Free Daily Bulletin for Independent Game Makers

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MakingGamers, Jun 13, 2009.

1. MakingGamers

MakingGamers New Member

Hi,

I was hoping you could take a look at my website http://www.makinggamers.net . Making Gamers is a Free Daily Social Networking Bulletin for Independent Video Game Makers. Your published posts and the responses of other members to your posts make up the daily email bulletin, so you can:

*Form partnerships with other members make games – a major goal is for independents to get together and make games.
    *Find an answer to your Video Game development related questions.
    *Assist other Game Makers to find solutions to their problems.
    *Find an audience for your games.
    *Seek feedback on your existing projects, portfolios, upgrades, and new stuff.
    *Seek paid work and promote your skills.
    *Discuss and debate issues that matter to you.
    *Share and discover the latest on Funding, Training, and Networking Events.
    *Take Advantage of member discounts and other free stuff.

I hope to get a great cross section of the different fields of the Independent Video Game Development community, so please register at http://www.makinggamers.net/register.html

Best regards,
    Ian Salt
    owner/founder
    MakingGamers

#1 MakingGamers, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Maupin

Original Member

Can't be bothered. But I will bother to post here and note that your URL is wrong :rolleyes: and your site design needs a lot of work. Even well-designed game developer social networking sites have failed. I notice that most of your bullet points describe things I get from this very forum.

3. MakingGamers

MakingGamers New Member

responce removed

#3 MakingGamers, Jun 17, 2009
  4. Sybixsus

Original Member

Minimalist is fine. A brochure page is fine. Small total site size is fine.

However, ugly gradients, overuse of primary colors, overuse of Photoshop layer styles, too many mismatched fonts, and no real color coherency is not fine. None of these are part of being minimal or maintaining a small total site size.

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

For the record and for future reference, I (and others) don't take kindly to unsolicited spam e-mails and generally won't bother with anybody who attempts to drum up business using such invasive methods.

6. MakingGamers

MakingGamers New Member

responce removed

#6 MakingGamers, Jun 17, 2009
  7. MakingGamers

MakingGamers New Member

responce removed

#7 MakingGamers, Jun 17, 2009
  8. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't care whether you buy it or not, and I haven't specifically contacted you and cluttered up your inbox by asking you to buy it. Further, you can hide signatures on this forum if they bother you that much, or just not visit the forum if you want to make a one-man protest against signatures as a whole.

Networking? Or spamming? They aren't the same.

Anybody who disagrees with your dubious marketing strategy is 'dripping poison'? Its nice that you're showing your true colours so early on. I haven't been rude to you and my advice was constructive. I'm sorry you didn't like it/agree.

9. Sybixsus

Original Member

Oh, you designed the site just for yourself to look at. Sorry, I picked up the impression it was for other people too.

Incidentally, if unsolicited emails are "networking", why does the privacy policy on your website state

10. TimS

Original Member

With regard to site design matched with that comment / attitude:

Dunning-Kruger.

'nuff said on that topic.

Other than that, the IDEA for the site is a pretty good one, and I wish you luck! Could be useful if widely adopted, etc.

-Tim

11. RoadMaster

Original Member

Why are you all such dream-squashers? How dare you critique his website and give him advice when he went through all that work of welcomingly soliciting your e-mails.

*goes to site*

Wait... what decade is this?

12. MakingGamers

MakingGamers New Member

Hello and thanks all, the feedback is very much appreciated, you have certainly given me some issues to think about.

Update
    ______
    I have started the redesign work, based pretty much on what everybody here has said, focusing on...

*removing background gradient
    *unifying the font
    *replacing the primary colors
    *replacing the photoshop layers with a more functional/homogonous effect
    *Unifying the color scheme
    *updating the navigation

Somebody has also mentioned to me there is a WWW 2.0 document of web standards, so I will probably take a look at that as well.

I will probably host the new site alongside the old one as index2.html, and so maybe get some feedback as the work progresses,

regards,

#12 MakingGamers, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009