Free Willy!

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Valen, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Valen

Indie Author

Well, I've finally taken the leap and quit my job. You won't hear any more bitching about how my job is draining me of my life force. :) I did learn a few valuable lessons from the short period of time that I had a fulltime job. One is that a job is simply not for me (and I'm never getting another one ever again). Another one is that the Dilbert comic strip has more truth in it than I previously thought (this has been scaring the hell out of me). If you ever worked in a large company, you'll know what I mean. All in all, I'm very happy that I left. I was surrounded by cynicism, indifference, and people who weren't even remotely passionate about what they do. :eek:

I'd like to dedicate this thread to all those people who haven't been able to quit their job yet. May the force be with you, and may you free yourself from the tyranny of fulltime employment! :)

Oh and in case anyone's wondering where "Free Willy" came from, click here.

#1 Valen, Sep 10, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  2. SunAndGames

Original Member

Dilbert is actually kinda sad

Way to go . . . it's great to see another creative spirit freed. I'm still living the nightmare, and longing for my last day. What you say about cynicism and indifference is so true. Ya gotta wonder how so many companies can stay in business with employees who feel that way. I'm truly at the point now, where Dilbert is just not funny to me anymore. Only because I have to live it everyday.

But hey, good for you. It's very encouraging for me to see someone be successful. Just makes me want to get there that much sooner.

#2 SunAndGames, Sep 10, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  3. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

Congratulations Valen!
    I quit my job at NVIDIA on September the 1st. It was a great job as far a jobs go, fun passionate people, great to work with, but not what I really wanted to be doing. Honestly it's still sinking in, but man it is starting to feel better and better all the time :D

I was just going over the biggest mistake thread the other night, and loving that so many people said their biggest mistake was not doing it sooner.

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I am another person who can only say about this kind of decision "I should have done it sooner".
    My case was different: I experienced both a big company, not cynism but general indifference yes, and Booooooooring job.
    Then smaller company of webdesigner: and here was really a torture. Forced to work in inhumane conditions, with 5 people smoking in a 25 sqm room with 6 computer turned on (temperature over 40°C during summer).
    When I think back at those times I can't believe how FOLLY I was to keep staying in that place instead of going to the boss screaming "fu%$ you and your company!!!!" :D

5. wazoo

Original Member

Still working the grind

Yeah I'm still in the grind right now, but making some plans to escape it.
    (I hope).

Just trying to "hang on" at work long enough while I slave away trying to finish enough games (and hopefully generate enough sales) in order to leave..

I'm *hoping* to follow a 5 games in 5 years plan, though as I gain more experience with the "indie" routine of marketing and business stuff, I'm hoping to up the number of games in that time period..

My only problem right now is platform decision. I have no access to a Mac and grew up a DirectX programmer. :)

Do I put energy into making a small SDL/OpenGL engine (for EVENTUAL ability to do Mac ports), or keep going with what I have in DX8.1?? Desicions, decisions...*sigh*

Has anyone else faced this decision tree before?? :)

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes I think almost anyone did :)
    I may seems repetitive but I suggest you look at PTK, really stable and useful cross-dev library OpenGL based.
    So far only 2d support, but somewhere in near future there should be 3d (it is a rumour I've heard). Highly recommended (check my games, they're all made with it except USM).

7. Sirrus

Original Member

Its funny the relation between company workers turning indie and immigrants from other countries. If I could just save enough money to hop on the boat across, I could make a new life.

Hehe...

Alex

8. Mickey Crocker

Mickey Crocker New Member

I'm jealous...

What I would like to know is how (seems like everybody) is able to quit there job and go full time indie... How are you guys doing it? Are you actually making enough money off of your small selection of games, like Valen, off of the one game Brickster. Or do you guys just save money from your full time jobs until you can go a while without a job, to spend full time on your company until you are making enough money to support yourself?

That's what I'd like to know. :D How can I do the same?

9. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

I actually started to work part time to fund my new game. While I am making enough to support myself, I needed extra amount to fund te game. So far so good, and i get free 1.5MB connection and lots of knowlednge in the internet area (I work at an ISP helpdesk). So finding an interesting part-time job can be both financial & technical/knowledge helpful.

10. serg3d

Original Member

I'm quiting too :)
    Working last month. I'll probably draw unemploement benefit while finishing my game.