Free Replacements for a lot of Commercial Software that People Commonly Pirate

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Cartman, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Cartman

Indie Author

2. GBGames

Indie Author

That's a great list, although I am surprised the original listing didn't show Gnu/Linux or BSD as alternatives to Windows, which is something I am sure gets pirated a lot as well.

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

He's put down JEdit which made me smile. He's gonna piss his pants if he ever takes a look at Eclipse. Does that do desktop Java too ? (I've only used it for J2ME and it was setup by someone else)

4. kay.altos

Original Member

I really don't think that Linux or BSD is alternatives to Windows :). Just trying imaginate it and can't.

However it's a good list.

5. d000hg

Original Member

Yeah the list is for thinks you could use as an easy alternative. Switching Win->Any other OS will require a fair amount of effort to learn the new OS, even forgetting the pain of installing it.

6. jmc

jmc
    Original Member

Very good list, Do any of you know free games that could replace shareware ones ?

thanks.
    jmc

7. Ricardo C

Original Member

I can use the GIMP and arrive at the same results as I would with Photoshop.

I can't play a knockoff and get the same experience as playing the original game, regardless of price.