FuturePlay

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by DrWilloughby, Jul 6, 2006.

1. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

Has anyone here been to FuturePlay before? I've been invited to speak, and it sounds cool, but the plane flight and the admission price are daunting. How big is it as compared to other conferences, how much press coverage is there, what kinds of business contacts are possible there, and was it fun?

2. Laser Lou

Original Member

I didn't attend the actual conference last year, and I haven't been to any game conferences yet, but since the last one was held in Lansing, MI, and I live in Detroit, I went to the Garage Games reception (and met Jay Moore and Davey; several other GG people were the too.) Based on who was there (i.e. Greg Costikyan, Michael Mateas), it clearly seemed like a pretty important conference. There seemed to be a lot of academic people fron Europe there, and I got to chat about interactive storytelling with them. I plan on going to the next one, in London, ON. Of course, if GG is there and holding a reception, there must be relevant business contacts there :D .

3. Laser Lou

Original Member

Also, there's an entry in Wikipedia about the conference, showing who spoke there.

4. Mike D Smith

Original Member

If they're not willing to pay for your admission or even help with air fair, I'd question the value in going.

5. TimS

Original Member

Ken Perlin has opening keynote... yay! Can't say much for the rest of the schedule, and I doubt I'll fly to Canada to attend it...

Also -- and don't take this the wrong way... I don't mean it as a slight at all, but what would you be talking about there DrWilloughby? Seems a bit... odd, is all.

6. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

I have no idea if that's the sort of thing I'm allowed to say or not, so I'd better not. But it's a panel with another really big name on it.

7. TimS

Original Member

Fair enough. I'd probably go if I were made of money... but then I'd go to every industry-related conference if I had the option. Judging by last year's lineup, it seems like a pretty low-power event -- but it's probably growing. What kind of business contacts are you looking for?