. It has some quirks, but nothing big, and it's very stable.

There have been some moderately successful games made with "no programming" tools. I believe that Cactus Bruce & The Corporate Monkeys was made with Games Factory and it has done well. I don't know much about Game Maker, and if there have been any successful games made with it. Tools like these can produce some simple games, but there are certain kinds of games that can only be done with "programming". I think papillion's advice is very pertinent here.

Before using a tool or engine, I look around to find things that are made with it, and see how it's been used. There will be limitations of anything that you use, so it's best to know what they are before you make a monetary and time commitment to it.

7. sparkyboy

Original Member

It's true that programs like these are limited, but version 6 by all accounts is very much improved.
    Gamemaker does indeed allow the novice to create games without programming, but also includes a scripting language very much like 'C' for the more experienced.

I mean all the talk about TORQUE 3D being used through scripting doesn't negate its value amongst the more experienced guys does it?? ;)

All the best

Mark.

8. papillon

Indie Author

You can create a simple game in GM without programming, but anyone doing anything interesting in it is going to be using a LOT of code. I end up using very few of the "drag and drop" functions in GM projects - if you actually know HOW to code, it's a lot faster to just write it out anyway. It's a very flexible tool - while I haven't actually used MMF myself, from what I've heard that's much more of a 'no programming' environment than GM is.

The real problem with GM is the compatibility and reliability, not the flexibility. You can do an awful lot with it if you try. That's the problem, really - anything I think of, it's so easy to figure out how to do it with the tool I know, and so daunting to start from scratch... :) (Okay, anything 2D. GM is very much not a 3D tool. There is some 3D functionality in it, but not that much.)

Once I finish the slow launch of my current release I'm planning to spend some time messing around with things like Blitz and see if I can get the hang of them. I really just need to get past the basic hurdles of "how do I draw onto the screen? how do I detect collisions?" and that sort of thing that they never tell you in unix-command-line-based programming classes. I'm good at working with editors and higher-level scripting. Just don't have a clue about the basics.

9. stanchat

Indie Author

All my games done in GameMaker 6.0

I use Gamemaker for all my games. The newer version 6.0 and 6.1 do not have the speed issues that use to plague version 5.0 and earlier. 6.1 actually lets you manipulate DirectX surfaces. The new version 6.1 has a really good particle engine built-in. The main reason I use it is that I like its C style scripting language. If you want to do really simple things then you can use the Drag-N-Drop to do that. However for more complex things you will have to use the GML (GameMaker Language) to do that. GameMaker really forces you to use object-oriented program techniques which is a good thing. The program itself was written in Delphi.
    The user-community is really huge but primarily made up of grade-school and high-schools kids. It you want a fresh a different outlook on game-programming spend a couple minutes at the Game Maker Forum. They do not beleive in selling their games they think everything should be free, which I in turn reply to them I would like to see you in 15-20yrs when you have a wife and kid to feed and see if you have the same attitude.

Here are the games I created with GameMaker 6.0

Space Skramble

Rally Racers

MiniGolf

#9 stanchat, Oct 15, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2005