Fun, Adventurous, and Mystical Music for Your Game

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by dannthr, Dec 30, 2008.

1. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Name: Dan Reynolds

Expected Compensation: Flexible scales depending on your project's size and needs--contact me so we can discuss how I can work within your budget.

Services: Coming from a childhood steeped in film and game music, I bring an absolute love of thematic orchestral music to the table. I can provide subtle textures for the richest atmospheres or colorful, adventure-packed orchestrations for those all important themes. Allow me take care of your game's character, mood, and significant moments--you've worked hard to make your game look and play beautifully--let me bring something unique and special to your game for the soundtrack.

Spotlight Examples:

The Big Chase
    An example of simple interactive music (Intro + 2-layer Loop w/crossfading + Outro) Think of a Detective Chasing a Crook!

WA3 - Beyond the Stars

Dawntide - The Tilled Earth (w/ Live Violin)

Montages:

Updated 2010 Montage (4:20)

2008 Demo Montage (9:03)

2007 Demo Montage (4:51)

Production/Arranging Services:

Some fan was kind enough to upload these:

Booty Island Fish Fry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AkOfLz8mus
    Live: Trumpet, Bari Sax, Trombone, Clarinet
    All other instruments: Me

Cooks Chase:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4X3xx-iygc
    Live: Trumpet, Clarinet, Trombone
    All other instruments: Me

Stealing Elaine's Map Piece:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgaWdS1XLvk
    Live: None
    All instruments: Me

Phatt Island Alley:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvcI6d19ffg
    Live: None
    All instruments: Me

Previous Experience:

Caribbean Treasures (Currently in Production) (EmotionRays)
    Wonderland Adventures 3: Planet of the Z-Bots (Currently in Production) (Midnight Synergy-Composer)
    Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition (LucasArts-Arranger/Producer)
    Dawntide (WAISoft-Composer/Sound Designer)
    Marvel Superhero Squad (THQ-Music Programming)

Brite Eyes (AEFilms-Composer)
    Chain of Command (Composer)
    Wonderland Adventures II: Mysteries of Fire Island (Midnight Synergy-Composer)
    Rain (Redeemer Productions-Composer)
    Highlander: The Game (Eidos Interactive-Music Programming)
    Into the Black (Thunderpower Games-Composer)
    Melee: The Game (Walking Dead Studios-Composer/Sound Designer)
    Shopper Rush (Candella Entertainment-Composer)
    Luna: Shattered Hearts (KingLith-Composer/Sound Designer)

Inquiries can be made through email, pm, or directly in this thread--please email for a quote.

Thanks for the listen, I look forward to hearing from you.

- Dan Reynolds

#1 dannthr, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. amilcojazz

Original Member

Very impressive stuff. Your demos are between the most professional productions I heard on thi forum...:)

3. dannthr

dannthr New Member

4. amilcojazz

Original Member

Good stuff. We have to be ready for all the musical requests but every one has his musical tastes:)...Your prediliction in orchestral stuff is an important skill because of the complexity.

5. Benson Lai

Benson Lai New Member

I personally know Dan through the circle of composers/sound designers from audio gang. Very serious and dedicated composer, and can write some great tunes for your project. I highly recommend him.

6. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Hah, thanks for the recommendation, Benson.

7. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Let me also add my highest recommendation for Dan. He worked on the soundtrack for Wonderland Adventures Mysteries of Fire Island (see http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?p=182880) and did an amazing job. Not only is the final music outstanding (and got lots of rave reviews from players), he is extremely easy to work with. Thumbs way up!

8. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Wow, thanks Patrick, that means a lot to me. Your satisfaction is my pleasure, honestly, I'm proud to deliver a product you're happy with.

Thank you.

9. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Updated samples and portfolio.

Also, I'm happy to announce that I'm working with Patrick Maidorn again on another Midnight Synergy endeavor!

10. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Just having a listen to the samples (and as a fan of Orchestral work) I must say, it's certainly nice stuff.

11. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Thank you very much, Reactor. :)

I like to think of every job as an opportunity to surpass expectations and deliver a product I can take pride in when I post here.

12. Jonathanvdw

Jonathanvdw New Member

Very nice work on there Dan. You commented on my post while back, time to return the favor ;)

Loved the arrangements for MI2 btw, nice to know you did those. Awesome work!

13. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Hey Jonathan, I appreciate the courtesy!

Monkey Island 2 was a wonderful experience. LucasArts was demanding, and they wanted it asap, but the whole team was brilliant and the material was a delight to work with. In total I was responsible for about a quarter of all the music reproduction in the game with most of my focus being on Booty Island (by request--I loved the Bone Song Scene and when Elaine and Guybrush fight--but I also requested it because I'd never done dixie-land style jazz and I really wanted a challenge).

Some more of my favorite tracks:

Guard Kiosk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmqtC7gJs8o
    Live: Muted Trombone and Clarinet
    Me: Everything else

Dream Sequence (I produced all the music there--three separate tracks in total)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8cWVwpQU4
    Live during the bone song: Trumpet, Alto Sax, and Slide Guitar
    Me: All other instruments

Guybrush and Elaine's Interactive Fight Sequence
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRYV6kMZIL8#t=6m20s
    Live: Trumpet, Clarinet, Trombone
    Me: All other instruments
    I didn't work on the romantic intro to their theme, that was reused from the old game, but the backing track that plays while Guybrush and Elaine talk to eachother, I worked on that. What was cool about this scene was that the live instruments would play pleasantly or horribly depending on whether or not you were insulting to Elaine--lots of really amazing takes from the live players doing outrageous and disturbing noises with their instruments.

#13 dannthr, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  14. whisperstorm

Original Member

Your work is amazing! I wanted to offer a bit of advice as well - you may also want to consider approaching major facebook game developers as well - like Zynga, etc. as you may find new markets for your music.

15. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate the words of encouragement.

16. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Currently seeking clients and am making some neat functionality improvements to the music section of my website!

Please check it out and let me know what you think of the design. I'm looking to incorporate some of my older projects in there as well as incorporate some of my new stuff, but the design concept hopefully allows that.

17. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Just wrapped on a project and am seeking new projects!

Can't share the new stuff yet, so that will have to wait until later, however, a fan of Monkey Island 2 uploaded the whole soundtrack in decent 480 quality and I have created a playlist of all the tracks I worked on:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dannthr#grid/user/F9E76CD18A98E838

I did most of the work on all the tracks there save for some excellent live performances by the musicians and I only worked on the upright bass on The International House of Mojo.

Otherwise, enjoy! :)

18. nsmadsen

nsmadsen New Member

I've known Dan for about three years (or so) now and I have a high degree of respect, trust and admiration for both his work and him as a person! If you're needing music (or some mighty fine cooking!!) Dan's your man.

19. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Thanks man!

Last dish I made was a curry couscous and chicken dish with feta, chickpeas, spinach, shredded carrot, raisins, cashews complimented by a light lemon vinaigrette.

ALSO:

I wanted to mention that Monkey Island 2: Special Edition was recently nominated by the Game Audio Network Guild for BEST HAND-HELD AUDIO!

http://www.gamingbits.com/general-g...dio-network-guild-awards-finalists-announced/

Very exciting!

20. dannthr

dannthr New Member

MASSIVE UPDATE to my Website, with Photos from GDC of the whole Monkey Island 2 Audio Team as well as plenty of tracks including Soundtrack Quality versions of some of the MI2 Cues I worked on as well as some material from some really stellar Indie games that are coming out later this year!

Caribbean Treasures:
    A fun, jazzy calyspo themed game!

Sand Between Your Toes
    Hot Beach Towel

Wonderland Adventures 3: Planet of the Z-Bots!
    The final chapter in the Wonderland Adventures trilogy!

The Red Desert
    Beyond the Stars

Plenty more on my website! www.musicaineer.com

Check it out!