From 0 to 100 in PTK ( bighfish acquires funpause )

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by patrox, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharkbait

Original Member

Absolutely awesome.. I can't believe the leaps and bounds Funpause did in less than a year!!! But all of it is well deserved.. Atlantis hit the indie scene like lightning on a sunny day.. I simply couldn't believe the jump in production values.. and not much later it was followed by Fairies.. which I must say was another major jump.. especially teaming up with that Julianne gal for the music!

Congratulations... I can't help but feel a little envious! But you truly deserve it as ypur games rock! :cool:

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Congratz Emmanuel. I have a question for ya. I don't think I've even seen it mentioned, but how many people do ya have at Fun Pause?

3. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Congrats! :)

Just less than a year ago we were in a similar boat when both our initial games tanked on BigFish (Garden War & Pow Pow's Puzzle Attack). Fast forward a year later you're the frickin Director of BigFish in Europe! And I am... well... I'm just still in business. :D

Again, congrats. The fact that you were able to quickly adapt to the market while at the same time dramatically improve your production values I think greatly attributed to your sudden success.

4. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

hey! Where is the party? Am I invited? :)

5. Tertsi

Indie Author

Wow.. Didn't see that one coming. :eek:
    That's awesome news for you.
    I'm just curious what will happen to funpause.com?

6. Sharpfish

Original Member

And I can tell people I was one of the few who stuck up for him and his business ideals (while not getting hot under the collar about his so called "cloning", regardless of my own ideals, money is money and is what we all survive on)..

..let's hope he remembers that when I submit my games to BFG in the future ;)

Seriousy though - congratulations! :)

7. Gnatinator

Original Member

Hey that is pretty cool. Congrats Emmanuel.

Some good publicity for pat's PTK aswell it seems ;)

8. tentons

Indie Author

From the press release on Yahoo:
    Looks like it'll become part of BigFish, too.

9. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

BigFish acquired a fantastic company. Good work Emmanuel, you earned it!

10. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Is this good news? Is it success? I can't even tell any more. Everyone certainly sounds happy about it though. In the six years or so that I've been involved in making games, I've seen this business change so much that it all seems completely alien to me now, and this feels about as close to my experience as hearing the latest dealings from Sony or EA.

But, although we've seen people here define the word "independent" to mean all kinds of different things according to their own preference, and I don't want to get into that game again, it really doesn't make much sense to use it to describe a wholly-owned subsidiary of another company.

I'm not saying that Emmanuel should stop posting here; that would be silly. Besides, I don't really think that "independence" is something that means very much to most people here any more, if indeed it ever did. Otherwise why would everyone say that it was awesome to not be independent anymore? The thing that people respect most of all is money, after all - and this is indeed a great day for money. And as Sharpfish says, regardless of your own ideals, money is money. It sure is.

And since money is clearly the main motivator for most developers, you now have further proof, if further proof was necessary, of the best way to go about getting some. Go for it.

11. Andy

Original Member

We don't need to care about BigFish in a moment. They were already much stronger than we are in any directions. :D

BUT: Basically such aquisitions work bad ( slow down the whole procedure ) for both sides. So, we probably could be happy that Big Fish becomes weakier as well. We'll see... ;)

Saying seriously though. These are pretty fun news. Good luck to both parties!

PS: Yeah! And let Emmanuel stop posting here!!! He isn't independent any more. Let just guys who haven't made anything but is ready to guess on any quest post here. :D

12. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I know you're not serious, and that all sorts of people post on these boards, but I did find it strange that all these so-called independent developers think it's fantastic news to be aquired by another company.

13. berserker

Indie Author

It started long ago. What about Real acquired GameHouse? PopCap acquired Sprout? Macrovision acquired TryMedia? The list goes on :)

14. Ricardo C

Original Member

It's not like Emmanuel took up a job slaughtering infants for Microsoft. Jesus.

It is possble to be happy for how quickly Fun Pause grew into a succesful developer, while at the same time not being inclined to sell our own studio/company/whatever. But by all means, keep spreading the doom and gloom, I don't think anyone's quite suicidal yet.

15. soniCron

Indie Author

I think it's important that it's what Emmanuel wants. To be independent or aquired doesn't matter right now, only that a fellow independent developer achieved his dreams and had a clear success, and in such short time. The semantics are unimportant -- his achievements of his goals are paramount.

@Ricardo: Be nice. You can't "attack" someone for bringing doom and gloom -- you'll just be replicating what you're fighting against! ;)

16. Andy

Original Member

Yes Anthony. I'm not serious about posting in forums. But I'm definitely agree with your opinion in general.

Again for me these are just pretty fun news. And I predict for them both this is just amount of additional headache. I've seen in the past how such acquisitions work for both parties - this all is always not so easy to manage by correct way.

And again-again if we see how Emmanuel is excited by a deal why not to say "CONGRATULATIONS!" to him?

REM: Looks like that becomes the tendention so let we all better guess now who would be next? ;)

17. lakibuk

Indie Author

Don't quite understand why many people are so joyful about the acquisition of Funpause. Some points:
    • BigFish gets stronger and thus is limiting the space for indie developers who are selling from their own site.
    • BigFish gets a good developer to make games for them, so it gets harder to get your own game featured/marketed on their site.
    • BigFish is expanding its operations in europe, so it gets harder to sell games to europeans. (Like for myself, a big % of my sales comes from Germany)
    • They are entering the Mac market, which many indies resorted to, cause PC sales were getting worse over the last years.
    So what exactly are you happy about?

(Note: Of course i know that this is just the normal way that things evolve in any industry and there's no way to change that. And it's a great achievement of Funpause to get into this position.)

18. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

I'm sure Emmanuel has a pretty solid exit strategy. If my business was aquired, I mean when it's aquired, and I'd been given the position of VP of european (quick find the man a job) operwhatsits then I'd be counting down the days until I could get out of the contract and go Indie again.

Good luck to you sir, it's good to see the "little fish" arousing the interests of the, dare I say it, "Big Fish"; apologies for the pun.

Regards,

Tim.

19. Tertsi

Indie Author

Most of you are probably doing this because you like developing games and while you probably won't ever become a millionaire doing so (Emmanuel has now I'd guess), there's potential to earn more than with a normal boring job.

So instead of getting 100% free hands, as far as I understand FunPause has still quite free hands but now they probably earn significantly more and can spend that extra money to have extra fun while not working. :)

My point is that I consider the benefits for FunPause to outweight the negative sides assuming they paid over what FunPause is worth in Emmanuel's mind. So congratulations! :)

20. Sharpfish

Original Member

Yeah.. to be clear.. the "congrats" on my part are that he has achieved "success" in his chosen path. I am neither personally happy or upset that funpause was aquired - just offering a pat on the back to someone who has clearly done something right in the context of his own goals.

I don't know what this will mean for FPs future game output but that is besides the point. We (most of the rest of us around here) can still go about our own business of being 'truly independent' as this news does not affects us.

It is the same thing as when WWW got into german retail - it meant squat to us personally, and may or may not be a good thing depending on your ethics - but the point of the congrats in that case was to offer praise to someone who has achieved something they set out to do or even an unexpected bonus.

I don't know why so many devs get on their high horses about what other devs choose to or not to do, or what games they choose to make. Surely being independent means you can just get on with what you are doing and not worry about everything else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.