First Look: Underworld Hockey Club

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Digitalghost, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Digitalghost

Digitalghost New Member

Hey All,

I've got the core mechanics down and now it's just a matter of improving the graphics and doing a lot of UI work, so I wanted to post a few in-game vids:

Underworld Hockey Club is an arcade hockey game that uses real physics for handling saves, checks, etc. It supports up to 5v5 multiplayer hotseat and/or network play.

Here are the clips:

Version 0.8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl_vELle-VM

Version 0.20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0727a0jJaoE

If anyone has any suggestions or criticisms, or wants to participate in the closed beta, please let me know, thanks!

#1 Digitalghost, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Hotseat? How does a real time hockey game support hotseat?

3. tolik

Original Member

As one of the youtube users have commented - badass! Keep it going, you don't see many 3D team sport games with unique twist nowadays...

4. Digitalghost

Digitalghost New Member

Maybe hotseat isn't the right word? I meant that you can play offline and online multiplayer.

5. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

"Hotseat," as I understand it, means that one person sits down and takes his turn, then gets up, and lets the other person sit down and take his turn, and so on. This constant sitting down and getting up is the origin of the term, I believe.

For offline multiplayer, do all players share the keyboard or something? I don't know if there's a specific term for that... can you really play up to 5 vs. 5 that way, though? I can't imagine 10 people comfortably sharing a keyboard.

6. Digitalghost

Digitalghost New Member

While it's possible for 10 people to play using a single keyboard, it's not very practical. If you and your friends each have your own joystick, that's a different matter.

The game supports any device detected by OIS (Object Oriented Input System), including joysticks and wiimotes (although I do not have a wiimote, so I can't verify that wiimotes will work). The important thing is that it's possible for you and a friend on a single computer to play against other people online.

7. Red27

Indie Author

I really like the look of it, good work so far!

Just a suggestion, but what about including some comedy animations when a player gets smashed into the glass, say bones flying everywhere, or the classic Tom & Jerry style piano noise as the skeleton freezes in mid air before collapsing to the ground as a big pile of bones?

8. Red27

Indie Author

...and how about a demonic head on top of each goal that lights up with devil red eyes when a goal is scored...?

9. Digitalghost

Digitalghost New Member

That sounds like an awesome idea! I'll see what I can do.

10. dannthr

dannthr New Member

It's looking good for beta, but I think you need to take the theme to the next level!

I would love to see all of the scenery and props really play up the idea that this is a hockey game in Hades. You could make posts out of bones, and ice in hell? What's this?

You could have different levels, say, during a play off, each representing a circle of hell, and in the last one, you could have underneath the ice, a frozen, encased devil.

I really think you should go to town with the idea.

11. Red27

Indie Author

I took that as a tongue in cheek "Hell has frozen over".... :D

[Note to self: look up the girl that said she would comply with my suggestion when certain preconditions were met]

12. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I think it has the potential to be tongue in cheek but right now it's just hockey with skeletons.

The setting really needs to be played up.

You could have a skeleton team where death is the goalie and all the players have scythes.

You could have a zombie team where hockey sticks are extra arms or legs that they've scavanged off of their comrades.

You could have a demon team where hockey sticks are tridents and the goalie is a gargoyle. (You could have a lot of fun design ideas from this stuff too--give the goalies of specific teams special powers and/or just give the teams some kind of thematized special ability)

You could even have an angel team.

I had a teacher who instead of saying "HELL" would say "H E double hockey sticks" you could even use that for a revised title or logo or something.

I could even see something like "Hell has frozen over and the fate of the world rests in your hands!" cheese it up, that's where the fun is going to come from, and let loose with your design concepts and ideas.

#12 dannthr, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  13. Digitalghost

Digitalghost New Member

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. There is a backstory but I didn't include it in the beta since the single player campaign isn't done yet. That should clear up a lot of the thematic elements.

I do agree that I need a lot more in-game theme though, so I will try to add more before the next release.

Thanks a lot for the comments!