Game Connection

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by zoombapup, Nov 10, 2010.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Hey all.

I was looking over at gameindustry.biz and there's a news peice about some indies becoming finalists at Game Connection (publisher/developer meeting thing in france).

And I spied:

Great Little War Game - Avril Digital - United Kingdom

As a finalist. Is that you Paul?

Anyway, my point isn't that. Its about Game Connection itself and what value it has to me as an indie.

Anyone got any experience with Game Connection, what is the point for an indie do you think? Does it make sense for a small company with no track record of released products?

I'm pretty crap at pitching it seems, so I'm not really thinking of doing it. But I was curious how useful it actually was at the micro-studio level we're at right now.

2. Scharlo

Original Member

I think GC (in Lyon, not the one at GDC or E3) make sense for any developer. This will be my 5th year at Game Connection and every time I got back with more than one deal.

3. zoombapup

Do you primarily do work-for-hire development then?

I'm just wondering where the benefit would be for an indie developer with 2 guys who want to develop original IP? I'd like to think that there might be a partner worth talking to there, but I'm not entirely sure what the vibe is there in terms of original IP and indie devs in general.

4. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

That is me indeed. Avril Digital is basically a colleague of mine who's presenting it on our behalf.

Never been myself, nor going this time. But now I know it's there I'll be a regular attender I think. It at least seems to be the absolute best place to go to take proper projects and come back with proper money.

If we don't make it this time, we'll try again next time. It's basically fish in a barrel which doesn't happen often.

5. Applewood

Didn't actually answer the question:

It has no value for indies, as getting VC or publisher money stops you being an indie. But if what you really want to do is dodge the indie badge and put bread on the table as an entrepreneur then I guess it's a golden opportunity.

Of course there are no guarantees - one or more of the people there has to actually want to sign your game, but I doubt you'll find more of those people to pitch to in a confined space anywhere else.

6. Jim Buck

Indie Author

My anecdote:

I did it at San Fran GDC in 2009. I had 30 meetings in 3 days, pitching my company as a programming contracting company. I had stuff to show, lots of cool contract work done in the past 5 years. From it, I got no contract work other than one I would have gotten anyway (it was with a guy I already knew, and it was just convenient to meet in my meeting space vs. someplace else at GDC).

The GC sales girl I know followed up with me and felt that early 2009 was not a great time due to money being very conservative back then (oddly, I had tons of contract work last year that I netted through other means, so I'm not so sure about conservative money). I still keep in regular contact with her and keep GC on my radar, but as a lone developer, it's hard to justify the chunk of money given my previous experience.

By the way, I also submitted to the GDC indie thing in Lyon, but it looks like Paul won my slot. ;) (Good to know it went to that project, though, it definitely deserves it.)

7. Applewood

Heh, sorry Jim. And thanks. :)

I've said already that these things are no guarantees. However, what (I think) is new at this one is basically the invest-a-thon part of it.

But I don't really know. First time for me and still have (possibly naieve) expectations.

EDIT: It's not really for contractors though, or at least that's not how it's been billed to me. I think it's mainly for finding VC or outright publishing deals for projects that are pretty much complete, or at least seriously in development already. The people there are investors, not developers.

#7 Applewood, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. zoombapup

So you think it might be ok for late stage investment (i.e. when I've run out of my own funds and have a good chunk of the product down) rather than getting the whole thing funded as a concept?

Actually, maybe that'll work out a lot better. I'll have plenty of concept art and some cool demo's to show by that time.

Might even do it if I havent blown my savings by then.

9. Applewood

Bloody hope so, that's exactly the state we're going in! :)

Look me up if you decide? I can see myself going next year (unless it still turns out to be pants) and it'd be good to share strategy and hold hands on the plane.

#9 Applewood, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  10. Scharlo

Original Member

About 50% of our production is WFH, rest is original IP. At GC you can get deals for both.
    I am not sure what you are looking for. If you are looking for funding and you don't have a track record, don't go if you don't have playable demo.