Game Engines

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Sean Doherty, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Sean Doherty

Original Member

From Dexterity.com:

I have been playing around with Irrlicht and OGRE. Irrlicht seems to be much easier to use and it has collision detection. OGRE has a lot more features and you can incorporate one of the open source physics engines into it for collision detection.

However, I keep wondering about the future of Torque and 3D Game Studio A6 looks pretty full featured. Altough, based on the A6 documentation, I am not convinced that it is easy to program if you don't do the scripting route.

I like to hear some more success stories on the varies engines?

2. Coyote

Indie Author

Oh, hey, that was my post! ;)

I've got nothing to add to it though. I'm am SO knee-deep in my custom engine (which I would prefer NOT to write for my next 3D game, thankyouverymuch!) I haven't had a chance to look more deeply at any of the other contenders.

I'm about 90% certain I'll be using Torque for my next "new" 3D game project - it seems to have most of the features I need, so I won't have to write THAT much new engine code.

3. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Ya it was a a lot of information that probably should be lost. So do you remember why you ruled out A6? Also, I am looking closer at Torque everyday; I really like the shader engine that there are building. That said, looks like A6 has the same features?

4. Coyote

Indie Author

Mainly it was price. I couldn't see a compelling reason why I'd want to spend more for GameEngine than Torque - especially with the way even the Commercial license is crippled. And - from what I can tell - A6 only gives you access through plug-ins. Torque is the source code - the whole kit 'n kaboodle. So you don't necessarily HAVE to live with any of the engine's limitations.

5. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Do you still have that view; Torque is $100.00 + $195.00 Shader Engine (after Early Adopter Special) which is totals $250.00 - $300.00.

A6 is $200.00 for professional; not sure what is really missing from that version other than:

- Level editor not distributable.
    - Render to textures
    - 4 Player Multi-Player

It does look like it would be difficult to actually program A6 using C++; I would imagine most people go the scripting method with the engine.

6. Aldacron

Original Member

I was just looking at the Raylogic engine, which has this to say on the licensing page:

Looks interesting, except that it appears to be targeting Windows platforms only:

If they had built-in multiplatform support (not just for the graphics), or at the minimum included the source code (which they don't) so that one could add support for other platforms, then they would be an excellent alternative to Torque for indies. Their collision system sounds awesome, but it doesn't do it for me.

Just thought I'd mention it for those who might be interested.

7. Coyote

Indie Author

That would be my next worry. My next big project is not currently intended to be multiplayer, so the 4-player limitation (which I consider a pretty extreme limitation these days) wouldn't be such an issue. But if I am prohibited from getting at the guts of the code, it had better be an engine that is 100% PERFECT for my needs.

Maybe A6 is, and I'm being stupid. But I'm not planning on using the TSE for my next project either...

8. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Why are you not planning to use Torque for your next project; what are you going to use? I have been playing around with Torque and I can tell that there is a big learning curve. That said, I ordered the 3D Game Programming Torque Engine book last night.

At this point, I am thinking about porting to Irrlicht because I think there could be less of a learning curve.

9. Sillysoft

Indie Author

10. Coyote

Indie Author

Sean - I am using Torque, just not the Torque Shader Engine. Though that may change, depending upon how long this project takes. I'm targeting a 'semi-casual audience' with this... folks who may not have a fully DX9 compatible card by the time my game is released.

On the other hand, I understand the graphics pipeline has been re-written to be MUCH easier to work with in TSE than TGE (and in fact I may not have to do any customization on the graphics side), so sucking it up and aiming for the higher platform requirements might still be worth my while.

As you can tell, the jury is still out - the biggest thing I needed was SOLID indoor & outdoor support & OS-X support for easier portability. Irrlicht has no OS-X support, and Ogre is going to require a bit of do-it-yourself work which I'd just as soon avoid. I *WILL* take a look at A6 before I go into full-fledged development mode... but since I already have Torque it has a little bit of an edge.

11. Greg Squire

Original Member

Just a side note for those using Torque and looking for the book "3D Game Programming All In One". I ordered mine on Overstock.com for $28.99 ($1.40 shipping). That's the cheapest I've found. Hope that helps some of you.

12. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Is there any plans for A6 to have OS-X support?

13. Sean Doherty

Original Member

I looked through the forum; it is hardly ven mentioned. I would say if there were going to support OS-X it would be in A6. Which mean it is probably at least a year away at best.

Here are some pros and cons for A6 and Torque from the A6 forums:

3DGS Strengths
    -Easy to use
    -Great Support

Weaknesses
    -Behind on features at the moment
    -PC only
    -Conitec doesn't publish games
    -Not open source

Torque Strengths
    -Open Source
    -Cheaper than Pro with more features
    -Ports to linux, mac, pc, and XBox
    -Garage Games also publishs games
    -Medium Support

Weaknesses
    -Steep Learning curve

14. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Drat...

The only 3D/game engines I know of that support both PC and Mac is Torque and Director.

Does anyone know if any other game engines that support both Mac and PC? I know there are several 2D options (such as PTK), but I'm looking for a cross-platform 3D engine.

15. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Crystal Space
    OGRE - Rendering Engine
    Open Scene Graph
    Torque

And a few others here:

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/list.php?fid=5&sid=2

I keep seeing Crystal Space mentioned but I have never tried it; is it ay good?