Free Demo! Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Steve Ince, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Steve Ince

Original Member

2. mahlzeit

Original Member

I just looked at the screenshots, but they appear to me almost as optical illusions. ;) It's really tricky to tell what is front and back on those tiles. Weird. (Maybe it's me.)

3. Popcorn Boy

Original Member

Mr. Smoozles

Pretty cute from what I was able to see. I waited outside long enough to see what the frog turned into. Then, after I mentioned how I was glad he wasn't lazy anymore, I experienced "a problem with my reality" and couldn't get back.

4. Steve Ince

Original Member

That's quite surprised me. No one else has said anything like that. It must be you. :)

5. Steve Ince

Original Member

I think I may have broken something. :(

Thanks for finding that.

6. Maupin

Original Member

I played up until I got stuck looking for a workstation to validate the green keycard... I often wasn't sure to press Enter or CTRL while in front of objects.

I really like the characters and their animations. Very cute! And the story's world seems to be well thought out.

And... the 3D of the room layouts looks odd to me, too. ;) It's difficult to perceive depth.

7. Steve Ince

Original Member

The console in the "prison" needs 20 shards to be brought online. Then you can validate the green card.

Sorry that the graphics are giving you problems with depth.

8. Maupin

Original Member

I wouldn't say "problem," but it takes longer to scan a room and see where Ed can and can't walk.

Ok, finished the demo. My problem was I never found the instructions for the reality enabler, and then when the game was reminding me to read the instructions, I couldn't find any inventory examination key/options. It was just dumb luck that I stumbled upon the instructions on the wall, because I assumed they were in my inventory.

9. Steve Ince

Original Member

I implemented it this way because I wanted to force the player into getting used to using Ctrl to examine/look at things, too. I learned from an earlier game I worked on that you have to set these things up early in the game or they get forgotten for when you really need them.

10. TimS

Original Member

Nice demo! I'm happy I played it. A few thoughts:

1.) - The 3D depth issue was odd to me also. I guess maybe I'd get used to it, but it does look... odd... for a while anyway.
    2.) - When the game starts up (right at the verrry beginning, the music does a sortof funny stutter thing. Very minor, but you could probably easily fix it by delaying the start of the music for a half-second. (unless that brrrring is in the music itself, in which case... I dunno.)
    3.) - The font cutouts in the main menu looked jagged to me... moreso when fullscreen.
    4.) - The text in the speech balloons would fill a line to overfull (put a word on the line) and then correct itself (take that last word to the next line.) A polish issue, but probably one somewhat easily fixed.

5.) - Character art was excellent... I like the little comic intro. The world is cute and engaging and that helps.
    6.) - The story, while being kindof generic in the alien invasion sort of way, was well put together and cool. The little bits of dialogue almost reminded me of Maniac Mansion. I get the impression that it would be interesting to play through the whole game (from the bits in the demo).

7.) - The demo is way too short. Not sure how long it took me, but it wasn't very long. This gives me the impression that the full game wouldn't have enough additional to offer... could be a false impression, but that's the thought that struck. That said, your description of it as a "short demo" leads me to believe that the "regular demo" might be longer? Here's hoping. How long does the full game take to play through (roughly)?

Anyway -- pretty good stuff, and thanks for the demo.

-Tim

11. Steve Ince

Original Member

Thanks for the comments, Tim, particularly the complimentary ones.

Currently, this is the only forum where the depth issue has been raised and by a few people. Should we read something significant into this? :D

Maybe for a decent programmer, which I'm not. :)

The full game will probably take most people around 6-8 hours.

12. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

Hey Steve. :D

I sent you an email on this.;)

13. Steve Ince

Original Member

Yes, I got it, thanks, and you have a good point in what you say. There's much else to think about, too, thanks.