funniest spam

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by cliffski, Sep 11, 2004.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

i just got some hilarious crap spam. Its someone going on about my corporate image, trying to sell me a logo yada yada yada.
    whats the subject?

Corporate indetity design

Would you buy an image makeover from someone who can't spell identity?
    I wonder how many billion people got that spelling mistake.
    what sad sad people.

2. Cuculain

Original Member

Lol, that's really funny.

3. kerchen

Indie Author

My recent favorite spam was the one advertising a spam blocker. I'm almost tempted to write to them asking if their product works on their product's advertising.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I know what you mean. I get the same email at least twice a week.

5. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Checking my spam box:
    Pretty similar to kerchen's spam.

Yesterday... interesting :)

6. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

My favourite was a spam from a service that promised it could advertise my product to millions of people - guaranteed to be can-spam compliant...!

7. Ratboy

Original Member

I'm actually blessed with good spam control - I barely see any of it, unless I dive into my yahoo account.

Semi-on topic: http://spamusement.com/

8. Diragor

Original Member

I don't bother to look at the text of spam anymore, but when I glanced at my Junk folder this morning I saw an amusing sender: Jack Hugeman. I'm sure you can guess the topic of that one. :)

9. Nemesis

Original Member

I get between 30-40 mails daily claiming to help enlarge my penis, breasts and lips (they assume I'm a hermaphordite?), recoup my debts, spy on my cheating wive (to be?), tips on the most promising stocks, dirt-cheap software... you name it.. I get it! :)

Must have been all those fora I in which I used to subscribe!

10. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

I wonder who these people are who post what Nemesis just said... and I certainly wonder much more who on earth actually buys something? There's gotta be reason for spammers to spam - and that reason can't universally be "just to bug others", they are going to sell their "services" and they try to spam it through us.

Are there any research made about how SPAM affects people? (besides that now all of us are scared to give our email addresses *anywhere* in public...) How many people actually buy something because of spam?

Notice: spamming is not free, the lists are rented so spammers need to pay money to get their spam mail to us. But do they really get any return for that money?

11. Quest Engine

Indie Author

Who would by anything from these companies who can't spell? It was just a few years ago when no one would use their credit card on the internet, and now we're expected to give that same credit card # to "companies" selling v!-a-G-ra, and p-r'o_z:a'k.

How can you read that email and think that its from a reputable company? I guess some folks want their drugs so bad they'll buy it however they have to. That's sad. And another reason to hate the spammers: They're preying on the weak, stupid, ignorant and (likely) addicted. This is no different than the guy pushing crack on the street corner.

I don't have much spam though because I just don't monitor the addresses info@ webmaster@ admin@ and tech@ questengine.com. That's were most of its addressed to. I monitor just a few addresses, and everything else goes straight to the trash. I never see it.

Ugh.

12. Diodor Bitan

Indie Author

Noone does. That's why they are reduced to using such desperate strategies.

13. GBGames

Indie Author

Actually, people do. If only 1 person buys something out of 10,000, they still make it worthwhile. The misspellings are to avoid spam blockers. If you are using something like Outlook where you can read the body of text by just clicking on the next email, users don't always look at the subject.

In fact, there was an article somewhere I can't currently remember about this guy who actually likes to receive spam. He was disappointed that he only received 17 messages they day they interviewed him. He says he loves finding good deals through the unsolicited messages in his inbox. People like him make Spam worthwhile to spammers.

14. EpicBoy

Original Member

A single sale makes it worthwhile for the spammers. It costs nothing to send out these emails. Free. So what do they stand to lose if nobody buys? Nothing.

15. simonh

Indie Author

Spam usually has a conversion rate of 0.00001% or similar, but of course x 1 million that brings in a few bucks.

16. Diodor Bitan

Indie Author

Given how much I had to work to get one $15 sale in one thousand _downloads_, I'd be very surprised if spam earns more than pennies.

Which is exactly how much these spamming losers are worth.

17. EpicBoy

Original Member

I'm sure they'll cry themselves to sleep tonight on their money stuffed matresses and gold trimmed pillows.

When costs = 0, then your profit margin is 100%.

18. Diodor Bitan

Indie Author

With a 1 in a million conversion rate?

When costs = 0, that's how much money you have or you'd actually invest into something.

19. Bluecat

Original Member

I've believed for a while now that it is not the spammers that are the problem, but the companies that use them. Although a lot of the crap spam, selling pills, or 'small' low cost stuff comes from spammers selling their own product like the ebay merchants. All of the 'big' stuff like mortgage refinancing, and debt management... along with a lot of other products, comes from companies who pay the spammers to send these obnoxious emails. My understanding is that this is where the big time spammers make most of their money. So maybe this where the antispam movement needs to focus to dry up the spammers core business.

A lot of these companies are starting to realise that they are losing their reputations for a very small increase in business, but the spammers keep on selling them the line that sending spam is good for them. Maybe these business need to be reminded that it's not that good for them. Emailing or phoning these businesses and politely telling them that you will never use their product or service might scare them straight if enough people do it. Maybe then, they will stop using spammers.

20. EpicBoy

Original Member

I'm sure they do invest in other methods. However, spam is free. Sending out 12,000,000 emails is free ... if it results in a single sale, it was worth it. From a business perspective, why NOT do it?