Finding an engineer

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by J_Z, Feb 9, 2009.

1. J_Z

J_Z New Member

Hey folks,

I'm just starting out here and looking to strike up a conversation with an engineer or 2. You see, I'm one of those artists that has been in the video game industry for 4 years now. I am really interested in the new game spaces that have opened up such as Xbox Arcade, Iphone, and other "lighter" projects (lighter compared to 3 year devs on AAA games).

So basically, I am looking for some engineering talent that is interested in taking their coding to the next level, maybe even make a little $$. Please share any thoughts you have!!

Thanks,

JZ

2. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I'm not available myself, but I am curious as to whether you're looking for a partnership, or if you have some game projects yourself that you want someone else to program for you, or some other kind of arrangement?

3. Acord

Acord New Member

You have the best chance of recruiting someone if you:

A. Put up links to your portfolio/stuff in your sigs
    B. Develop a fair amount of content for your idea first

4. J_Z

J_Z New Member

Fantastic, thanks for this information.

Sol, I am looking for a partnership, basically i get with 1 or 2 other people, share some ideas, and get rolling.

Acord, thanks for this also...i suppose it does help to have just a little information :D

For anybody interested in either sharing more information, or finding a little more about me, here is my website: www.coltranstudios.com. FYI, alot of my newer work is tied up in production, NDA's, which makes it so i can't show what i've worked on for the last 2 years, so it's not as current as it could be.

And, while i can't really post specifics about the ideas i have, i definitely have some stuff to share.

So anybody, if you want to know more about what i'm up to, please respond here, say hi, PM me, what have you!!

Thanks again everybody.

JZ
    www.coltranstudios.com

5. Acord

Acord New Member

Are you stateside or elsewhere?

If you're stateside, it doesn't matter what's in an NDA, you still retain authorship rights - even in work for hire, and you can still show materials you have done in your portfolio. No amount of lawyering makes it possible to deny you rights that are defined under copyright law.

Mind you, it has to be all original. So if you've done several models, but someone else textured them, then you can only legally show the *untextured* models.

6. gmcbay

Indie Author

What is legal and what is a good idea career-wise are two very different things. He might be able to update his portfolio without really worrying about a successful lawsuit against him, but that doesn't mean going against the NDA he signed won't ruin his relationship with his current clients and possibly give him a bad rep in the industry as the guy you can't trust not to spill the beans even when he's signed an NDA.

7. J_Z

J_Z New Member

Yeah guys, thanks a bunch for this info again. I guess I should correct my statement a bit, the NDA is obviously one thing, but these games have not been released yet, so that's where that fine line is coming into play. Actually, 2 of the prototypes i worked on haven't even been announced, which is where the work is tied up.

Anyways, i do appreciate all the responses, and really, no worries, I mean my portfolio isnt THAT terrible as is, is it ?! Hopefully not :D

8. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Your portfolio is full of awesome.

9. J_Z

J_Z New Member

Thanks man, you're too kind!