For Sale - development and art software

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jim Buck, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Jim Buck

Indie Author

This seems like the best place to post this.

I'm clearing out software (and one piece of hardware) sitting around on my desk that I am no longer using. Prices do not include shipping, though if you live in the San Diego area, you are more than welcome to pick-up shipping-free. :)

• MS Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition: make an offer
      • this is the full version - not the upgrade
      • comes with the original box/manuals/cds/serial
      • includes a burned backup of disk 1 since original disk, included, is split in two
      • also includes service pack 4 and the Feb 2001 edition of the platform SDK
    • Borland Turbo Pascal for DOS 7.0: $30
      • academic version - same as non-academic version but with no tech support (can you even get tech support on the regular version these days?)
      • comes with the original box/manuals/disks
    • old Gravis PC GamePad (the kind that plugs into a game port): $5
      • comes with the original packaging, plastic joystick, and utility software on a floppy disk

#1 Jim Buck, Oct 31, 2005
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Did you feed the original discs through a paper shredder or something? :)

3. wazoo

Original Member

Exit Interview

Luggage's Boss: "So Mr. Krueger. Unfortunately you just don't seem to be 'cut out' for handling data backups. I'm afraid we're gonna have to 'trim' you out of the company."

Freddy_Krueger: "I should kill you just for those horrible puns you stoner."

4. Jim Buck

Indie Author

When I moved to Poland for a year back in 2002, I brought all my development disks with me. To save space when packing, I just brought the disks themselves (not even the jewel cases). Well, a few of the disks managed to get scratched in that time. The broken disk was formerly a fatally-scratched disk that I carried to work in my pocket to compare to disks I had at work, and it broke when I sat down. :)

(To the guys that PM'ed me - I'll get back to you later.. I'm just on here for a second before getting ready for a meeting.)

5. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I got a few bites from my original posting but nothing that lead to selling anything.

So, for this Thanksgiving holiday weekend only, I'm discounting everything by 25% (not counting the shipping). Should be good for making those turkey-based games. :)

6. Sybixsus

Original Member

Do you have permission to transfer the 3dsMax license? It was my understanding that Discreet/Autodesk have a policy of not honoring license transfers.

7. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I did email Shawn Steiner about this, but I haven't heard from him. I wanted to find out if someone can use this license to upgrade someday, etc, however I generally know from experience that this is not possible. However, I can't imagine why I can't just sell this software as-is (no upgrade capabilities and no tech support) since it's already paid for, and it comes with a legitimate serial key. It should work just fine. I sold another copy I had a year ago, and I haven't heard from the guy that bought it from me (a former co-worker), so there isn't a technical problem with using it.

8. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Xmas discount

I can't seem to get rid of this stuff, so I'm discounting by 30% from now until next Saturday, Dec. 24 (since I'll be taking off on that day until after New Year's). Doesn't someone need first-class development software? :)

I can't save while editing the original posting for some reason, so I want to add that neither upgradability nor tech support is available for the 3dsmax 4.0 software. I didn't hear back from Discreet, so I'll just assume the worst.

9. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Ok, I only have a few items left that, in honor of it being GDC week, I am discounting by 50% until the end of GDC (end of this Friday). Prices do not include shipping. PM me, and I can tell you the shipping rates to wherever you live.

10. Jim Buck

Indie Author

With it being E3 week and all, I am making a final ditch effort to sell this stuff since I have no use for it. Instead of me offering a % discount, I will consider any reasonable offers. Please help me clean up my desk. :)

11. princec

Indie Author

...eBay?

Cas :)

12. spellcaster

Original Member

Just wondering... right now only VC6, TP and the gamepad are available, right? I'm just wondering because it says "art" in the thread title and 3dstudio was mentioned...

13. Jim Buck

Indie Author

The art software is already all sold off. I can't edit the title of the thread, though.

Yeah, worst case, I suppose I could hit up eBay. First, I'd like to give my fellow game development brethren a shot. :)

14. gmcbay

Indie Author

I think you'd have to find a real sucker to buy that for anywhere near three figures in a world where Visual Studio Express 2005 is free. I know there are certain things like MFC/ATL, etc that VS6 EE has over the Express editions, but someone would have to be in a very specific and rare situation for a purchase like that to make sense, IMO.

15. Laser Lou

Original Member

I don't consider that to be so strange, primarily because of Visual Basic 6. That's the last version of VB that targets native Windows rather than .Net, so customers can download and install programs without also having to download the .Net runtime.

16. Jim Buck

Indie Author

True and true.. that's why I've decided just to take a decent offer. It's just a large box sitting on my desk collecting dust and should be useful for someone since I'm using 7.1.