finally updated the website layout...!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Jack Norton, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

After some procrastinating, I decided was time to update the website layout:
    http://www.winterwolves.com/

I used the same one I posted here some weeks ago, but removing a bunch of (useless) JS and CSS I squeezed loading times. I'm mainly interested in knowing if the site loads faster before I move all the CSS and JS on the CDN (it's a pain to purge/update it).

p.s. I also found out that the "strategy games" link on the left menu was broken since 2 months! good thing I decided to update it...

2. Musenik

Original Member

seems pretty fast to me, for all the images.

3. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I've always liked your website's layout ^^
    The new version seems very similar to me but I guess you just tidied a bit more than changed the looks of it :)

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes true, has a new top and left menu, a new footer and is larger, but not much different from before indeed!

5. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I like it! One comment would be to increase the size of the logo on the top left and move it slightly up and to the left such that it sticks out farther than the white content panel a bit

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Thought about that, but since dealing with CSS and stuff is a pain I think won't touch it for a while. Is amazing how much time you spend for a simple website design!

7. Reives Freebird

Reives Freebird New Member

Looking nifty! Very clean and functional interface too. :) Something minor: I think it might be better if the five featured games can be separated a bit more with subtle borders or whatnot -- maybe it's just the fact that Planet Stronghold and Always Remember Me share similar colour scheme, but right now the 5 posters feels a bit like one mass to me at first glance. But again, that's a really minor thing and doesn't really affect much; it'd just be easier on the eyes imo. c:

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

You mean maybe adding a black border around the game rounded boxes ?

9. flavio

flavio New Member

I've some visualization problem (Linux, Chrome), this may interest you.
    [​IMG]

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author

uhm weird... I tried on Chrome PC and is fine!! Possible that Chrome behaves differently on linux ? Or maybe is a different Chrome version, I tried with Chrome 13.

11. flavio

flavio New Member

I don't know if there are differences, anyway my version is 13.0.782.112.

12. Reives Freebird

Reives Freebird New Member

Probably not solid black borders, since the page has a really crisp feel and that may mess with it. Some sort of subtle border, though, since the gaps between them are pretty thin. But that's a low priority thing; the page functions fine as it is.

13. Olofson

Original Member

Happens here (64 bit Linux) too, but only on Firefox 5.0. In Opera 11.01, alignment keeps the corners inside, as (I assume) intended.

When I run into this kind of problems, it's usually due to the browsers having different ideas about how to handle certain combinations of padding, margins, borders etc. Seems to be mostly because most of them ignore random parts of the official standard... You just can't rely on any of that working as documented on all browsers.

14. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

Loads pretty fast here. Firefox 6, Location: India.

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

@Olofson: yes, I don't want to get mad with ALL possible small/minor browsers bugs. It works the same on 99% of browsers/OSes so it's fine :)
    @Pallav Nawani: I tested it with my super-crap broadband (640kbps). Even here loads in less than 3s, so I think is good!

16. rioka

rioka New Member

Nice! I like the new look. Some things:

-You should make the font color different for the headings at the footer just so you can differentiate it with the text below it. For example, use yellow or orange for Latest News, Spread the Word About Us! and Other Sites. It'll really pop it out.
    -You should be consistent with the header titles in your footer. Yours right now is: Latest News, Spread the word about us! and Other sites. You should either make the "N" in news smaller or upper case the W, A, U and S in the other titles.
    -There's some spacing issues on the left-hand menu column. The Subscribe button is squeezed right next to the Facebook Like and then the Follow Us section. You should add a line break or whatever you prefer; padding, paragraph tag, etc to space it out some more. (Using Firefox btw)

Last but not least, I'm not digging the menu on the left. If you want it to look nice, just take out the tables (make them invisible), take out the background color, bold the text (URLs), make it a bit bigger (24px may be a good size), leave the unhover color a gray color and when a person mouses over it, make it turn teal. And take out the underline when a person hovers over it. You can keep the color for Categories and Our Games.

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Thanks for the feedback :)
    I agree with most of it, not sure about the left menu, since I like the alternate grey color for the rows. But as soon as the heat allows me to work on computer again will make a test with your suggestion to see if menu looks better as you say!