Freelance artwork...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Reactor, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

First thing- if this is the wrong place to post this, could one of the mods please move it to the appropriate forum? Thanks... I'm not completely sure which forum is best for this, since it's not a job proposal.

After hearing the calls for cheaper freelance, and having some time to burn between projects, I'm looking to do a little freelance artwork. I'm considering charging about $50US for a solid day's work (about 6 hours). From what I've read, most artists charge about $20 an hour, so that's a very cheap rate. However, I'm not the world's best artist, and although I have some experience under my belt, I don't have a huge amount of experience with the new programs I'm currently learning. With the older ones like Truespace, I'm quite comfortable, however.

In other words, I'm capable, but I'm hardly going to take on the big guys.

Since financially I'm looking for a little more income, I'm either going for the good ol' part-time job, or I could really push myself (learn a whole lot) and try my hand at freelance work.

What I'd like to know is- what do other people on this forum think about cheaper rates for less than perfect artwork? If there's a resounding "Yep, that could be helpful." I'll jump in and get to work. If people would rather pay the big dollars for someone who's guaranteed to produce what you want, I'll leave the idea behind until I know I'm fully capable to tackle any task.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. svero

You need to post some kind of portfolio of the work you've done.

3. hh10k

Original Member

The best portfolio of my work can be seen at the Superfurious website. All 2D and 3D art is mine. Also, can people reply to this post here? I've tried in the past and was unable to reply to posts in this forum.

(I'm not even sure this will post)

4. Ricardo C

Original Member

$50 is almost half a minimum wage monthly salary here. I would never pay that amount to someone who by his own definition is just "good enough". I'd REALLY recommend changing your sales pitch, unless you're catering exclusively to devs in more financially sound countries, and even then, admitting to your lack of skills is bound to turn some people off. It's not exactly a confidence builder ;)

5. Applewood

:rolleyes:

If you're pitching to programmers, youd'd better not repeat that you think 6 hours is a solid working day! :)

6. Reactor

Thanks for moving this thread, Svero. My portfolio is the game and website at the bottom of this post.

Heh, yeah... I suppose not. Still, I bet if they were programming for me, they'd consider 6 hours a 'solid day' as well.

The $8 an hour or so I'd be charging is about as low as artists tend to go these days. If you want art, you have to pay for it. I agree it's not exactly a confidence builder pointing out that I'm not the world's best artist, but then, what do people expect for $8 an hour? Would you like to be paying $8 an hour, only to find out that awesome picture the guy did on his portfolio website took him over six months to make?

I'm making the statement that a cheaper solution for art could exist. The question is, does anybody want it? I'm testing the waters here- not making a sales pitch. There seems to be a litteral ton of indie devs I've seen over the last few months completely unable to find a solution for art, because the base $3000 is just unobtainable. They get told to muck around in a 3D program, which is the equivilent of asking the cleaner to set the launch procedure for a NASA rocket. He may get the rocket to fire, sure... but where the heck is it going?

For developers in that situation, could they use someone like myself? They don't need a professional graphics artist. They just need someone who can do a decent enough job, and not charge like a wounded bull for it.

7. Applewood

This depends on who you're pitching at. There are two types of indie developer - those that do it properly and make a living at it, and the dabblers that hold a real job and do this largely for fun at the evenings and weekends.

The former category aren't going to want crap art. They know they need top-notch stuff and will pay for it. However even those would probably prefer a backend royalty deal to manage their outlay better.

The latter category don't make bupkis and are in it mostly for the fun. They will be making about 8$ a day in sales if they're lucky, and they're doing the programming and everything else, so you won't get a bean out of this crowd. Not only can't they afford it upfront, they won't offer much on the backend either.

The state of indie development as a viable earner is laughably poor. If most of the people on these boards increased their games' incomes 100 fold, they'd still be better paid working for 'the man'. Presently, this scene isn't about the money!

8. Ricardo C

Original Member

I know that. But I'd rather pay it to someone who comes right out and say he's not a good artist ;)

Again, no argument there, but I'm not about to hire someone who's gonna use my project to "build skills".

I sent three humanoid models I made to a German artist I know and he animated and skinned skinned them for $20 apiece, and did a great job on them, and took a week to do them. There are always low-priced alternatives to the market standard.

#8 Ricardo C, Mar 25, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  9. papillon

Indie Author

Well, I've mentioned previously that I'm willing to pay mediocre prices for mediocre art, under certain circumstances (generally to pad things out). But it will, of course, depend on whether the artist can produce what I'm looking for, and do it QUICKLY.

That's my trouble with almost all artists I've tried to work with, paid or unpaid. They're so amazingly slow. My own art is mediocre and probably precisely *because* I don't spend as much time on it getting it perfect as a really good artist would, I'm too driven by "finish and move on".

Paying by the hour is NOT an option in a case where I'm pushing you to get it done quickly. :) I'd be much more likely to work out a single fee for the project - obviously with a full breakdown of everything I wanted and a long discussion ahead of time.

Your website isn't really much of an artist's portfolio, though, unless you're only planning to show off the ability to make spaceships. :)

10. Reactor

Most artist's websites are quite poor from what I've seen, and since I'm not making a proper pitch right now, it'll do as a basic "I can make and draw some stuff" example.

I hear you on the whole 'get it done fast' thing, papillon.

What kind of humanoid models? A week sounds about right for some basic low-poly stuff. Also, I suppose it depends on what you consider a 'great job'. I've seen works that many developers rave about and they look plain bad to me.

I guess I'm hired then! ;) Or maybe you mean't you wouldn't like to pay...
    Anyway, I didn't say I wasn't good. I more or less said I wasn't worth the big bucks.

I'm afraid you've been duped, because every artist does this to some degree. I hear what you're saying, however.

Anyhow, thanks guys for the responces. I doubt I'll go ahead with it, mainly because it's obvious you have to be fully skilled to get anywhere, and somehow able to find those in need of your services as well. I think it works like this-

Show off your amazing tallent --> Convince people to pay $3000+ --> Work really fast with your amazing skills.

Anything other than this... well, I doubt I'd earn anything. Maybe one day, but not now, while I don't have a smooth workflow sorted out.

11. Ricardo C

Original Member

I wasn't trying to discourage you, I'm just saying you really shouldn't try to justify your lower asking price by citing your skill level. I'm on a shoestring budget, and even then, I would be reluctant to hire someone who basically said "I'm cheap because I'm not all that great". Show off your portfolio, highlight the fact that you charge less than the average pro artist, and people will come.

12. Ratboy

Original Member

Heh heh... I've done that a few times, taking jobs without a clue as to how I'd finish them... ;)

13. Reactor

Ratboy... LOL :)

Ricardo, thanks for the encouraging words.

You're right, I'll quit doing that. If I do decide to do the freelance thing, I'll just have the be flexible price-wise, for each project.

14. Weber

Original Member

To be honest when I get to that point it would be something that i may be interested in.

15. Reactor

Thanks Weber, good to know.

16. Battleline

Original Member

Quick Plug for Reactor

I just wanted to let everyone here know that if they are questioning Reactor's talents they should check out his game "Cell Block Squadrons". I found it to be quite impressive, and his rate is amazingly low.

17. Weber

Original Member

I too was impressed with it, which is why i left the post above :)