Game Graphics Drawing?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by bob123, Sep 22, 2005.

1. bob123

Original Member

I really need some graphics for my games but I cant really seem to find a nice tutorial for drawing these kind of graphics.I have tried 3d graphics but I cant seem to get much done in that.I dont really like the style of most pixel art either.

Does anybody have a good suggestion of a good program or tutorial for 2d or 3d graphics?

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

It sounds like you need a clearer picture of what you like, and maybe to spend some time figuring out why you like it. Just like you can break up ideas and concepts into code, you can do the same with art. Or there's Plan B, hire an artist.

3. bob123

Original Member

I dont really have money now to hire an artist,and as for style the Im trying 3d-rendered sprites,but its not going the best. :(

4. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If you search the board there are a few threads with lists of 2d graphic tutorials. Mostly this stuff comes down to practice both in implementation and design and getting famililar with 1 tool. I use paint shop pro for a lot of my work. It's not expensive compared to photoshop and does the job nicely, but it's complex enough that it can take some time to become proficient with it. I think that's probably true of most graphics apps though nowdays. There's just so many features and nifty ways to use them.

One route that can help a lot is becoming familiar with good plugins. Plugins by Aliens Skins software and Flaming Pear are in my regular toolset. Flaming pear's glitterato and lunar cell are great tools for space games. You can create nifty planets and starfields at literally a touch of a button. There are plugins to do vegetation, light effects, bevelling and buttons etc.. They can save a lot of time and produce pretty pro results with minimal effort. Paint shop can use any photoshop plugin so you're good there too.

5. mahlzeit

Original Member

You don't necessarily need to *hire* an artist. I'm sure there are people who are willing to work together with you on a game for free.

6. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

All good stuff... but... I personally am a great believer in that old saying 'You don't get something for nothing in this world' :)

7. Savant

Original Member

Or, more generally, "you get what you pay for". A free artist is generally worth every penny you paid for him.