Flash Game and Webpage Feedback and Advice?

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Merx, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Merx

Indie Author

Could you have a look at this simple flash game and let me know what you think...

It was made for the Ludum Dare #17 competition but did not quite make it under the deadline.

Yep it needs sound, music and better graphics, but do you think the game mechanics work?

Energy Islands: Conquest

NB: If it's slow for you in Internet Explorer try Chrome or Firefox but please let me know if it runs OK

2. JoKa

Indie Author

Could be interesting, but I didn't fully understand how to play. Soon I had used up all missiles, found no ammo but noticed you can launch this "frog". After shooting several times I had game over, but didn't notice any hits by enemies.

Some kind of radar would help to avoid enemy fire.

3. Merx

Indie Author

Hi Joka ;o)

Ship / Commando
    Move ASWD Keys​

as Ship
    Space - Launch Commando in crash pod to target location​
    LMB - Fire missile at target​

as Commando
    Space - Launch missile from carrier​
    LMB - Shoot​

Hack or Hestory the island hubs (building at centre of island)
    To Hack Commando has to hold position on hub until hack countdown ends

Didn't have time to implement a mini-map but plan to and was thinking of adding a point defence system to carrier but with limited targetting and ammo, to defend against missiles.

Cheers

4. JoKa

Indie Author

Guess that's a weak point of the game, all these details about commando units are not clear. While the commandos are good for gameplay, it's important to introduce them, making the game easily accessible.

Is there a bug? I died again while firing frequently with a commando unit.

5. electronicStar

Original Member

Could be interesting, but make the ship move more like a real boat.
    And get rid of all the crap at the bottom of the screen (the huge explanation text, the dev logo and the facebook crap).
    And improve the graphics.

6. jpoag

jpoag New Member

I can see some potential for a game, but right now it's not really a game. It's more like a toy.

There are some ideas that lend themselves toward a game mechanic, but it's not really cohesive.

When I first started playing the game, I tried to use the space bar as a fire button. It took me a minute to realize I launched someone into the water.

Then, I figured out that the boat had a limited supply of ammo, and that I could launch the commando to fight. If the commando dies, then he respawns inside the ship. If you return to the ship, then the commando reloads.

Finally, after a couple runs, I destroyed the central power node of an island and then won the game instantly (although there were 8 islands remaining).

Soon, I figured out how to occupy an island, but there was no reward for doing so!

Instead of trying to add more features to the boat to make it defend itself, play some other games and try to work out a game design (and/or buy some game design books).

When I played it, and understood the power nodes, I immediately thought of Onslaught mode from UT2003. In Unreal Tournament 3, it's called Warfare Mode.

Also, play some games like Command and Conquer or Risk (Lux).

You game could go a little something like this:

Basically, every island you capture boosts your energy (and capabilities). Increasing the refill rate on your weapons and the repair rate of your ship.

If you destroy an island node, then it weakens your enemy, but it doesn't help your recharge/repair rates.

So then you have 2 options: conquer the island node and increase your power (while decreasing your enemy's) or destroy the node and weaken your enemy.

When you conquer a node, your enemy will send ships to destroy the node.

That mechanic is easy to understand and lets the player have enough room to play toward a strategy.

Now, for the overarching goal: conquer all 9 islands! The goal seems simple at first, but you should think about how the player starts the game and how they should finish.

Remember they start off with Zero conquered nodes and when they get to the last island, they will either have 8 conquered nodes or the enemy will be weakened to only 1 remaining node.

Typically, games start off slow and simple and escalate until they have reached critical mass. Play Plants Versus Zombies or Command and Conquer. In these games, you have to build up your army, but in some since, so does the opponent. Wave of enemies get more and more intense.

My suggestion is to make each island have a different difficulty rating. One island will have the easiest rating: this is where the player will start. The last one will have the most enemies (and the hardest ones).

Note that in PvZ Easy Zombies are sent in the beginning and by the last wave you are being sent the hardest zombies (bucket heads).

7. manicmilkman

manicmilkman New Member

I'd lose the serif'd fonts in the html in favor of something san serif like in the game.

8. codergames

codergames New Member

Hi,

I loved it, jumped on fortified island, destroyed all the enemies, captured the base, destroyed it and won with a 13770 score and fireworks. Too short in my opinion and the movement is just too fast, try setting the speed of movement to something reasonable, I almost got an epilepsy attack :D

But its great idea for a game! A+ for originality, that what the indie games are all about :) ... lets show corporate mainstream robots how things are done!

9. codergames

codergames New Member

Cool idea, its fun, but the overall presentation could get a lot of improvement. Game should run slower. I agree with the rest of people, fonts are too ugly and almost unreadable.

10. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

I found this game on a different website. I don't remember which one however...

In any case, I couldn't really figure out what was going on. It didn't really have the level of simplicity that most Flash games have.

11. jpoag

jpoag New Member

[​IMG]

12. Jon Hellebuyck

Jon Hellebuyck New Member

I like the graphics, although I did have trouble seeing the reticle over the water as there's not much contrast between the green and blue of those two elements.

Also, it did run slow on my machine (IE6 with Flash player 10). The refresh rate improves dramatically after I lose and it switches to the fireworks animation. I did click "Deny" when the Flash player asked to store information locally, but I'm not sure if that would affect performance.