Forum layout

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by oNyx, Nov 5, 2005.

1. oNyx

Original Member

<edit>The layout is back to normal. Nothing to see here. :)</edit>

Please undo that latest change. Having lines that long to read is really tiresome.

I really loathe this ultra wide layout. And I'm too lazy to explain again and again whats all wrong with it. (Well, its so obvious in-your-face painful that I dont really need to do that, right?)

Thanks for your attention.

(The problem has been pointed out in another thread, too.)

#1 oNyx, Nov 5, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. revve

Original Member

Wow, I didn't even notice (probably has something to do with the fact that I got up 30 mins ago) - I just realized I had to move my eyes more to read posts.

I also just saw VBulleting was sitting on version 3.5.1 - was it upgraded recently? I think this new layout is the default for the new version. If it is, I doubt there is anything that can be done to easily change it back, except for a manual template overhaul.

(had to go to Google Cache to compare ;)

PS. The smilies don't work for me anymore

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Strange.. I thought it semed odd. Im not sure what's responsible for the change. I didn't change it.

4. revve

Original Member

I just came from the VBulletin site - they claim they did a lot of template changes since the previous versions. Not sure when the software was upgraded, but according to Google Cache, this site used to be version 3.0.6 and it looks like it is 3.5.1 now. Wonder if that's it?

5. svero

I'll ask Mike B.. maybe he upgraded it. I didn't do anything to change the format myself, so I'm not sure what happened or exactly how to reverse it, if that's a good idea.

6. revve

Original Member

I dunno - the new layout is kinda nice. Just needs a bit of getting used to. I don't know if the problem with the buttons on the edit screen has anything to do with my browser or anything, though.... I'll try IE (ugh) and see if it is fixed.

7. simonbowerbank

Original Member

I tried to access the forums a few hours ago and it said it was down while it updated to the latest version.

On another note, I think something tasty should be done with the www.indiegamer.com domain rather than just having a link to the forums.

8. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I'm not big on the new layout either. Since the table width stretches to 100% of the screen, it does make it a pain to read especially on high resolution monitors. I almost I have to tilt my head from side to side. :)

9. svero

Definitely. I'm still working on that. I'm very busy though so it's taking a while. I think there's a good chance it will become a download/news/reviews kind of site again.

10. simonbowerbank

Original Member

Thats great, if you need any help ill lend a hand with whatever i can.

11. soniCron

Indie Author

I'm having second thoughts about the new layout. Perhaps it's not so bad. After all it is so bad that I no longer feel compelled to spend hours on here, thus upping my working productivity tenfold! Now, maybe you could color the background hot pink...

12. Ricardo C

Original Member

I'm working on a small monitor (15''), so the "panoramic" view is not too bad, though I still prefer the traditional format.

13. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I had to upgrade vbulletin to 3.51 due to security holes that it fixed. I guess they changed a bunch of the default templates... I will see what I can do to get it back to how it was, though I really don't mind it this way.

14. joe

joe
    Original Member

i don't like the new format either :-(

it makes long posts hard to read i think.

hmmm... so if it's harder to read i probably would "waste" less time on this board and have more time to create a brand new top-selling indie game? :)

15. terin

Original Member

I agree

If you can change it back, I don't much like this format. I find it much harder to read...

-Joe

16. ninjasamurai

Original Member

Well there is one good thing about it: it forces you to read the name of the poster before reading the post, so you always know who's saying what.

(OT They should make a newer version with more smileys :) )

17. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Not only is the new format a bit harder to read IMHO, but it also messes up the buttons on the post form. I can't use any of the formatting buttons (not that I do much anyway) in firefox.

That said if you keep the new one, I don't care enough either way.

18. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Is this any better? I capped the width to 800 pixels...

19. ggambett

ARRRRGH MY EEEEYEEEEESSSS!!! :eek:

20. Sharpfish

Original Member

Mike - sorry but in my opinion the capping is no good - it actually makes the main index page look crushed up... I think a little would be good but not too much. I am sure the main problem is the names above the posts because you have to scroll past so many blue bars which are distracting from the text - of course this is being nit-picky and if need be we'll just have to get used to it ;)

(fwiw though the 800 cap is too much - and for clarity what I mean is check the index pages listing topics - the topic titles run into multilines because they are too long - also text is overuning the icons at the bottom of the posts in certain cases now (the quote button for instance). I am on a 1024 screen though so it will seem different to others of course.

I would really rather have that old style back (names and posts/locations on the LEFT) it just feels untidy like this - though I understand it isn't your "fault" and if you can't fix it then we'll have to get used to it - at least, as sonicron pointed out, it may stop us hanging around posting stuff all the time ;)

#20 Sharpfish, Nov 5, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2005