Game Engine Communities

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Sean Doherty, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Sean Doherty

Original Member

I pulled some statistics from OGRE and Irrlicht:

OGRE

- Forum Started on October 6th, 2002
    - 1974 User in their Database
    - 412 Users with more than 10 posts
    - 231 User with more than 20 posts
    - 170 User with more than 30 posts
    - 135 User with more than 40 posts
    - 114 User with more than 50 posts
    - 77 Users with more than 75 posts
    - 58 Users with more than 100 posts
    - Founder has 5790 posts
    - Approximate average posts per day since creation is 37

Irrlicht

- Forum Started on August 22, 2003
    - 910 User in their Database
    - 216 Users with more than 10 posts
    - 140 User with more than 20 posts
    - 103 User with more than 30 posts
    - 77 User with more than 40 posts
    - 67 User with more than 50 posts
    - 45 Users with more than 75 posts
    - 39 Users with more than 100 posts
    - Founder has 1023 posts
    - Approximate average posts per day since creation is 2.59

I would be interested to hear people's opinions; do either of these communities have enough critical mass? Also, even though Irrlicht is easier to use than OGRE it looks like you would have an easier time getting question answered on the OGRE forum.

Although, if you use OGRE your going to need another API for triangular collision detection.

PS: I know these numbers have statistic problems; but they give you the general idea.

#1 Sean Doherty, Aug 8, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  2. Coyote

Indie Author

I'd say both have hit critical mass for a reason you have not mentioned: Community INVOLVEMENT with the project. Look at all the third-party work that is being done on both engines - likewise, look at the willingness for the 'old hands' (such as they are) to assist newcomers with questions. That says a lot, IMO. A lot of that depends upon how the management of the engine fosters & publicises the involvement.

#2 Coyote, Aug 8, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2004