Game graphics released for public domain! (mostly tiles)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by anders2, May 3, 2011.

1. anders2

anders2 New Member

As I now have released my first game I am releasing most of the graphics
    used in the game as public domain, and some of the graphics was
    never used in the game I released. In total it's more then 700 files,
    most of them are tiles/animated tiles (64*64). Their quality differ,
    after all I'm not a graphics artist, but I hope that they can be
    useful to folks out there anyway.

These files are released to public domain. You're free to use these for
    any purpose, free or commercial. Please drop me a mail if you plan to
    use them, it would be fun to see what they are used for!
    (use the email button on the site)

You can preview some of them pasted in a picture by clicking here:
    http://www.hypermotion.se/download/TileExamples.png

The zip file with the graphics is available here, check the download section:
    http://www.hypermotion.se

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Looking at the standard of the sample image, I'd wager that these images are not all created by the same person, as some are OK and some are plain awful.

Do you own copyright on these images to be able to do this?

3. DayDream

Indie Author

Anders2 - I know it's your first game and you are rightfully proud of it. But let's be brutally honest here as far as the art goes it's miles below par. Putting it out as public domain [when like Desktop mentioned it looks a lot like things found on the net by googling] feels like an insult to me. Grow up, get real and check what's out there as free art resources.

4. anders2

anders2 New Member

Wow, I wasn't prepared for this kind of bashing, especially from people who made these number of posts.

They are all made by me. But as I stated in my post I'm not a graphics artist,
    and the quality differ. They are made in different ways, some are GIMP:ed from
    scratch while others are created as 3d objects, masks from photographs or movies.
    My photographs and my movies, my 3d art work, my GIMP:ing. These files are the result of more then 4 years of work of my spare time coding, sampling, graphics, etc...Compare your own work you made 4 years ago, see any difference?

You bet!

You bet I am! It didn't turn out as polished as I wanted, but after these years I felt that I was losing dev speed and needed to push it out for release, otherwise it would just be an unfinished project on my hard drive.

Of course it is. Remember the first time you drove a car? Was it "on par"? As I now have told a third time I'm not a graphics artist. I wanted to send something back to the newbie devs as myself. If you find any of them useful, well, use them. If you
    don't just delete them or don't download them.

Googling != Free.

*You* feel insulted? Wow. I'm sorry I posted them for public use, just don't download them then.

If grow up means stop publishing my work as public domain for others to use or otherwise trying to help I will never grow up. Never.

5. Desktop Gaming

Nobody is 'bashing' you. I'm just be honest. I'm sorry you didn't like it.

6. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I agree the art isn't amazing, but hey, take it easy... I think anders2 is doing a cool thing here and maybe one or more of the images will be useful for someone making their first game. anders2 - congrats on finishing your first game and kudos to you for offering your art work as public domain!

7. lennard

I'm with Bruno. It's not like he is asking for $9.99 or saying they are amazing. I recognize that it's a fine line - indiegamer is a website about the business of making commercial games as an indie... but hey, if I need a placeholder pineapple icon in the future I can come and get it. If I don't... no harm, no foul.

8. anders2

anders2 New Member

Of course you should be honest, I always try to as well. At least some were ok according to you so thanks for that :D When I comment on other peoples stuff I usually comment on things I like, because I want to encourage people to continue and improve, it's almost like teaching the kids something new, you applaud the 2 goals they did and forget about the 51 chances they missed (well, you get the picture....)

Thanks!

Sure, but I guess there are some struggling with their first one as well.

You bet!

9. CJX

CJX New Member

Not to disagree with you entirely - obviously encouragement is good - but one of the main reasons I've signed up to this forum (instead of the many other game-maker forums) is because of the sheer brutal honesty of the criticism I came across while lurking. I look forward to your opinions on my own WIP game, although it won't be ready to show off for a couple of months.

That said, I agree with BantamCityGames; although I have no use for your art, the worst that you could have done here is helped someone out. :)

10. anders2

anders2 New Member

I'll keep my eyes open!

I haven't really been around much before signing up so I haven't really noticed it.
    Maybe I'd seen it coming if I had followed your "lurking-first" procedure...

That's ok too :D

11. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

Wow I am kind of surprised by some of the replies here, whether the art looks like complete crap or is brilliant shouldn't matter, to each his own. But this guy is releasing a great deal of his HARD WORK, he shouldnt be hated on for it. Criticizing the art is cool but the other stuff is unnecessary.

But either way, thanks for releasing the art and good job on pushing something out at all, its always tough to finish projects to the end. Btw your art sucks! haha jk.

12. dopeman

dopeman New Member

I think there's a difference between honestly and rudeness. Anders2 wasn't asking for criticism in this case.
    After drawing pixel art for a while and I have to say that free tilesets are often useful as a reference.
    Looking at your walking animation, I could very easily build upon that and make my own animated spirte so thanks.