Flash Games? - Thoughts on sponsorships and other ways to leverage them.

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by AdamSchroeder, Sep 4, 2007.

1. AdamSchroeder

AdamSchroeder New Member

I've been a long time lurker in this forum with a particular interest in people trying to capitalize from their flash games. [search for sponsor and you will find a few]

Recently I released a game and I've spent a tremendous amount of time over these past months researching sponsorship and other ways to capitalize on your game. I still have a LOT more work to do but I believe it has reached a point where it will have value to other developers. So I wanted to release it now and start getting additional input from people as I more forward.

In addition to my thoughts I also have a writeups from John at CrazyMonkeyGames, Greg from Kongregate and Joe from ArcadeTown. There is also an article from Simon at Ezone.com (a successful independent game company) that will try to convince you that a sponsorship is not the best approach.

Please let me know what you think of the site!

Flash Game Sponsorship

Also, I was wondering if anyone has explored the idea of building a mini flash game to promote your "bigger" non-flash game. This could serve as a way to promote and drive traffic to your site.

2. Spore Man

Indie Author

Of course. It's done all the time.

3. KNau

Original Member

Excellent site! You did a good job of covering both the pros and cons of sponsorship deals.

4. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

POPCAP did it all the time.

Anyway, they used it that method to let people d/l game, not just promote their site.

5. Bad Sector

Original Member

This is a very good site :). Also i like the "simple" design, it helps focus on the content :D.

Too bad that many people don't accept Java games... i already have a working framework in Java for webgames, but still i need to remake everything in haXe if i want to make Flash games (well, i'm remaking it, but... why? :p).

6. AdamSchroeder

AdamSchroeder New Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words!

Truly if anyone here has had experience in the flash game world I would love to hear from you (and maybe have you write a small article for me). :)

I've seen a lot of threads here where people are talking about promoting their games and I don't recall seeing people suggest the "make a flash game" route.

AR 3 has had 800,000 people play it over the past 3 weeks. About 1% of them clicked on the evilfree logo to come to my site. If the game was designed to actually bring people to your site... I bet you could hit a 10-20% click through rate easily.

I'm not sure what it would cost through ads to bring 80,000 people (that like the 'idea' of your game) to your site.

7. datxcod

Original Member

I work as a flash developer and making a flash version of your game is a good idea to attract people to your own site. The problem is that not all games can be successfully "ported" to flash. Unless it's a simple arcade/puzzle/find the hidden object game, it would be like creating a simplified version of your game from the ground up, while trying to keep all the features that make the game fun (since it has be really fun to really draw attention to your website).

#7 datxcod, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  8. KNau

Original Member

Just bumping this thread because I think it's worth mentioning the speed with which sponsorships are paid. I have no confirmation (perhaps the original poster could verify) but I've heard that payment happens pretty quick, ie. less than a week from closing the deal. I only mention it because the downloadable business can be so friggin slow when it comes to payments.

Also, rereading Ezone's piece, he shuns sponsorship deals advocating posting the game on your own site to collect ad revenue instead.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can do that anyways. I haven't seen any sponsorship terms that would preclude you from posting the game on your own site and collecting a monthly passive income on top of your sponsorship. And looking at the Alexa rankings of a few developer (not portal) sites - it's pretty clear that an impressive amount of traffic gets funneled back to the developer, even with sponsor logos everywhere.

I'm not sure it has to be an either / or situation - does it?

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

My experience with two (flash?) portals is that they indeed pay very fast :).

10. Andy

Original Member

Well. This is more important for me to get paid A LOOOOOT instead of fast. :D
    All licenses for our Flash games were paid in the time frames of agreements though. So I don't know what else should I expect. :) There wasn't a sponsorship deals though.

PS Let see how fast and big would be the payment made for this one:
    http://www.flasssh.com/blobbop/
    Yep guys and ladies. This is our new game announcement. :p No any screenshots... :D

11. AdamSchroeder

AdamSchroeder New Member

I believe most sponsors pay very fast. I had my check from CrazyMonkeyGames within a week after giving him the final file.

That said... I'm totally with Andy on getting paid "A LOT" instead of "FAST".

You can host host your sponsored game on your site. The difference is that most people will not play the game on your site when its available everywhere else on the web.

I've making about $1.50/day on google ads from people clicking on my logo and visiting my page.

If the only place to play the game was your site. Or if you made a "demo" version to spread on the web with a link back to play the full version your ad income would DRASTICALLY increase.

The more game you have on your site the more each visitor is worth. Since they will likely play more then one.

I'm really happy you guys are finding it useful. I'm getting a lot of great feedback from other places as well.

I was wondering if you anyone could recommend other places where I could try promoting the site? Or if you are feeling particularly generous you could make a blog or forum posting about it. :)

Thanks so much!

Adam

12. Spore Man

Indie Author

If you make that much with Google Ads, I predict you'd make about 10x to 100x that if you joined up with a proper ad supplier like ValueClickMedia, Burst, or Tribal Fusion.

13. AdamSchroeder

AdamSchroeder New Member

I'm near a $2 eCPM do those companies average a lot higher then that?

14. Genimo

Indie Author

Sorry, but are you speaking based on your own experience or are you speculating?

15. Spore Man

Indie Author

Own experience of course.

16. Genimo

Indie Author

Spore Man, I would really appreciate if you could share little bit more about your experience! Maybe you can post your URL so we can see what ad layout you are using.

You see, I've tried myself pretty much all the ad providers that you listed (Google, ValueClick, Tribalfusion, etc.) and in my case Google AdSence beat the rest in eCPM (i.e. actual payout on 1,000 page impressions) by ~5x. And my eCPM with Google was similar to what AdamSchroeder quited above.

Thanks!

17. Spore Man

Indie Author

Maybe I have the opposite problem and just have not monetized Google Ads properly:

www.LilGames.com

As a point of reference, about half my traffic comes through the front page which has a 125x125 ad. Other size formats rotate into the other ad spots.

18. AdamSchroeder

AdamSchroeder New Member

19. Andy

Original Member

Adam, I was wondering really why are you doing this?

As far as I'm able to figure out whole this sponsorship BS is most dirty way of fooling developers around. They get your IP exclusively for terribly low money.

I'm young in the area and probably was just increadibly lucky to find really reputable and supporting partners publishing our Flash stuff but check what established Flash game developers say on issue:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=675716&highlight=game+sponsorship

REM: There is even more detailed discussion in that forums on issue. But it was got derailed on 12 if not more pages (as always in gamedev forums :) ) so I wouldn't disturb you with that link.

Looking at your activity I assume you are game developer so far. So why to help portals with promotion of this? :)

20. soniCron

Indie Author