Flash error - Invalid BitmapData

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Shaz, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

Every now and then, my program throws error #2015 - Invalid BitmapData. Sometimes it's close to the start of the game, but mostly it's way in - after 15-20 minutes of playing.

The line of code is
    var bd:BitmapData = new BitmapData(1024, 768, true, 0x00000000);

This runs many times successfully, then suddenly throws an error. Running Windows 7 with Flash Player 10 (flashdevelop ide and Zinc). When this happens, I have over 2GB of free RAM.

Does Flash, or Windows, allocate a RAM limit, and maybe I'm bumping into that?

2. inverse

Original Member

I don't know much about flash, but under 32-bit Windows, you will have a 2GB limit per process:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I doubt that's allocation/locking video memory in any way, but I suppose it might not be allocating from main RAM.

I'd suggest keeping a running total of the size allocated up until the crash, then just do a simple loop allocating that much right at the start (i.e. try to break it intentionally).

3. Shaz

thank you. Will give it a go :)

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

Do you call dispose() when you don't need the data anymore? BitmapData's pixel data are not garbage collected.

5. Shaz

Yes I do, on that class. I do have a few other classes that use bitmapdata, and I need to check those to ensure they clean up properly.

6. HL706

HL706 New Member

Are you certain it's the allocation of the BitmapData that's causing the problem? How are you using the data, is it possible your disposing it and then trying to access it shortly after?

7. andrew

andrew New Member

If you're running that "many times" you're creating 3-4 MB per call... print the running value of flash.system.System.totalMemory and make sure the garbage collector is working the way you think it is...

- andrew

8. Shaz

I can see that memory used creeps up a bit as I go to new scenes and doesn't decrease as much as I expect when I leave the scene SOMETIMES. So there are some things that aren't deallocating properly which I need to find.

HL706, yes, it's the allocation of memory for the bitmapdata that's the problem. The game falls over on the BitmapData constructor. The crash is while the scene is loading, and I don't dispose of it until I leave the scene. I'm not trying to access something that's been disposed.

Andrew, a lot of the calls are for smaller bitmaps, but that example is the maximum size I use, and the particular one that caused it to crash this time.

Thanks for your suggestions - I should have come here a week ago!

9. inverse

Original Member

It's probably important to note, the memory allocation that causes the crash isn't necessarily the real problem (i.e. it's the "straw that broke the camel's back") - if something else is leaking, you're just more likely to run into the problem on a large allocation.

10. Shaz

Yes, you're right.

I did find some other bitmaps in a related class that weren't being disposed, and now I can get quite a lot further in the game without crashes. Of course there could still be other, smaller issues, but I still need to review all code looking for other things that aren't tidied up properly.

Thanks everyone for your help :)