Game design for beginners

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Scurvy Lobster, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster New Member

Even though this is not directly tied to any indie game I hope you don't mind that I announce my web project here: YourGameDesign.com

Focus of the site is to be a place for beginners who want to make their first game but don't know where to start. I teach game development in my classes regularly so this is my attempt at going online.

We probably all know someone, friend or family, who wants to make games but haven't started yet. YourGameDesign.com is meant as a gateway to this brave new world.

The first posts are all focusing on Game Maker. Later more easy to learn game engines will join.

This is only the second forum I share the link on so please share any thoughts - I haven't had any real user tests yet :)

2. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Hey, this is very good idea.

Do you plan to have more technical approach or something else in your course?

3. Acord

Acord New Member

I have a bit of an issue with it - you should encourage them to actually buy game maker at some point and possibly provide a good explanation as to why. $25 for one of the most useful apps in existence isn't too much.

4. Scurvy Lobster

Game Producer: I am not a coder myself (can do simple scripting) so the site is targetted entry level game developers. My material is usually used on pupils around 18 years of age but I have succesfully used the same on 12-14 year olds a couple of times at summer school camps. If I can open the door for them and they move on to more technical sites then I consider it a succes :)

Acord: good idea! There is a post topic for me to cover right there.

5. sauyadav

sauyadav New Member

Game Maker is pretty good but there are free alternatives available too & like Construct and Scrolling Game Development Kit, Its better to suggest these for a beginner

6. Scurvy Lobster

Thanks for the links - I haven't heard of these programs before so I'll check them out.

Game Maker (free edition) can make fine stand-alone games. All the tutorials I am currently planning will only use the features of the free edition.

7. Acord

Acord New Member

Yeah, but it's a great product and lord do they need the dough.

8. Bad Sector

Original Member

Why pay for something you'll never use?

Rhetorical question, because i've paid for Game Maker but never used it... :p

9. JGOware

Indie Author

Have you played with GameMaker recently? That has really matured into a useable product. If they make it win AND mac compatible, it could shake up the indie tool market.

10. Acord

Acord New Member

The mac version got delayed indefinitely from what I hear...

11. hanson

hanson New Member

That is true and I was somewhat disappointed to hear that.
    However, they are looking for a new developer for the mac version now - If anyone's good with mac programming looking for a little income, this sounds like it might be a fun project to work on.

(http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=632)

-hanson

12. Scurvy Lobster

At least until they get a new Mac programmer up and running.

GM8 should be right around the corner however. Its release will probably force me to redo all my tutorials on GM so far. I know they have changed the sprite editor quite a bit.

13. Scurvy Lobster

GM8 was actually released today: http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker :)

On my site I have made quite a few updates since my last post. Some video tutorials have been added along with a printable pdf version of my Pong in Game Maker 7 guide: http://www.yourgamedesign.com/pong-in-game-maker7-ebook

With the release of GM8 I need to update/republish my Game Maker tutorials. They can be used with both versions but in the long run it will be nice to have up-to-date guides for both.

14. papillon

Indie Author

From what I heard, their mac runner was pretty much complete, it was the mac editing tools that needed finishing.

There's at least one other project for porting the runner to mac+linux which is a bit less complete and hasn't touched the editor at all.

Basically, if you make a GM game in windows there are possibilities for getting it ported, but TOOLS to be used on other platforms are lagging far behind.

15. spoiltvictorian

spoiltvictorian New Member

I'm looking at GameMaker and MultiMedia Fusion Developer, and I'm wondering if I can actually make and publish a game with these. Are they just meant for casual games?

16. Scurvy Lobster

spoiltvictorian: You would have to define what you aim to make. The engines you mention are good for 2D games. If you want to make a 2D game then they would be fine choices.

17. Scurvy Lobster