From 0 to 100 in PTK ( bighfish acquires funpause )

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by patrox, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princec

Indie Author

If you're trying to make money, being acquired is pretty much the whole reason to start a business. 9 out of 10 times you start a business with the express intention of being acquired, with the other 10% of companies going the whole hog and floating (a more complex result but with roughly similar financial ramifications).

There is very little point in creating a business without such plans - unless you just want to plod along maintaining a hobby/lifestyle business before eventually it peters out and you have to move on.

This is one thing that surprised me greatly about Dexterity - Steve never had an exit strategy. His business is just trundling along and going nowhere, eroding away as time goes by, and as everyone revered him as a business guru, I raised an eyebrow...

Cas :)

2. lakibuk

Indie Author

Dexterity: According to his personal development blog he's not interested in the games business anymore. And he's making thousands of dollars with ads on his site.

3. princec

Indie Author

Such a waste.

4. mahlzeit

Original Member

I'm sure he'll accept a reasonable offer for the bussiness. ;)

5. Savant

Original Member

When Steve concentrated on the business, he did good things with it. It's a testament to what he built that it still makes money with basically zero maintenance.

6. princec

Indie Author

That is precisely its value. If he were a proper businessman... he'd do what Emmanuel has done, and fatten it up in preparation for a valuation and buy-out. A valuation at the stage his business is at currently would be roughly 5x profits; I suspect if he's still making $50k a year off of it that most of it's profit and he could flog Dexterity to someone for $250k.

7. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Well, I don't know about that. My family have been operating a business for going on four generations now, with the main objective being to continue to provide a stable work environment for the people employed there.

As for my own "business" - well, I can't imagine anyone making any moves to acquire it... but since we are talking about creative products here, I see my own future closing-down role as making sure that my work makes a smooth and safe transition into the public domain, where it can be freely and legally available to anyone that wants it. I can't do that with Platypus unfortunately, but that's made me all the more sensitive to the need to protect my games from mutilation or imprisonment. They are my kids, after all.

That's not to say that selling up is wrong. But there are other options, and other reasons for pursuing them. After all, the only thing you can get from selling up is more money. And I don't think Steve Pavlina needs more money all that badly. If he did, he could probably train himself to do a paper route while he slept, or something.

#47 Anthony Flack, Jan 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  8. princec

Indie Author

For sure, for sure... but I did wonder about Dexterity, as his focus was primarily on making business decisions to make money, not to make amazing games. Seemed a little incongruous with his aims and objectives.

9. patrox

Indie Author

Probably arcadelab. OLA Director of Bigfish sweden, that sounds nice :)

pat.

10. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Congrats to Emmanuel. It's a great business deal. I wonder if FunPause still be able to develop quality games month by month (or at least each qaurter) and if Emmanuel still does programming stuff.

Anyway, he can still be indie - after day job, which is now probably way much better than others have.

best regards
    Roman

PS. Damm, it passed 6 months since we decided to do games and still did not released one. But be prepared - that big day is coming :cool:

11. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

From the other thread

Am I missing something here? Since when did FunPause have 20 downloadable games and 55 online games?

I suspect the author of the other post meant something else. Like, Big Fish have control over 20 downloadable games etc.. etc... including the Funpause portfolio of titles.

12. tentons

Indie Author

Yes, but aren't those large developers? I think FunPause is pretty small by comparison (correct me if I'm wrong, though). Small publishers buying tiny developers seems different, I guess.

13. David De Candia

Original Member

I think this is fantastic news for Emmanuel. Congratulations, and the best of luck to him.

The news for fellow indies developing casual games is mixed. Yes, it is testimony that success in a short time frame is possible. (And yes, "success" means different things for different people.)

But it now seems clear - if Fairies didn't make it obvious already - that casual game production values are sharply rising. Teams led by people like Emmanuel are going to be very tough to compete with for the more resource-poor end of the indie scale.

A rise in quality in casual gaming was inevitable. This acquisition only hastens an ongoing trend. The question is, who is going to be able to lift their game and keep up - and who is going to be left behind?

It will be interesting to see how all this pans out. Who knows, maybe this will be a blessing for indie gaming? If the casual route becomes less attractive due to such strong competition, then perhaps, just perhaps, a few more of us will turn instead to creating something closer to our own hearts?

14. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yeah, I'm still curious how many people are at FunPause. Please, do share. ;)

15. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Well, probably the answer is closer than you may think :) Run Fairies and wait for credits :cool:

Roman

16. Andy

Original Member

I didn't get this pat. Do they use PTK as well? :p

17. Daniel

Original Member

Sorry guys. Double no there!
    Arcade Lab has declined all given offers (doesn't include BFG FYI), and uses an in-house engine!

18. Andy

Original Member

Duh Daniel! But this is such a way easy to fix. You just use PTK for the next two games and... No? ;)

19. Daniel

Original Member

Are you saying that if we switch to PTK we will become an almighty game producing machine? ;)

We did take advantage of the OpenGL driver in ptk for Mac OS X, and later on Apple wrote an article where they featured our games. Hmm, maybe you're right, PTK might be the ultimate key to success! :eek:

#59 Daniel, Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  20. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

??? Funpause games didn't raise the bar in terms of production values, and nor were they particularly resource-intensive. In fact they proved that a small team, working quickly, can adequately reach the current standard of polish without any problem. If anything, the most likely problem is going to be a glut of imitators.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.