Flash for Games?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by bob123, Oct 7, 2005.

1. bob123

Original Member

Just wondering does anyone use flash for games?Can you make high quality games in it(or 3d,I think you can)?
    What do you think about it?

Thanks

2. DGuy

Original Member

3. bob123

Original Member

Thanks for the link
    Nobody uses flash for web games? :(

4. Sharpfish

Original Member

This may sound radical, but why not have a look on portals, flash game sites (and google). There are a million (last rough estimate ;) ) people using flash for web based and even downloadable games. Yes it can handle it and it does quite well.
    As for 3D stuff, I believe it has/can be done but is pretty rudimentry and slow - not sure how new flash 8 helps with that (if at all).

5. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

If you want to do 3d in flash you have to code it yourself. Currently it's not worth it at all. If you want to do 3d web games then go with Director (Shockwave)

6. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

7. LiquidAsh

Indie Author

Can anyone recommend a good Flash book geared toward a reader with substantial programming (and game development) experience?

Thanks-in-Advance.

8. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

I was in exactly your position and really enjoyed Charles River Media's Flash MX 2004 Game Development. It takes you through about 10 very different, moderately complex Flash games in ~400 pages, and it's really easy to follow (if you already know how to program in a non-Flash language).