FPS Game Engine, why not use IDtech1/Quake engine?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by HiddenDepthGames, Aug 19, 2015.

1. HiddenDepthGames

HiddenDepthGames New Member

Hi all!

Been looking around for a good FPS engine (tried unity and dont like it for a lot of reasons) And I cant work out why more indie devs dont use IDtech 1 / the quake engine?

I am guessing I have missed something but it seems like an awesome choice as it has all the features I need PLUS it will get 60 fps even on really old hardware. I know it has a GPL license but this wont stop me from selling the game, I just have to give the source code as well.

Can any of you guys think of a reason NOT to use the quake engine? I will go with Unreal 4 otherwise as it has all the same benefits + being modern EXCEPT it wont be a good experience on older hardware.

Cheers for info guys!

p.s the type of games I am looking to build are momentum/speed based single player games and death-match style multi player games.

:)

2. ManuTOO

Original Member

Hello,

id Tech 1 = Doom 1 & 2.

I guess you're talking about id Tech 3 = Quake 3.

So :
    - no normal map
    - no skeleton based anim
    - no SSAO, bloom, linear space lighting, motion blur, etc...
    - ie: no any modern stuff that have been added to 3D engines in the past 15 years

And :
    - no one has a PC from 2000 anymore, and if there's still some of them around, they are probably not used to play any recent game
    - any 7-year old 3D gamer GPU can produce hundreds of millions of polygons per second (in 2000, the best GPUs were under 10 million polygons per second in real case scenario)