fpShoot - Space Shooter (FLASH)

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Leper, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Leper

Original Member

SPACE ARCADE - The Game! (0.7)

Hi guys!

I'd like to get feedback on a game that I'm currently working on. This is a space shooter that comes with a fully functioning level editor that will let a community share there own levels. Pretty much all that is left is level design and audio.

EDIT: MAJOR UPDATE
    Game Page
    Screen Shots
    Quick Play

Some questions:
    What would be a better name for this game???
    What kind of reception would you expect from this game on flash portals?
    How can I improve this game?

Thanks in advance!

#1 Leper, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. princec

Indie Author

Hm, it feels really off, as in, animations keep stopping momentarily.

Cas :)

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Not for me, silky smooth over here. Not sure how it's going to compete with other, prettier games in the genre. First thing I was told was to grab the coins, I started grabbing the green coins and kept dying. When I started shooting the green coins I saw smaller, gold coins to pick up...

Whats with only one life?

4. speeder

speeder New Member

Hello

Why the enemy look like coins? I died a lot on them.

Also, the game is utterly boring, I only had to stay in the middle and hold the fire button and sometimes move to grab a stray coin.

And why there are no background? Even atari shooters (like, River Raid) had background!

5. Leper

Original Member

Thank you very much for your feedback! I had no idea people would interpret those as coins! That makes total sense, and I am definitely going to change that.

As far as dying once, that is intentional. The reason is you still keep the coins you collected, and can purchase a better weapon. Then you can play the level again or a different one until you complete it. The idea is based off of physics puzzle games where you get one shot then try again or select a different level. Something common found in other genres as well with flash games.

I'll also add backgrounds and try to make it less boring. thanks.

6. JGOware

Indie Author

It looks a bit dated, but it runs well on my older kit. I wouldn't expect it to get a warm reception, the flash shooter market is very mature and peeps expect alot more now days. Still..as long as you didn't/don't spend too much time on it, it might be worth it in the long run.

7. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It says kill the enemies, collect the coins.

So, I made straight for a batch of falling coins, which turned out to be enemies. I sort of lost interest after that.

8. electronicStar

Original Member

This + user created levels make your game concept well suited for microtransactions maybe.

9. Walter Druck

Walter Druck New Member

runs smoothly here, I ran right into the coin enemies at first, too, and also got frustrated by the unforgiving health/live system. shmup gameplay itself i found to be very enjoyable though!

if you insist on that harsh health system, at least make getting in and out of the game smoother, so everytime I die I don't have to switch to my mouse, find that tiny 'ok' button, find the level again I just played and then get to play again. that arcady spirit of having to restart the entire map can be totally acceptible if you remove the clutter and annoyance around it. if I die, let me smash the enter button three times and be back in the game, starting over!

sounds more critical then I actually mean it, found it quite enjoyable overall!

10. speeder

speeder New Member

I forgot to say, because after a while this was a minor issue compared to others, but I had issues with framerate too, the animations would freeze, and sometimes skip, really bizarre.

11. joe

joe
    Original Member

i only played the first few waves, but they were a little bit boring. i want the enemies to fly nice curves. and i want them to break out of the waves to attack me.

12. Dogma

Dogma New Member

Played the game for a bit, first 6 levels or so, my feedback:

1) Don't make every weapon offensive, give defensive upgrades as well, for example let the player buy a shield for 10 dollars, and maybe a second shield level for 50 dollars. This gives the player control over how he wants to play the game, at easy, medium, or hard.

2) The money, it is too hard to pick up. I think you should have it move towards the player if he is near. Maybe make this an upgrade too with more attraction power the higher the upgrade

3) Color schemes. I think they need to be clearer. If a coin is yellow and round, dont make a yellow and round enemy. It is confusing. If there is one enemy that will explode into small parts when you fire it, and another that looks about equal but will fire at you, and you put them together in one group, that is kind of annoying.

I think those are the most important ones. I think the game has a good chance if you can find a way that the players don't close the game or rate the game down out of pure frustration.

13. Leper

Original Member

You guys are awesome!!!! I've got a juicy update coming soon. Thank you so much, your feedback has been extremely helpful.

14. Leper

Original Member

SPACE ARCADE (the game!) version 0.7

Hi guys! I've made some HUUUUUUUGE Changes! So even if you gave this a spin a while-back, expect something almost entirely different! This would not have been possible without your hard criticism. It motivated me tons!!!!!!!

