Game dev, the game...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Reactor, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Over at Toucharcade someone mentioned Game Dev Story for the iPhone. Has anyone here seen it and decided to play a game about making games? :)

2. princec

Indie Author

I thought about precisely that game a couple of years ago when Cliff was making Rock thingy and Kudos. But I decided it was a little too close to the bone for me to enjoy writing it :)

Cas :)

3. HairyTroll

Original Member

I purchased it a few days ago when it was available for $0.99c. The game is amazingly fun and addictive!

Creating a game as good as Game Dev Story within Game Dev Story would I think require at least Fun: 275, Creativity: 190, Graphics: 85, Sound: 15. Employees would all need to be at least "Level 5" coders, and you would need a "Level 5" Director and Producer as well.

Last night I managed to level up an employee to 'Hardware Designer' and released my own console. Seeing an employee explode into flame when they are in 'the zone' is just so great to watch. Everyone exhausted and a deadline fast approaching?... Just pass around the 'Dead Bull'.

Apparently it has been on the Japanese market since 1996.

#3 HairyTroll, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  4. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I also just grabbed it, and I agree about its addictiveness :)

Yep, although I've heard rumblings of a sequel in the works (possibly a while off though).

5. cyodine

Original Member

From my posting on the thread "my myplaybus.com - stealing your games" on this forum back in July:

"Hmm. sounds like a possible feature to add into a Sim-"Indie Developer" game. Wack a hole to take down sites pirating your game. Turn the indies annoyance into a source of entertainment for players.

Other features can include getting Apple to shut down competitors games on the app store. And let's not forget insulting bigwigs for publicity. I think this has potential"

Guess it's no surprise lots of people had that idea.

6. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Time flies a little too easily with this game.

I suck at making games.

I refuse to release a game with bugs? Anyone?

I was debugging my funnest and most creative game yet, the final chapter in my Ninja RPG trilogy, and a power-outage during the debugging phase chopped my fun and creativity numbers in half. :(

The game immediately after released with lack-luster reviews.

7. HairyTroll

Original Member

How about two power failures while developing the same game... that made me as mad as hell. I wanted to fire the IT guy, if only had one.

8. NicolasGB

NicolasGB New Member

I had mad fun with GameDevStory, it actually has surprising depth. And yeah, it's crazy addictive ! Highly recommended. I can't wait till they release a sequel that features the publishing aspects a little more.
    Who else in this forum named his company and game after his real company and name ?