Flash Game Money 101

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Hideo, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hideo

Hideo New Member

I would like to ask, how much money one can make on a good, fun Flash game, like those available on all those sites. Please, give some primer into money making in the Flash arena.

What I'm after is quick money. I have an idea for nice small game, which would be quite easy to make in Flash. I would like to spend no more than three months developing it. How much can I expect to make and how to proceed?

Any help appreciated.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

If you do a search you'll find plenty of results :)

3. AdrianC

AdrianC New Member

Flash games can get sponsored for anywhere in between $50 and $20 000 depending on the quality of the game. Average is about $1000. Check out http://www.flashgamelicense.com/ for more info.

4. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

I released one Flash game using MochiAds and from my experience I can tell you that the ads pay a ridiculous amount of money with MochiAds. It's not even the minimum wage. The game bring a significant amount of traffic from the “Play more games” button. That is probably worth more than the money from the ads.

MochiMedia released a system with micro-transactions for Flash games. If you're going to spend nearly three months developing a Flash game, I believe you should think about the micro-transaction model or have a subscription model. The sponsorship model could bring you a one time deal of some thousands of dollars.

5. andrew

andrew New Member

The quality of Flash games has risen considerably, and it's harder to find sponsors than it used to be. Nobody cares how much time you put into the game, it's more a question of a) does it look interesting, and b) does it have repeatable fun.

If you want to get into the $10K+ range (which is still not much for 3 months of work), you need to do some research. Go to Armor Games, Kongregate, Miniclip, Newgrounds, and look at which games have 1+ mil plays and high user ratings (at least 80-90%) and assess the quality level.

- andrew

6. Xiotex

Original Member

I've made roughly £38k from Flash games so far and that's a combination of Sponsorships, Mochiads, flash game conversions and making flash games for others but if there is one word I had to describe that process it certainly wouldn't be 'quick'

If you are after quick money Flash isn't it, neither is the iPhone, PC, Mac, console or indeed any other game dev I can think of. Game dev requires work.

7. InfiniteStateMachine

wise words

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yep agreed big time. The only way to make quick money in game dev is leveraging some of your existing game code, knowledge and contacts (built up over years) to bang something out quickly, which is what I'm doing right now.

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes, people see flash games and their (usually) low-quality art and think = short dev times. That's not true, while there are some exception, in general even doing flash games requires 3+months of work and as others said sponsorships aren't good as they used to be.

I want to try making one with Monkey but just as practice to learn the language, don't expect to be making much money at all :)

10. JGOware

Indie Author

If I spent 3 months on a Flash game I would expect a minimum of 30k, and that would mean making one of the most popular flash games.....ever. Flash "$works$" when you can do a game in 1-2 weeks. Any longer and it's a huge gamble....much harder right now then it has been in the last 3 years.

11. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Really? Do you make any games at all? I don't seem to see the market that gives you such returns (on games made within 3 months).

12. electronicStar

Original Member

Some people did make good money with crappy less-than-a-week games, but that was in the past, the market for flash games has become very competitive now.

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well if the revenues are those, I see no point in doing a flash games instead of a downloadable, if all you want is one-time money. Doing a webgame or MMO is of course very different, but this... ?

14. Nexic

Indie Author

Only real way to make good money at it is to make something ultra popular, and then make endless sequels until it's no longer interesting. Either that, or use it purely as a vehicle to promote other games/products.

15. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

I think the reason is simply that games, in general, have all gotten more expensive and customers expect more these days. More importantly, unless you have a pre established audience, it's even HARDER today to find an audience than it used to be. So, it's harder to make anything making ANY type of video game...

The same thing happened in the casual game market, no? Wasn't there a time when you could just make any type of Match 3 game and be expected to earn SOMETHING? Well, not anymore...

So, now, if you don't have A LOT of money to spend on the best resources or so, you're not going to do too well in the downloadable market...

Flash games are easier to make and I do think that it's a good avenue for any developer (who can't afford the best graphics / sounds / programming) that is just starting out.

16. kraz007

kraz007 New Member

Quick money comes to bank robbers or accountants who ran away with their clients' money :)