Play
    [​IMG]

A SHMUP(Shoot 'em up) flash game featuring a fully functional level editor.

UPDATE (0.7)
    * Created 12 Quality background images.
    * Changed enemy colors to better fit their behavior
    * Removed enemy that looked like a coin due to confusion
    * Reworked entire UI (art and control)
    * Added Keyboard Control to menus and Messages
    * Users can now just press Enter to switch from game to campaign and vice versa
    * Added Shield Upgrade
    * Added Coin Attractor Upgrade
    * Reworked all levels, 24 available at current
    * Reworked collision detection system.
    * Improved game-speed
    * SOL integration
    * Preloader added
    * Modified the first post of this topic :D

CREDITS:

Sprites designed by Miguel Angel Perez of tayokoart.
    Background art and UI art by Matt McFarland
    Game Design by Matt McFarland
    Game powered by FLASHPUNK
    Level editor SAVE LOAD window powered by MINIMALCOMPS
    Flash programmed using FLASH DEVELOP

SPECIAL THANKS

shmup-dev forums: motorherp, MrHoppy , Hornet600S
    flashpunk.net forums: rolpege, Jimmy, Noel, Zachary Lewis, PigMess
    indiegamer forums: Joe, Dogma, Walter Druck, electronicStar, lennard, JGOWare, speeder
    facebook: William, Ryan
    Scott Schonefeld's OUTSTANDING Art Tutorials

#14 Leper, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  15. Walter Druck

Walter Druck New Member

yeah, it improved quite a bit. more fun to look at, easier to jump in, but it still gets insanely hard quickly. for my liking/skills at least. and I lost all my money when dying, even the stuff I earned in earlier levels? that somewhat spoils it for me ...

i wonder why there are no stars and debris rushing by in the background, shouldn't this take place at breakneck speed?

other than that: liking it.

16. Leper

Original Member

That's really strange! I do not lose all my money when dying, or none of the stuff that I earned in previous levels. I think this has something to do with your flash settings. You might need to be able to let flash access your hard drive, as the data is saved there.

I was thinking of adding debris and stars, but I am afraid it would make it look "too busy" and it wouldn't mesh well.. I might explore this option though.

Thanks!

17. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

Got stuck at level 11. All enemies gone, but the level didn't finish. Ship remain on screen, I can move/shoot, etc - but the "end level" dialog didn't appear. :(

18. Leper

Original Member

This happened to me once a while ago and I thought I fixed the problem.

:confused:

I'll look into this as I can play all the levels without it happening. It seems to happen SOMETIMES, and I don't know why.. The level handler runs the "exit game" function when the enemy count and coin count is at zero. I'll try to figure this bug out asap. thanks for pointing this out to me.

19. Leper

Original Member

IF YOU HAVE A FLASHGAME LICENSE ACCOUNT YOU CAN REVIEW THE LATEST VERSION 0.92d Otherwise, I can't disclose my game due to licensing concerns.

I have purchased 30 first impressions for the game, where you get 30 random players from different backgrounds to review your game and remain anonymously, and the game currently is holding a decent score which can't be disclosed at this time.

You can play the latest here:

http://www.flashgamelicense.com/view_game.php?from=dev&game_id=16107

UPDATE NOTES:
    * Optimized Level Handler
    o Fixed a bug in that wouldn't end the level after you kill all the enemies on occasion.
    o Added a 2 Second Delay to be placed before the "end-level" function fires to make the transition more smooth.
    * Improved Graphics
    o Added scrolling star-field / debris
    o Made level display text more legible (displays at beginning of each level)
    o De-saturated backgrounds
    o Used analogous colors for enemies
    o Used opposite colors for bullets
    * Added EASY / NORMAL / HARD
    * Added Ship Speed Control
    o Press X to SLOW Ship
    o Press C to SPEED Ship
    * Reworked the levels to adapt to the new game changes
    * Added TUTORIAL Screens
    * Added CREDITS Screen
    * Added Music & Sound
    ---V.92
    ADDED MORE IN GAME INSTRUCTIONS - First few levels explain how to play the game
    ADDED TURBO SPEED - Hold SHIFT for Turbo Speed!
    ADDED SMART BOMBS - Press SPACE BAR to use a smart bomb, it costs $100 coins that you have collected while in the game. All enemies will be destroyed.
    CHANGED MUSIC - Added more intense music for game play
    REDUCED FILESIZE - from 13mb to 4.5mb