Fishie Fishie - One Button Freeware Love

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Farbs, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Farbs

Farbs New Member

Ta. I think it's a bug to do with DirectMusic, but I can't repro it locally so it's going to be a bstard to fix. Anyone know why this might happen? I'm just playing simple midi files, and it sounds like some of the notes are getting stuck on.

2. Seb

Seb New Member

Score: 16.586 ;)

3. orangepascal

orangepascal New Member

4. OremLK

Indie Author

Actually, that's a very good point. I could see myself paying for this game on my cell, not Windows though.

5. Farbs

Farbs New Member

Nice.
    My highest is ~57000, which I got the one and only time I've played through the game without dying. The maximum possible score is 65000 points but it would take an extremely dedicated effort to reach it. Also your wrists would snap.

6. simonoc

simonoc New Member

Gorgeous graphics, jolly music and funny rhyming instructions but the controls are frustrating in a bad way. Such a shame over the controls, really cool game.

Sims

7. DerR

DerR New Member

Loved the game, love your style of humor. Oh, and I love Pycap.

8. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Fun little game, couldn't get sfx to work, though music came fine. That's usually my fault with my non-commercial sound gear though so I wouldn't think much of it.

I guess you chose MIDI to keep file sizes small, and they are. When you leave a file like MIDI to play on different people's machines, you will get different results. They use different banks, handle different MIDI message differently, and will generally sound different everywhere. If notes are getting stuck on, it sounds most likely localized to one machine. Every Midi NoteON should also have a NoteOFF which is what tells the machine to stop playing a note. Some older machines when stopped in the middle of a MIDI NoteON message can hang the note until they get the command to NoteOFF. I guess what I'm trying to say is, with MIDI, your performance is going to vary. Why not bounce to OGG and be done with it? If you choose to sell, I would definitely go this way.

anyways, dig the concept and the production (even though I can't hear sfx on my machine). Good luck!

Tony

9. Therion

Therion New Member

If you want to use MIDI-like music files for size saving, you can use MOD files (.MOD, .IT, .S3M, .XM) they can be small, are tiny and sounds exactly the same in all PCs regardless the sound card they are using.

10. Spore Man

Indie Author

Developers actually still use those formats????? :confused:

11. AlexN

Original Member

Wow! Bloody well done! Congrats! :)

12. AJirenius

AJirenius New Member

Played it myself and also found me wanting to clone it. :D

I find the difficulty level to be just perfect for the audience you are focusing. Great job!
    Just a question: As you are releasing this freely, what 'values' do you find in this? Do you make money (enough) in other ways or is it "just" the values of feedback and warmth of giving away?

13. Farbs

Farbs New Member

Hi again all,

Sorry for the silence, I've been AFK for a few days.

re: mobile version
    I agree that this could really work. When I started on the project it seemed impossible 'cos it required a screen resolution much higher than the 128x128 available at the time, but I think things are looking better now. I have limited experience in the mobile space though and it's not really an area I want to move into so unless someone offers to do the port it's likely to stay PC only.

re: MIDI
    This might seem weird, but file size wasn't such a big factor in my decision to use MIDI. The main factor was that I wanted to work with a restrictive toolset. This is going to sound like a puddle of toss, but I find it very difficult to navigate a large possibility space. By that I mean that the more options I have when I'm creating something, the harder I find it to decide what I'm making. If I'd used mp3 I would have spent hours tweaking synth parameters, trying new instruments and plugins, re-recording, re-orchestrating... It would have been a nightmare. With MIDI I was very limited in what I was able to do, so I didn't burn too much time doing it. The same principle applied to much of the rest of the game. By adhering to self imposed restrictions I found it easier to be creative and get the project finished. For example, it really helped when I decided to use only two types of fish, when I decided to write all introductory speech in simple couplets, when I decided to use the same limited instrument set for all the tunes, and when I decided to make five variants of each level with a similar progression through each one. Sure, I broke some of these restrictions occasionally, but I felt it gave me the right sized space to be creative in without getting lost. It also gave the game a sense of cohesion that might have otherwise been missing.

re: freeware
    I had originally intended to sell this, which is why it's so much more polished than my other game Polychromatic Funk Monkey. After a while I realized that the one button mechanic would tank in the casual space, but I had so much of the game finished that I didn't want to leave it to rot. Aside from my own time I hadn't invested much in the project, and I had never relied on it being a source of income. I also figured it'd be good to get a second game out, that it wouldn't hurt to show that I could finish something of commercial quality, and that people might actually like to play it :) So far it's been downloaded ~800 times.

14. OremLK

Indie Author

I think you might be surprised how well something like this would do on portals. PopCap's Feeding Frenzy seems to have sold pretty well on XBLA (they made a sequel), and it has a similar theme to and only slightly higher complexity than Fishie Fishie. And XBLA isn't even the best market for "cute" games!

I don't think it'd hurt you to try selling it to the Portals--after all, any income from it is better than none, right?

15. Farbs

Farbs New Member

Whoops... maybe I should have charged for it :). Oh well. Perhaps I'll do a sequel one day.

I'm glad to hear you're interested in PyCap. If you use it in a commercial game then you'll probably want to recompile it so as to change the program icon, but if that's no obstacle then by all means try it out.

16. Coach

Original Member

A very polished and charming game. I found the control mechanism really clever and as already said, the control mechanism is the core of the game that everything is built around. Personally I would prefer two buttons (rotation should then continue, instead of reverse, on release of button), and I have my doubt about the longevity of the gameplay but I still prefer novelty gameplay like this anytime over the boredom of mundane games like the mentioned Feeding Frenzy.

I also liked the sfx and music a lot. Especially the music. It never occurred to me that it was Midi. My instant reaction was that the music was very well integrated and really stood out compared to the dull looped based music that so often is heard in games.

17. Rod Hyde

Original Member

Fishie Fishie scored 74% in this month's Retro Gamer (Issue 48). Nice one!

--- Rod

18. Kaos

Original Member

I like it!

1 of the best freeware games I have played recently!

19. Farbs

Farbs New Member

Oh awesome! Thanks Rod!

Now to wait the 2 months before that issue lands in Australian newsagents...

20. Farbs

Farbs New Member

Hey folks!

Just a quick note: There's now a Linux version of Fishie available, linked from my site. I've also added a Linux version of my more recent game ROM CHECK FAIL. I hope y'all like it.