Flash MX on Mac - openURL() problem

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ggambett, Aug 5, 2004.

1. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I know this isn't the best place to post this but I didn't have much luck with less-perfect places ;)

I have a .fla with a couple of buttons which call openURL() to open a browser window to a certain URL. This .fla is used to generate a .swf, a Windows projector, and a Mac projector.

The online version and the Windows projector work as expected. The Mac projector, however, opens a blank browser window.

I want to know 1) if this is a problem with my setup or it doesn't work for someone else - http://www.mysterystudio.com/openurl_test.zip and 2) if there is a workaround. I was thinking of having a .url file and launch it as a document, instead of using getURL() directly.

Thanks!

PS - I'd swear I posted this before but can't find it so I may have done Preview instead of Submit. If I did post and a moderator delete it, sorry :)

2. Sillysoft

Indie Author

On Mac OS X I downloaded the ZIP and it creates a file called 'openurl_test' with no extension. Double clicking it gives a 'There is no specified application to open this file...' message.

3. Sillysoft

Indie Author

OK, so I just tested it and I get the same thing as you. It brings the browser to the front (and sometimes an empty browser window is opened) but no location is opened.

Looking in the Console.app where system messages get printed I see this:
    Code:
    Aug  6 17:26:04 ninja /Users/dustin/Desktop/openurl_test: *** Warning: ATSUSetFontFallbacks has been deprecated.  Use ATSUFontFallbacks objects instead. ***
    Aug  6 17:26:12 ninja /Users/dustin/Desktop/openurl_test: LaunchApplication(/Applications/Safari.app)
    The first line gets printed out when I start the app, and the second when I click on something.